Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Arilou Lalee’lay Skiff
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:53 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

I give you… the Arilou Skiff:

Oh, man! I haven’t done one of these in a while! Most of you probably already know the drill, but for consistency sake I’ll dial it up again, especially for any possible newcomers or persistent lurkers. I would like to discuss the Arilou and in particular their vessel… the Skiff. What do you think about this vessel? What do you think about the Arilou themselves? Can they be trusted?

Now that I’ve been playing the game and have recently obtained a few Skiffs of my own, and much like with previous ships, I really enjoy testing their abilities in combat, pitting them against various enemy fleets using the AI to see who will emerge victorious, and also so I can study the computers tendencies and use those results to my advantage; I imagine it’s as if they’re receiving training simulations aboard the Starbase before we set out on our mission.

I’ll be submitting those reports shortly, and of course I welcome anybody else’s analysis of the Skiff’s battle performance, whether by in-depth study like my own or in-game experiences (campaign or SuperMelee) or any casual observations you may have about the Skiff’s capabilities, advantages and disadvantages.

Post subject: Re: The Arilou Lalee’lay Skiff
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:25 pm 
Arilou wiseguy

Meh, when I play Arilou, my son always selects the Avatar (Chmmr). Which makes me sit at planet, waiting for him to ram the planet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:31 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

The Avatar, huh? Well, since you brought it up, let’s lee how they did…
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Did you desire this meeting, Captain, or did we?” – Arilou

3 Arilou Skiffs (3 x 16 = 48 pts.)
Vs.
14 Chmmr Avatars
(14 x 30 = 420 pts.)

Chmmr wins with all 14 Avatars! (1st Avatar – 50% crew diminished)

ANALYSIS: Teleporters and tractor beams had little to contribute in this undesired meeting. It was easy for the Skiff to approach their target, and the Chmmr were more than happy to accommodate. The Avatar was unable to rotate the front end of the ship in order to target their deadly Terawatt Laser, but it really didn’t matter… The Arilou had no way of solving the conundrum of the ZapSats, so they decided to ignore them altogether, focusing their efforts on delivering as much damage to the main vessel, but since the ZapSats orbit the mother ship, in this scenario they are basically 3 Arilou laser extensions outside of the target field, and therefore technically had a greater firing range than their Arilou aggressors (see above). Hey! No fair!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:05 pm 
Arilou wiseguy

Hence I sit as close to the planet as I can, and wait for him. His control is not good enough to fly past the planet and let only the ZapSats hit me.... Usually, he bumps into the planet.

Without the new ships of SC2 (only the old Alliance/old Hierachy ships of SC1), the Skiff was fine, but in SC2 a few gamebreakers appeared, that were in general well balanced, but some ship combinations simply did not work. At all.
Like this one. Also Shofixti Scout and the Avatar did not work balanced in a fight. Syreen Penetrator/Slylandro Probe. Umgah Drone/Chmmr Avatar (again range vs. ZapSats).

When creating fleets, you have to adhere to the points limit, which my son wonderfully ignores.... ;) In SC1, the balance by points was less important.

But then, I was back then, and am still now, happy that all ships were included in Super Melee, despite some of SC1 not being available in the SC2 adventure.
Most games of that time would not have implemented ships that were not used in the adventure. Heck, most games would not have included a "Super Melee" at all, and this feature is one of the reasons why people LOVED SC. This is how I got hooked: someone brought SC1 melee to school, we played it there (melee mode only). Then I went to go hunt down my own copy. And then SC2... And the melee added a way to practice handling of ships, as well as replay value to the game.

