IDF Reasearch Has Begun Indeed

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

IDF Reasearch Has Begun Indeed

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri May 15, 2015 9:55 pm

Just had a moment of slight apprehension. I noticed my title had changed from 'Androsynth Scientist' to 'IDF Research Begins'. I had no idea what IDF stood for, so naturally, I Googled it. (GoogleBot activated) I was a bit surprised when the first thing that popped up was "Israel Defense Forces', followed by 'International Diabetes Federation'. Seeing as how neither of these have any relation to Star Control (at least none that I can see), I thought somebody had deliberately altered my title in order to promote their Jewish military/blood-sugar propoganda. I've seen a few modified titles here and there so I thought for a moment I would forever be dubbed 'IDF Reasearch Begins'. A few more searches revealed that this is a legitimate title, but what does IDF stand for?
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: IDF Reasearch Has Begun Indeed

Post by Alvarin » Sat May 16, 2015 3:11 am

Inter-Dimensional Fatigue
If you didn't know that term yet, it would be spoilerous for you to research the term further.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Sun May 17, 2015 12:41 am

Aw man, there are jokes I could make off of that but they'd be such spoilers.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon May 18, 2015 1:03 am

Alvarin wrote:Inter-Dimensional Fatigue
If you didn't know that term yet, it would be spoilerous for you to research the term further.
Ok, thanks for the heads up. I will certainly be on the lookout during my game. If the title pattern is any indication, since 'Androsynth Scientist' is only for 5 posts, and by looking at other members' titles in the roster list it shows that 'Orz camper' comes into play at 100 posts, that would mean that 'IDF research begins' is only 5 posts as well. Therefore, I would deduce that there might be a correlation between 'Androsynth scientist' and 'IDF research begins'. Hmmm....
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon May 18, 2015 1:06 am

OH WAIT! An interesting new development! My title changed again to "HELP US!" What could this mean? And is my posting of THIS post going to change my title again to something like "We're all going to die!" or something. I can't stand the suspense! I must submit this post quickly to see if my title has changed again!

EDIT: Alas, I'm still "Help us". How anticlimactic.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon May 18, 2015 1:14 am

Death 999 wrote:Aw man, there are jokes I could make off of that but they'd be such spoilers.
You could always spoiler tag them. I'd make an effort to not read them, even though I love a good joke! I probably wouldn't get them anyway, though, since they would probably be inside jokes.

EDIT: A-ha! Now the 'Orz Camper'!

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Tue May 19, 2015 5:24 pm

Oi. Just play the game already.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue May 19, 2015 7:46 pm

Death 999 wrote:Oi. Just play the game already.
You're right. Enough stalling! The time for the ultimate quest is at hand! And your timing is perfect, as I just put the finishing touches on my gaming setup:

I was able to find a spoiler-free printable version of the map, which I was able to crop and print out on 4 seperate sheets of paper, which I lined up, taped, and colored in the stars with markers, along with several other smaller maps as well. This way I can chart my flight path and also use as a quick reference tool so I don't always have to look up the starmap on the game...plus it looks cool pinned on my wall! I feel like I'm in junior high again! ...but without the acne.

I decided to forego waiting on purchasing a brand new computer for the meantime; I was wanting to capture my adventure for reference and viewing leisure. Instead, I was able to procure 2 "low-tech" computers, one for the game itself and the other for quick reference and to record dialogue, places, events and any other information I obtain during my explorations, along with the captain's log. I can also use my tape recorder to make quick notes to self during the game, or catch any dialogue if I fail to pause the screen in time to write something down of importance.

Speaking of captain's log, I was going to share my log entries and I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread for that or just pick up where I left off on the "About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers" thread. Any suggestions?

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard » Sat May 23, 2015 4:42 pm

The Troglodyte wrote:
Death 999 wrote:Aw man, there are jokes I could make off of that but they'd be such spoilers.
You could always spoiler tag them. I'd make an effort to not read them, even though I love a good joke! I probably wouldn't get them anyway, though, since they would probably be inside jokes.

EDIT: A-ha! Now the 'Orz Camper'!
A while back and somewhere on this board I made a list of all of the titles up to about 600 or something. If I can be bothered I'll find the list, not that it was that exciting. I must have had a lot of time on my hands.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon May 25, 2015 5:53 pm

chenjesuwizard wrote:A while back and somewhere on this board I made a list of all of the titles up to about 600 or something. If I can be bothered I'll find the list, not that it was that exciting. I must have had a lot of time on my hands.
Well, consider yourself bothered..I'd love to see that list. How many posts until I can achieve the 'Bzzzz' title?