The Earthling Cruiser

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: The Earthling Cruiser

Post by The Troglodyte » Sat May 02, 2015 9:40 pm

The Cruiser's archnemesis, the nemesis, its nemesis; yes, its name I insist is the Nemesis, is the nemesis of the Cruiser. I call the Arch. (arch opens)
The Orz Nemesis:
14 AWESOME CYBORG EARTHLING CRUISERS - 154 pts.
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG ORZ NEMESISs (NEMESES?) - 322 pts.
ORZ NEMESIS WINS 1.4:1 (14:10)

ANALYSIS: The Earthling Cruiser was at a disadvantage against the Orz Nemesis, but not by much. The Cruiser kept the Nemesis on the move by launching an endless barrage of missiles, the Nemesis was never in a safe place. The Orz's counter was to play a little "cat and mouse" with the Cruiser by making a bee-line for it and then heading the other direction after the Cruiser launched its missiles. Wisely, the Nemesis never launched any of its Space Marines, who most assuredly would have met a quick end, courtesy of the Earthling's Point-Defense Laser. Instead the Orz vessel relied heavily on hit-an-run tactics by closing in fast on the Cruiser, aiming its Rotating Howitzer Cannon, and firing its entire aresenal at the Cruiser, whose Point-Defense Laser was unable to compensate for the fierce assault. Close battle at first, but the Orz pulled away at the end with some intense, high-impact moves (and a few lucky breaks).
Last edited by The Troglodyte on Sun May 03, 2015 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Sun May 03, 2015 1:47 pm

I hope you've booked the full weekend to do the 14 Cruisers versus another 14 Cruisers }:D
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Sun May 03, 2015 4:43 pm

Alvarin wrote:I hope you've booked the full weekend to do the 14 Cruisers versus another 14 Cruisers }:D
I don't see the point of that. Regardless of the outcome, we'd still get a "Cruiser wins".
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Sun May 03, 2015 9:34 pm

14 AWESOME CYBORG EARTHLING CRUISERS - (154 pts.)
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG PKUNK FURYS (FURIES?) - (280 pts.)
PKUNK FURY WINS WITH A RATIO OF 2.8:1 (14:5)

ANALYSIS: There was only one Pkunk reincarnation during the entire match, and the ratio would have still been 2.33:1 had I counted it as a loss, which I didn't, because at that time the Pkunk technically didn't lose a ship. The Pkunk let loose a fury (pardon the pun) of its Molten Metal Pellets, which were put on display when the Fury used a version of the "Death Blossom" at close range and in conjunction with an over-taxed Point-Defense Laser that put on a spectacular display of flashes of light and explosions. The Pkunk gained more during these exchanges, and remained persistent by turning one-eighty while adding insult to injury (literally) to recharge its battery by using the Psionic Amplifier, and then commence another attack. Besides the Cruiser's cheap shots it would get with the laser, these were the only times it could fire its Nuclear Missiles, which the Fury could easily dodge as they tried to flank, or destroy them if coming in more directly. In summary, "Worm! Dummy! Fool! Dodo! Jerk!". Need I say more?
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Mon May 04, 2015 12:06 am

So basically, it's 4.66 cruisers to the fury?

That reminds me - I tried Spathi vs Earthling, and OMG I could NOT get that to work right - at least, not vs the AI.

I think the trick is to trigger the PD on your ship and then shoot. The AI is uncanny at shooting down the tight streams of bullets the Eluder shoots, all at once. That means that they didn't have the PD on and then flashed it when all the bullets were in range.

That timing... it's like like tossing a coin in the air and cutting it in half while it's spinning, so that both heads and tails come up.

Ogo3142
Hunam adventurer

Post by Ogo3142 » Mon May 04, 2015 12:37 am

Death 999 wrote:That reminds me - I tried Spathi vs Earthling, and OMG I could NOT get that to work right - at least, not vs the AI.

I think the trick is to trigger the PD on your ship and then shoot. The AI is uncanny at shooting down the tight streams of bullets the Eluder shoots, all at once. That means that they didn't have the PD on and then flashed it when all the bullets were in range.

