About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by Draxas » Thu May 02, 2019 4:56 pm

The Troglodyte wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:55 am
I don’t follow. Here’s all of the dialogue I’ve recorded from the Kohr-Ah thus far, and I’ve never seen them use the word “annihilate” (or weird misspellings of it) even once:

(snicker-snack for space)
All will become clear in time. Let's just leave it at that.

I don't even know why I would leave a spoiler here. Trog is likely quite literally the only person on the forum who doesn't get this reference.

Also, Krulle, have a great big sigh of exasperation in your direction for that "explanation."

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu May 09, 2019 12:18 am

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Mar 3, 2158 – Zeta Hyades VI-b – Red Alert

We’ve got 5 Druuge Mauler warships blocking our way to the surface of Zeta Hyades VI-b, and we’ve spoken with the Druuge to find out what they’re up to, and they said they’ve have traveled all the way out here to redeem what they believe is rightfully theirs; that of course being the Utwig Bomb on the surface.

They told us how it was they who originally brought the Utwig the Ultron device years ago, hoping that they could use it to trade for the bomb. Then came some Utwig proctor impersonation, whereas the Druuge captain approximated the proctor’s whiny voice, asking if the Ultron would give them the powers they crave, and the Druuge basically said ‘Sure, whatever. Yeah, it’ll give you psychic powers and make all of your wildest dreams come true!’ I mean seriously, the Druuge would’ve told them the Ultron would predict lottery numbers, wash dishes, chop wood and bring you your slippers if it would convince the Utwig to make the deal!

However, to help facilitate the final closing, they allowed the top dog Utwig to hold the device, but once the High Proctor touched it, she went into weird convulsions and contorted her body while babbling incoherent nonsense and howling like an ortog in heat! The Druuge had always figured they’d be willing to go for the trade, but this was getting ridiculous, especially since they thought the Utwig were performing some kind of elaborate act, but now I’m not so sure about that. Curious.

Anyway, as the Druuge were about to lay claim to their sought after prize, the Proctor proclaimed the Ultron itself had revealed what the Druuge really wanted, which just so happened to big a big pile of useless junk (but including ironically an Ultron replacement part) What could the Druuge do but accept the offer? It wasn’t as if they could call out the Utwig for not being the certified functional foreseeing artifact the Druuge claimed it was!

The Druuge have demanded that we leave and allow them to proceed to the surface to obtain the device, but we told them the device is ours fair and square! Finders keepers! Well, I guess we’ll just have to have a race to the surface and see once and for all who has the fastest shuttlecraft in the galaxy and mark my words, we shall be victor-- What? There’s not going to be a race? Well then, how do they want to settle this? Like a game of Poker or something? Oh, so they’d rather destroy us instead? Oh… well, that’s different. Guess we’re going to battle stations. Captain out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Thu May 09, 2019 5:19 pm

The Troglodyte wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 12:18 am
... which just so happened to big a big pile of useless junk (but including ironically an Ultron replacement part)
Funnily enough, the Druuge describe Wimbli's Trident and the Glowing Rod accurately, but completely omit any mention of the Rosy Sphere in their tirade.

That is because, of course, that the sphere is actually a legitimate and useful artifact that they ascribe real value to. The planet description from the lander team post-death-march for the Druuge homeworld makes this abundantly clear, but you are unlikely to ever see that during this playthrough.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Mon May 13, 2019 3:01 pm

First sentence of that spoiler appears to me to not be a spoiler.

What order is the death march in, again? Druuge THEN Utwig? Or is it Utwig first so there isn't really a point to the sphere by the time it becomes available that way?

krulle
Ilwrath torturer

Post by krulle » Mon May 13, 2019 4:45 pm

Death 999 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 3:01 pm
First sentence of that spoiler appears to me to not be a spoiler.