(minor spoiler, only marginally game story relevant, but a spoiler nontheless, hence for your sake spoilered)

Well, whom can you fight now?
Pkunk Fury? That match is better, both are very short range and highly agile.
Spathi Eluder -you're allied, right? Or did they...?
Ilwrath Avenger? The Skiffs are toast. Both are autoaiming (the Avenger when cloaked will autoaim for opponent when decloaking hrough use of fire-button) The Skiffs might kill one Avenger, but the burn rate will be high, since the Skiff has so frw crew, and the damage of the fire blast is high...
Yehat Terminator? - The Skiff can get one or two down, but will lose. Again, too small crew complement, while the terminator has high fire rate and good turning agility.
Human Cruiser? No fight in-game, the Arilou Lalee'lay Quick Babies would never fire on a Human... At least that's what they're trying to assure you of.
Orz Nemesis? - This might be interesting, as the Nemesis *Go-Go* can't really catch the Skiff, but the Skiff will also not autoaim to shoot down the marines (when mainship of opponent outaide of range)
Kzer-Za: you can do pretty damage, but the Kzer-Za will win.
Kohr-Ah: the Fiery Ring of Inevitable and Eternal Destruction (F.R.I.E.D) will deepfry you. Just hope he'll smack the planet a few times....
Who else do you know in-game already?

Otherwise: Umgah Drone, ZFP Stinger, and especially the Mycon podships are useful targets and practice material for skilled Human hands at the Skiff.... Possibly the Mauler (Druuge) too.
The Vux too.

Have fun, watching them DIE, very satisfying!

Hey, I was still editing and expanding while you posted the post below....!
more dits: even more corrections.

Last edited by krulle on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:08 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Let's see how those Scouts did!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“I will hang your withered reproductive organs from my posterior monitor! Kyaiee!” – Captain Tanaka

3 Arilou Skiffs (3x 16 = 48pts.)
Vs.
14 Shofixti Scouts
(14 x 5 = 70)

Shofixti wins with 11 remaining Scouts!

ANALYSIS:
Quickest battle ever. Here’s the recap: Skiff and Scout head for each other at high speed, get within close range of each other… BOOM! Repeat twice more and that was it! It’s unfortunate the Arilou’s AI wasn’t aware of the “fake-out teleporter maneuver”!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:54 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Just noticed your post edit krulle, and it looks like you just threw down the gauntlet! Challenge accepted!

krulle wrote:
Pkunk Fury? That match is better, both are very short range and highly agile.

“Anyway, I see in your future, that you will be jumping across the galaxy through dimensional doorways which are at your beck and call. This ability you shall receive from a mysterious, and yet somehow I sense, lovable alien race, called ArilouLaleelay, or LalilouArilay, or LoopylooHappyday, or something like that.” – Arilou

Vs.
14 Pkunk Furys
(14 x 20 = 280 pts.)

Pkunk wins with 1 remaining Fury! (The Arilou wins points-wise by 212 points!)

ANALYSIS: The Pkunk have retracted their previous statement of describing the Arilou as “loveable”. In fact, if you include the values of their 13 total resurrections (above), the Arilou actually won by 472 points! Incredible! The Arilou really had a special knack for getting directly behind the Fury, where it could unload on it and veer off to recharge. I suppose the Pkunk’s AI is unfamiliar with the “Death Blossom” (spinning and firing simultaneously); an unorthodox yet appropriate maneuver that would’ve been useful against the Arilou. Regardless, it was only as the Skiff charged in that it was most vulnerable to taking damage, especially from the Fury’s side cannons, but the action at times was so quick and fast-paced that it was often too difficult to see declaratively exactly what was taking place. I honestly don’t know if I could’ve done that well at flying against a bunch of Furys (as opposed to calling them “Furies”, which were subterranean goddesses of vengeance).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:00 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

krulle wrote:
Spathi Eluder -you're allied, right? Or did they...?

Well, we are allied, but we ran some simulations anyway since you never know when the “Black Spathi Squadron” might show up!
“Your behavior is clearly inimical. We resist discorporation.
Further contact between ourselves is pointless.”
- Arilou

Vs.
14 Spathi Eluders
(14 x 18 = 252 pts.)

