The Earthling Cruiser

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: The Earthling Cruiser

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon May 18, 2015 1:23 am

Ogo3142 wrote:OK, here's that video. Just a warning for Windows users: make sure you uncheck that checkbox offering a "download manager" to get the actual download link. Sorry about the questionable host, but it's the first place I succeeded in uploading the video to. I don't know why I had such terrible luck. :/

http://www.datafilehost.com/d/e82c4a45
I couldn't get this to download at my work because of a firewall and my home computer gave me trouble as well, it wanted me to search the internet to download the appropriate player and I got paranoid. I would still like to check it out, but I'm technologically impaired (in my Amish paradise, that is). Is there any other way to view this?
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Ogo3142
Hunam adventurer

Post by Ogo3142 » Mon May 18, 2015 2:16 am

I don't know what player you tried to use, but it must be quite outdated if it can't play a VP8 WebM file! Anyway, VLC should play it just fine.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Mon May 18, 2015 2:17 pm

Ogo3142 wrote:Anyway, VLC should play it just fine.
That it did, indeed.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon May 18, 2015 9:11 pm

The Yehat Terminator is a personal favorite of mine. Their ship looks cool, its design is threatening yet sleek and stylish, and the name 'Terminator' is nice and appropriate, their weapons are like a twin-firing machine gun, which is awesome, shields are always a plus, and I've always liked their pterodactyl-like appearance, even though watching their in-battle picture makes me think they're probably dizzy following any battle with all the turning right and left they must perform to steer the ship; or at the very least a sore neck! The Yehat Terminator:
14 AWESOME CYBORG EARTHLING CRUISERS (154 pts.)
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG YEHAT TERMINATORS (322 pts.)
YEHAT TERMINATOR WINS WITH A RATIO OF 14:1

ANALYSIS: For the Earthling Cruiser, this battle was pretty much an exercise in futility in which the Cruiser could only try to delay the innevitable. The Yehat Terminator's High-Energy Force Shield was never penetrated by a single Nuclear Missile; its crew was probably more concerned with radiation contamination than the actual missile itself. When used at maximum battery level, the Terminator's Pulse Cannons could overwhelm and rip through the Earthling's Point-Defense Laser, which could fend off about half of the salvo while sneaking in a desperate Laser shot while the Yehat's Shield was down. These miniscule damage attacks finally resulted in the first Terminator's destruction by the final Earthling Cruiser; I'm feeling a strange sense of déjà vu suddenly. This was pretty much a "Rinse. Repeat." strategy that continued until all of the Cruisers were quickly dispatched by the Terminators.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue May 19, 2015 8:08 pm

EDIT: Ooops! Accidental double post! Nothing to see here folks.
Last edited by The Troglodyte on Wed May 20, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:26 pm

Ok, so you asked for it...so here it is! I pitched a battle between a fleet of Earthling Cruisers up against a rogue band of criminals who have somehow commandeered an entire fleet of Cruisers for their own nefarious reasons, including an attack on a nearby Alliance starbase! Will the valiant Cruiser fleet be able to withstand this unprovoked assault of space pirates? Will good overcome the forces of evil? Stay tuned! The Earthling Cruiser:
14 AWESOME CYBORG EARTHLING CRUISERS - (154 pts.)
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG EARTHLING CRUISERS - (154 pts.)
EARTHLING CRUISER WINS(?) BY A RATIO OF 1.07:1 (14:13) (big surprise)

ANALYSIS: My speakers immediately roared in stereo during the simultaneous launchings of nuclear missiles as both ships began to mirror each others every move. It looked like some kind of strange synchronized swimming, but in space, and no water, or swimming, just identical maneuvers from parrallel corners but in a perfect pattern sequence. This level of symmetry was in abundance during the fighting and would occur at strange times; the Cruisers would veer off and turn in identical patterns, put some distance between each other, and readjust their headings at the exact same parrallel position. There were two PDL fights in which the Cruisers would accellerate and continuously "bump heads" while firing their PDL, one exchange actually resulted in a simultaneous death! For the most part, the main variable was usually the battery, where one ship would gain an advantage over the other if it could launch its Nuclear Missiles AFTER the other, whereas the former would be inclined to activate its Point-Defense Laser, giving the latter a larger portion of energy to continue attacking instead of defending. Sometimes one of the Cruisers would be lulled into pursuing the other, whereas the chasing vessel would find itself compromised very quickly. In one of these chase skirmishes, a strange pattern ensued: One Cruiser was chasing the other, one would fire, and just before the missile would entire PDL range, the other would fire as well, and they would explode into a double fireball. This pattern continued for about five long, painfully annoying minutes, and had it not been for a stray asteroid finally disrupting this stalemate, it could have carried on much longer! Thank you Mr. Asteroid!

The following shows the death occurance interval by fleet and ship number:

B1,B2,A1,B3,A2,A3&B4,A4,B5,A5,B6,A6,B7,A7,B8,A8&B9,B10,A10,B11,A11,B12,A12,A13,B13,
and finally, A14

Looks like the bad guys won...uh...no, wait! What I meant was that Fleet A was actually the bad guys all along...yeah, that's right. Uh...er, Hooray for the courageous Alliance Earthling Fleet!!!

Last bumped by The Troglodyte on Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:26 pm.