What order is the death march in, again? Druuge THEN Utwig? Or is it Utwig first so there isn't really a point to the sphere by the time it becomes available that way?
clockwise, First Utwig, then Druuge, iirc
edit: I'm wrong
They start with Druuge, according to wiki.uqm.stack.nl/Death_March, then clockwise to Orz, then up to Thraddash, clockwise to Utwig, then cross to Yehat, lower left corner, Humanity...
slihtly a clockwise spiral....
/edit

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed May 29, 2019 12:54 am

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Mar 3, 2158 – Zeta Hyades VI-b – Red Alert

It came time for the battle, but we knew that many of our ships would be at a disadvantage if forced to engage head-to-head against a Mauler warship.

The Umgah Drone, for instance, is severely overmatched; its only weapon and defense -- the antimatter cone -- is nearly impossible to position close enough to the Druuge hull, since the only thing the enemy ship has to do is fire off a shot to return it to a safe distance. Not only that, but the often times useful shield is nullified due to the high density of the cannon shell, which will bypass the colorful antimatter sprinkles.

Most of the other smaller ships in our fleet are also in over their collective heads. Although it is possible to use repeated gravity whips to get a Shofixti Scout to self-destruct near a Mauler, the best one can hope for is usually a partially damaged Druuge ship and minus 1 Scout either way… and we only have 1. On the other hand, the Zoq-Fot-Pik will spend most of its time just trying to get close enough to fire its molten pellets guns (and forget about any tonguing!) before its easily and fairly quickly blasted to pieces.

The Thraddash Torch is an effective ship against the Mauler, but its afterburner won’t come anywhere close to blocking Mauler projectiles, and the idea of attempting to whittle down 5 Druuge ships seems like an overwhelming task, and go ahead and add the Pkunk Fury to that list (plus it saves me from having to listen to Pkunk profanity for half an hour!)

We all know that the Arilou can take down Druuge ships by utilizing laser drive-bys and using the teleporter to escape to safety, but the very thought of having to repeatedly send in a Skiff back through time each time it fails to dodge just one hit to achieve the daunting task struck me as tedious… and annoying. And don’t even let me get started of Fwiffo and his StarRunner! Not happening. Period.

Even if the Syreen were successful, we’d probably lose a few ladies in the fight, and a Penetrator filled with Druuge zombified replacements would only give me nightmares. The Orz Nemesis would be effective using Space Marines to board their ships and toss the Druuge crew into their own furnaces, but since we have extra Shofixti recruitment we’ve had to fill a good portion of our fleet with Shofixti’s, including the Orz ship, which in itself isn’t a problem, until I noticed that the Shofixti had replaced their allotment of laser tridents with bombs strapped to their little furry chests, so I’ve decide against it.

This leaves the Terminator, the Tobermoon and, of course, my ship.

True, the obvious choice seems the Vindicator, since it can easily overwhelm any nearby Mauler, but I can always foresee one of those 5 Druuge ships each and every battle attempt warping in and getting off a shot before we can do anything about it, and I’ve grown weary of battles where I’ve seen my friends die around me; pressing the rewind button so many times has indeed taken its toll on me.

The Terminator is versatile, aggressive, and its shield would hold it in the fight and I’m betting if I sent it through the portal enough times their captain would emerge unscathed… eventually. I can only imagine the tireless hours of pursuing a Mauler over and over again, getting closer and closer only to raise the shields to block a shot and watch the ship hurl itself back to out-of-reach, and begin again, eventually they run low on reserves and play rock-scissors-furnace, and we repeat the process again, and again… and again. No thanks.

To be honest, if it would’ve become necessary I kept those other options in my back pocket, just in case I needed to play one those cards at some point, but I’ve ran the simulators and I know that when it comes down to it there’s truly only one ship in our fleet that has a distinct advantage over the Druuge Mauler: The Earthling Cruiser!!

The Cruiser can fire its warheads from a great distance and their homing mechanisms give them a decisive edge over the Druuge’s cannon, which themselves have to lined up in order to score a hit. Not only that, but when the Mauler fires a shot to avoid the hit, it is still within the line of fire.

