About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by Death 999 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:42 am

Mercury is surprisingly clement. Probably because they took the surface temperature average.

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:30 pm

I enjoy reading this!

PS: can you remove the no spoilers in the tiltle haha I think therewill be spoilers at some point
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:43 pm

Well, one thing's for certain...
If the saves keep going at this rate, there's going to be no space left real soon.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:58 pm

glory_device wrote:I enjoy reading this!
That's great! I was hoping some people might find it interesting to follow the endeavors of somebody like myself who's relatively new to the experience of Star Control 2 and see how I react to different events and situations, encountering them for the first time.
glory_device wrote:PS: can you remove the no spoilers in the tiltle haha I think there will be spoilers at some point
I'm hoping everybody will allow me to "have my cake and eat it too", and it seems your title change suggestion is really just 'tongue and cheek'. Hopefully, anybody who's followed this thread thus far understands that I don't wish to have any spoilers revealed to me, but I myself, if there's no objections, might be revealing some spoilers as I encounter them. Unseasoned lurkers beware!
Death 999 wrote:Mercury is surprisingly clement. Probably because they took the surface temperature average.
Having a very thin atmosphere, Mercury can be super hot (over 400° C) on one side and freezing (under -170° C) on the other, so your assessment makes sense. The hot spots could be representing localized areas on the planet's surface where the Lander would be more vulnerable to the increasingly higher levels of heat.

However, I don't understand the techtonics, unless they are moreso representative of meteorite activity impacting the surface and its subsequent ripple effect, since after reading up on Mercury, I wasn't able to find any evidence that the surface of Mercury would have earthquakes...or would they actually be called mercuryquakes?

And still yet another explanation could be that the Mercury we know today could perhaps be much different by the year 2155, depending on any prior mining and/or any other outside influence.
Quasispatial wrote:Well, one thing's for certain...
If the saves keep going at this rate, there's going to be no space left real soon.
Uh-huh, it seems you've already noticed my over-saving tendencies! Once I've depleted the allotment of open saves, I'm planning on re-saving any 'pivotal moments' in earlier denoted game slots, and continue onward in my over-saving fashion. I'm a stickler for not wishing to repeat unnecessary sequences, especially if I've already recorded it in my logbook!
Last edited by The Troglodyte on Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:23 pm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Feb 25, 2155 (Save Game 05)

We returned to the Starbase and gave Commander Hayes the radioactive elements he needed. Once he had power to the station he scanned our vessel and was quite surprised! I explained that the Vindicator was made from Precursor technology and we could use it to fight the Ur-Quan Hierarchy and free Earth! He's still not sure, knowing the risk it would mean to the station and the planet if we fail.

So, we struck a deal: If we can rid the Moon of the Hierarchy forces there, he will consider joining in our efforts to fight the Ur-Quan. Now it's time for me to put my money where my mouth is! He also informed me that there might be a dozen or so Spathi Eluders and Ilwrath Avengers. Yikes! I guess we're about to see what this baby can do!

We will set a course for the Moon. We are at Red Alert. Zelnick out.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:07 pm

Captain's Log - Feb 26, 2155 (Save Game 6)

We have entered orbit around the moon, Luna. We scanned the surface and an energy source is located in the northeastern hemisphere. There is also several objects that came up on the biological scan, along with some base metal elements. The biologicals could be hostile, like Spathi or Ilwrath troops, and the energy source could be an enemy base of some kind. I'm anticipating the worst, so hopefully we'll be ready for anything!

We will now dispatch the Lander to the surface of the moon. We are still at Red Alert. Captain out.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Supplemental (Save Game 7)

Luckily for us, we didn't find any Spathi, Ilwrath, or any other hostiles on the surface. We did, however, find a Moon Base with a very peculiar set-up. It's been abandoned but made to look completely operational, because its systems and equipment are all running, along with transmitters broadcasting endlessly, and there's even bulldozers on the surface pushing piles of dirt into random piles! Very strange. Why has the Moon, which is supposed to be occupied by the Hierarchy to keep watch on Earth, made to merely look as though it’s occupied? We were able to scavenge some useful items and equipment from the Moon Base, and we will return later to retrieve the base metal elements.