That timing... it's like like tossing a coin in the air and cutting it in half while it's spinning, so that both heads and tails come up.
Just get to point-blank range, so the point-defense laser doesn't have a chance to shoot them down. The AI never attempts to approach the planet and never attempts to fire missiles at close range, so it's not that hard. A human who knows to use a gravity whip and to use the missile at close range would definitely be a lot harder.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon May 04, 2015 9:33 pm

14 AWESOME CYBORG EARTHLING CRUISERS - 154 pts.
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG SLYLANDRO PROBES - 238 pts.
SLYLANDRO PROBE WINS WITH RATIO OF 1.75:1 (14:8)

ANALYSIS: The Slylandro Probe had two different modes: Attacking the Cruiser with Electrical Charges or searching for an asteroid to recharge its battery while dodging Nuclear Missiles. Suffice it to say, the Probe was quite efficient at both, it made sure it was right on top of the Cruiser before it unleashed its "lightning in a bottle" Electric Discharge attacks, the Cruiser could only use what became essentially the "Point-Offense Laser", which became an effective weapon since the Probe had to get in close for its attack and only has a moderate crew count. The Probe could also swiftly retreat when its battery was depleted and seek out an asteroid for more vicious voltage assaults. The Probe could evade most of the Cruiser's missiles, and would sometimes perform these evasive tactics in a most peculiar way, seemingly giving chase to the missile when it activated its Instant Reverse maneuver. Occasionally, The Cruiser was able to take advantage of the Slylandro's tendency to stay nearby and in constant motion, by hitting the Probe with point-blank atomic blasts, but otherwise the match-up mostly favored the Slylandro. "We Come In Peace!" (but leave you in pieces)

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon May 04, 2015 10:24 pm

glory_device wrote:It got me thinking that one quick way to help a bit the cruiser AI would be to have a check to see if it is worth firing the point defense or not depending on the projectile. Can I destroy it in one shot? yes/no yes -­­> fire no -> screw that I lunch missile.
Ogo3142 wrote:Incidentally, the AI is especially bad with the Earthling in general. Oftentimes it will fire missiles while facing away from the target (usually because it's running away while blindly holding the fire button), which makes no sense given the Earthling's turning speed and almost always results in the missile dying long before it reaches the other ship.
I ran a couple of simulations while focusing all of my attention to what's going on in the little window where you can see what I presume is a guy on the right side turning a teering wheel and a blonde girl on the left pressing a large button.

As the battle went along, I noticed that what Ogo3142 said about the AI blindly holding the fire button is quite true! And kind of funny. In fact, there was never a moment during the fight that the girl wasn't mashing down repeatedly on that button! It was almost as if she was panicking while screaming something to the effect of, "Launch the missile! Again! Again! Hurry up! What are you waiting for!? Ahhh!! We're all going to die! Fire the weapon!".

Meanwhile, the guy steering also equally show signs of frustration, jerking on the wheel constantly while looking at his screen, even though he never does notice that big, huge planet creeping up!

The PDL indicator light is right between them on top of their conjoined seat, and seems to automatically activate when a projectile is in range, regardless of whether or not there's enough energy to deploy, or, like we've already mentioned, if it can even destroy the threat.

I would think that an awesome level AI should have more discernment and a more sound approach to maximizing the Cruiser's effectiveness.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Tue May 05, 2015 10:04 am

The Troglodyte wrote: ...
I would think that an awesome level AI should have more discernment and a more sound approach to maximizing the Cruiser's effectiveness.
If the AI is too good, there is almost no chance for Human opponent in most cases. FF and PR3 have mentioned it in one of the latest interviews. The AI had to be dumbed down significantly for the people fighting against it to have fun when they beta-tested it.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Tue May 05, 2015 11:20 am

Alvarin wrote:If the AI is too good, there is almost no chance for Human opponent in most cases. FF and PR3 have mentioned it in one of the latest interviews. The AI had to be dumbed down significantly for the people fighting against it to have fun when they beta-tested it.
Yeah. I, at least, would NOT want to fight the original Skiff AI. That thing was practically unbeatable, and thus it was probably not that fun to play against. It would have been nice if those original AIs had been kept as an option, though - a Hardcore AI or something.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.