We sent in the Tobermoon and they delivered the victory, blasting away all 5 Druuge warships with its nuclear missiles. A few times it seemed like the Druuge would warp in and hit the broadside before the Tobermoon could react, but the fast turning rate allowed it to present the most minimal aspect profile to the incoming attacks. Once a good distance was created, it was church. Fire. Charge. Repeat:

Yes, it’s kind of funny to think that this ship, as opposed to one of our more powerful and ships specifically designed for combat, but this simplistic, straightforward ship, mostly designed to be used as a workhorse, but a ship that was only designed to efficiently use as few resources as possible, allowing us to pump out as many as possible from the Detroit shipyards during the Ur-Quan War.

Its offensive allotment was designed to inflict decent damage with higher range and accuracy, and the powerful turning jets followed suit, sacrificing thrust for turn rate, just so a Cruiser could get its weapons off in time before a Dreadnought could lay waste to it. I even remember hearing rumors that admirals had hoped that cruisers could win the war, not because of their power, but because the Alliance could build over four cruisers for every Hierarchy dreadnought, but I guess in the end this strategy was ultimately proven wrong.

We have destroyed the final Mauler, and the smoke has settled as a hazy shade of Druuge debris cloud in orbit as it disperses slowly into space. We are entering orbit. Stand down red alert. Captain out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Wed May 29, 2019 5:39 pm

Well done. Welcome to the home stretch, Captain.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Thu May 30, 2019 3:01 pm

Poor Peeru…

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:29 pm

Death 999 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 3:01 pm
Poor Peeru…
you waited 4 years just so you could say that.
I always enjoyed the Peeru fanfics!

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:05 am

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Mar 3, 2158 – Zeta Hyades VI-b – Yellow Alert

After the unfortunate necessity of having to destroy 5 Druuge Mauler warships with the mighty and most gallant Tobermoon, the smoke has finally settled, and we have safely entered orbit of the 2nd moon of Zeta Hyades VI.

Besides the obvious, it’s a pretty run-of-the-mill moon; a Carbide World with no atmosphere, cold temperature, small mass and low gravity, with a few common elements scattered on the surface, but the sensors are also picking up an easily predicted energy reading coming from the southern region near a few of those deposits of minerals (which are most likely carbon of course)

We will continue to run all operations at yellow alert in light of the potential danger of the Utwig Bomb Device. We will dispatch a lander near the center of the surface to give ample space to allow the away team to approach the bomb with caution, plus I’ve left them with specific instructions to travel at a slow steady pace and to even creep up on the artifact at the slowest speed setting possible to avoid any accidental detonations.

Good luck team and remember… Tread lightly!

“The careful foot can walk anywhere.” – Chinese Proverb

Captain out.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Supplemental:

Here is the report from the surface:

(continued)
SCRIPT AND ALTHOUGH WE CAN’T TRANSLATE
ALL OF THE WRITING, IT IS PRETTY CLEAR
THAT IT IS A WARNING, REPEATED AGAIN AND
AGAIN.

THE ENERGY OUTPUT OF THIS ARTIFACT IS
SCARY – IT RIVALS ALL OUR SHIP’S
ENGINES AT REDLINE! IF I MAY BE SO BOLD,
CAPTAIN, I WOULD ADVISE THAT WE NOT
EXPERIMENT WITH THIS DEVICE UNTIL WE ARE
BACK AT THE STARBASE.

WE SHALL NOW RETURN TO THE SHIP, WITH
THE BALCK CYLINDER DEVICE CAREFULLY
STOWED IN THE CARGO AREA.

---- END OF REPORT ----

I’m glad that my well-disciplined crew managed to follow my instructions so precisely to the letter… NOT!

We will set course back for Starbase so they can analyze the Utwig Bomb. Hmmm… I am quite curious to see what happens if we experiment with the device, you know, just a little bit. Hey! I wonder what this button does?

Zelnick out.