Arilou wins with 2 remaining Skiffs! (10th Eluder destroyed 1st Skiff)

ANALYSIS: The Arilou resisted discorporation well in this match-up, although it took a lot of work. The Eluder’s best hope was to attempt to evade the quick Skiffs, which were a tad more maneuverable than the Spathi, but cannot match their top speed. This also meant that the Arilou were often chasing from behind, whereas the Spathi would turn and fire their main weapon, but when they’d reposition themselves, sometimes the Skiff could get in close and unleash a fury of laser shots into the easily targeted Eluder’s hull. The Spathi were slippery ones though, and their spasmodic tactical exercises kept the Arilou guessing their next position, and they would often times have to teleport out of harm’s way when the B.U.T.T. torpedoes would get too close, but they’d occasionally fire at (and sometimes hit!) the torpedoes, making it almost seem as if they were toying with the frustrated Spathi. A valiant effort by the Spathi, and the constant teleporting and playing catch-up by the Arilou made the battle time reach almost half an hour, but in the end their hard work and patience paid off.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:04 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

krulle wrote:
Ilwrath Avenger? The Skiffs are toast. Both are autoaiming (the Avenger when cloaked will autoaim for opponent when decloaking [through] use of fire-button) The Skiffs might kill one Avenger, but the burn rate will be high, since the Skiff has so [few] crew, and the damage of the fire blast is high...

The Avenger does “auto-aim” for a very brief moment upon decloaking by firing, but to me it seems more like “auto-pointing”, but let’s see how they did…
“You do not want to be seen.” – Arilou

Vs.
14 Ilwrath Avengers
(10 x 14 = 140 pts.)

Arilou wins with 2 Skiffs remaining! (9th Avenger defeated 1st Skiff)

ANALYSIS: Amazing performance by the Arilou! The Ilwrath couldn’t really make up their minds if they’d rather be seen or not as they repeatedly cloaked and uncloaked during the entire battle. The obvious reason for this being that the spiders were constantly put in the position of needing to fire upon the Skiff, which worked dutifully to stay within weapon’s range of its Auto-Aim Laser, but at the same time they’d need to engage their Cloaking Device as the Skiff outmaneuvered the Avenger’s poor turning rate, but never long enough to fully cloak since they would quickly catch up and fire their Hellfire Flamethrower, sometimes serving dual-purpose as a protective shield against the laser attacks (see picture above), but even through their best effort, they couldn’t keep up with Arilou’s quickness as many of the shots found the Avenger’s hull. In fact, during the course of this fairly long battle, the Avenger ships flew around in circles so much as each ship was whittled down by the patient and persistent Arilou that their spidery crews died dizzy and frustrated as their defense against the Skiffs proved futile.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:11 pm 
Arilou wiseguy

Wow, the Auto-pointing (you found the better word) was that rubbish? Damn....

And indeed, the Spathi are, with their low fire rate, indeed not suitable against the Quick Babiess jumping *ahead*... especially AI controlled...

And indeed, the AI is much better suited to fly this UFO than I ever was.
I clearly *was/are* not *ready*.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:34 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

krulle wrote:
Yehat Terminator? - The Skiff can get one or two down, but will lose. Again, too small crew complement, while the terminator has high fire rate and good turning agility.

See for yourself!
“NO! WE ARE NOT SLAVES!! WE ARE!… We are!… we are… Battle Thralls.” – Yehat

Vs.
14 Yehat Terminators
(14 x 23 = 322 pts.)

Yehat wins with all 14 remaining Terminators! (1st Terminator lost 9 total crew members)

ANALYSIS: Battle Thralls indeed. They took out the triplet of Skiffs with unrelenting fury, precision and haste; the poor Arilou were helpless trying to dodge the barrage of terror that came raining down like a meteor shower upon them, plus most of their efforts of trying to blast past their shields was equally as futile. Not even one kill this time krulle! A very one-sided battle.