About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

krulle
Reborn Shofixti

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by krulle » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:45 am

Be careful.

Your time device might not work in the vicinity of such a powerful energy output.

Also, I don't think you should carry such a powerful bomb into Earth's solar system. at all.
You wouldn't want to risk Humanity's cradle, right?

Minor spoiler:
[sp oiler]I did a save-game back then to test it though. I simply liked what happened, even though it was very predictable. But the game does allow it, while most games back then did not allow such an obviously foolish act.[/spoiler]

edit: broke spoiler tags after confirmation that The Troglodyte has explored this option. (see this post and the two before that).
Last edited by krulle on Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:09 am

krulle wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:45 am
Minor spoiler:
Yeah, if it were Sierra game, to overcome you would have needed something like a specific obscure line of dialogue from the very first Pkunk encounter, that occurs nowhere afterwards...
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:55 pm

One of only two non-standard game overs in SC2, the other being surrendering to the Ur-Quan. SC3 had more littered about, and they made far less thematic sense, but enough about that.

Is this even spoiler tag worthy? Pretty sure we've seen the surrender scene, and the device activation was just triggered maybe?

Borgie
Hunam adventurer

Post by Borgie » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:29 pm

I'm a little confused, to be honest.
This thread was opened in 2015 by Troglodyte. Is he still not finished?
I guess if something is worth doing, it's worth doing right.

krulle
Reborn Shofixti

Post by krulle » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:07 pm

He's doing his very best to document everything, explore all side-paths, makes extensive use of his save-games to jump back years in once and therefore has to replay many things again. And again....

Draxas wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:55 pm
[sp oiler]One of only two non-standard game overs in SC2, the other being surrendering to the Ur-Quan. SC3 had more littered about, and they made far less thematic sense, but enough about that.

Is this even spoiler tag worthy? Pretty sure we've seen the surrender scene, and the device activation was just triggered maybe?[/spoiler]
No, it's barely spoiler worthy, and I expect I could remove mine already, but waiting for confirmation that the time travel device of Troglodyte has a fail-safe function in case it's programmed user meets an unexpected event.

edit: broke spoiler tags after confirmation that The Troglodyte has explored this option. (see this post and the two before that).
Last edited by krulle on Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:36 am

If you guys are referring to wondering whether or not I ever actually activated the Utwig Bomb… of course I did!… but not before making the necessary precaution of saving my save game file to a separate location prior… you know, just in case the Utwig Bomb was capable of wiping all of my save game files, forcing me to start all over! Yikes! I shudder the thought. (which I’m sure I’m in good company when I say that)

And speaking of good company, welcome Borgie! I’ve always felt that anything worth enjoying is also worth sharing, (let’s not mention the exceptions please) so when I first came upon Star Control 2 and realized how its basic structure and setting seemed to parallel the exploration themed concept of Starflight, I decided I wanted to try a different approach, allowing the fun to spawn conversation and edification along the way.

If you haven’t already, I’d encourage you to start from the beginning and enjoy the journey for yourself and as always, feel free to bring up any topic or question, whether it be from present or past. Prosit!
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Elestan
Silly Supox

Post by Elestan » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:56 am

The Troglodyte wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:36 am
If you guys are referring to wondering whether or not I ever actually activated the Utwig Bomb… of course I did!… but not before making the necessary precaution of saving my save game file to a separate location prior…
I'm curious to see how you'll explain this, as your time portal system can't help you if it and you are completely incinerated in an instant with no time to realize what a mistake you'd made. :-)

krulle
Reborn Shofixti

Post by krulle » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:11 am

Also, yes we were referring to exactly that option.

Will you discuss this in-character, like saying you accidentally triggered a fail-safe feature in the device, thus making the device far better than before?

I will now go up and remove the spoiler tags relating to this in my posts.

Borgie
Hunam adventurer

Post by Borgie » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:57 pm

Thanks Troglodyte, good to be here.
I've actually skimmed through a bunch of your AI controlled ship v ship scenarios, and was quite entertained. Learned some stuff too. I’ll likely go through this thread in full when I’ve got some time.

It would be quite the cruel game implementation to have a device corrupt all saved games files. Something akin to Iron Man mode, I guess.
I myself tried the Utwig Bomb on one of my playthroughs, and was underwhelmed with the result. Not helpful to the end goals at all. Time portals are essential here.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:27 pm

As always, your logs are an enjoyable read.

Given the time machine concept underlying things here, I personally like to think that any situation that sees you brought back to the main menu via destruction is an implicit failsafe trigger. The time machine is hooked up to something akin to a MetaChron, but more short-sighted. At the point the time machine detects its immediately impending destruction, the time machine automatically triggers to set the vessel back to the last established chrono-checkpoint. No explanation, no exceptions, no nothing.

Confusing for all involved, no doubt, not to mention the groundhog day horror of having established such a checkpoint just before its demise and being stuck in an eternal loop of death, unable to stop the source of destruction from forever resetting the cycle. Do try to avoid such a tormentuous fate, Captain.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.