We will now set a course back to the Starbase and tell Commander Hayes of our discovery. Stand down Red Alert. Zelnick out.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:37 pm

Captain's Log - Mar 12, 2155 (Save Game 8)

So much has happened in the past several weeks, and I haven't even had the chance to make a formal log entry! Fortunately, I've been able to take many notes and important information during many meetings with Commander Hayes, which I will get to momentarily in the following log entries.

When I got back to the Starbase with news of the abandoned base, the Starbase detected the approach of an Iwrath Ilwrath Avenger. The Ilwrath jammed the Starbase's signal and hailed us, wondering where our starship of unknown design had come from and why we were there. As soon as they knew we were Human, they attacked! Fortunately for us, the Ilwrath Avenger had lesser crew than usual and a malfunctioning cloaking device, and the Vindicator was able to destroy it with minor casualties... eventually. I did have to use the time travel ability to achieve this, since many times our ship took heavy casualties. During these repeated encounters, however, I was able to change my posture during our communications with the Ilwrath, and during one of these talks, I found out that the Ilwrath had been attacking a race called the Pkunk in the Giclas Constellation.
Captain's Log - Supplemental

After successfully destroying the Ilwrath vessel, Commander Hayes agreed to support us and our fight against the Ur-Quan and to free Earth and the rest of the galaxy, and have declared ourselves the New Alliance of Free Stars!

We brought over the Precursor equipment from our ship, along with the Moon Base equipment, and also offloaded the minerals. While the Vindicator was in drydock, we fitted it, along with the Tobermoon, with an emergency warp escape unit. Commander Hayes has repeatedly informed me of the importance of gathering mineral resources, whether it be from planetside or enemy ship debris, and that these mineral resources are what make it possible to modify and enhance the Vindicator with thrusters, attitude jets, crew pods, storage bays, fuel tanks, dynamos, ion-bolt guns, also to build additional combat vessels, and supply our ship with fuel.

We can also add additional crew members to the Vindicator, the Tobermoon, or any other Cruisers that we build, but this will also obviously take away from the Starbase personnel, so the Resource Units (RU) will reflect this. The RU system is what Commander Hayes has implemented to help us allocate according to what the Starbase can synthesize with the mineral resources we have.
Last edited by The Troglodyte on Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:13 pm

The cruiser you have is really good at taking down Ilwrath with no cloaking capabilities and <9 crew - far better than the Vindicator. Why did you keep keep keep trying that instead of the alternative? Did you not notice that you have a cruiser?

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:42 pm

Death 999 wrote:The cruiser you have is really good at taking down Ilwrath with no cloaking capabilities and <9 crew - far better than the Vindicator. Why did you keep keep keep trying that instead of the alternative? Did you not notice that you have a cruiser?
Your logic is sound. And from a strategic gameplay point of view, the Cruiser should be the only option, seeing how it's obviously super easy to take down the wimpy, pathetic Avenger with a Cruiser, two shots and it's history! I could even let the cyborg do it for me if I wanted. But...that's just not how my mind works. It just doesn't fit the storyline in my head.

Ironically, I'm one of the greatest defenders of the Cruiser and its underpowered diminished role. However, so far the game seems to play out like a movie. Everywhere you turn, from the opening sequence of the strange and mysterious Precursor starbase factory building this spectacular ship, to Commander Hayes being taken aback by this amazing-looking vessel, even the Ilwrath seem somewhat awestruck by the Vindicator. The manuals, the dialogue, every reference I've come into contact with thus far are flabbergasted by the sheer awesome power of this starship!

But to send in the cruiser....ugh! For me, it would be like watching the Karate Kid from front to back, seeing Daniel struggle during those training sessions, being bullied by the members of the Cobra Kai, and fighting his heart out on his way to the top in the tournament montage while playing "You're the Best Around" (by Joe Esposito), only for Mr. Miyagi to bench Danielson in the finals to have some different protégé deliver the winning crane kick to Johnny's face.

It had to be the Vindicator, it just had to be.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:09 am

The Troglodyte wrote: the approach of an Iwrath Avenger.
Just wanted to mention, minor spelling fail there. Better fix that, before another Avenger shows up to deal with the spelling error personally.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.