The Pkunk Fury

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: The Pkunk Fury

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:25 pm

"What about the Yehat? Are you friendly with them?"

"That depends on how you define friendly. We love our Yehat brethren, whereas they open fire on our vessels on sight. Fortunately, our psychic abilities allow us to sense the deep, abiding love, and yes, even shyness in our Yehat brothers and sisters. How we must have hurt them when we left so long ago. Soon though, it will be time for the loving reunion, as our destiny is fulfilled and we are once again reunited as one people."

"Is it true that you can really see into the future?"

"Yes it's... uh... wait... a vision comes to me! A shining light -- a crack in the egg! A swirling vortex... a tunnel. I see my past lives! Your past lives! More shining light! Ah, there it is now, the future! It's coming in clearer. Yes. I see tears. Tears of joy! They are coming from our Yehat brothers and sisters, who welcome us back to the nest, wings outstretched, beaks stuffed with grubs! Soon we shall return. Soon.”
4 AWESOME CYBORG PKUNK FURYS (4 X 20 = 80 pts.)
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG YEHAT TERMINATORS (14 X 23 = 322 pts.)
PKUNK SQUADRON GETS 0 KILLS.

ANALYSIS: Yeah, I don’t think these Yehat would be described as shy, and certainly not in the beckoning manner in which they would have their wings outstretched, or their beaks stuffed with grubs to offer as a welcoming gift for the Pkunk squadron. No, they had a different kind of “welcoming gift” in mind, in the form of a twin-firing Rapid-Fire Pulse Cannon! This battle was over fairly quick, even four reincarnations were hardly enough to delay their defeat as each Fury’s Molten Metal Pellets were repelled easily by the Terminator’s High-Energy Force Shield; only a few shots managed to squeak by when the shield was temporarily down. In turn, the Terminator had the look and sound of a gangster boss gunning down each helpless victim in a dark alley. Never bring a knife to a gun fight!
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:27 am

The Troglodyte wrote:Yeah, I don’t think these Yehat would be described as shy, and certainly not in the beckoning manner in which they would have their wings outstretched, or their beaks stuffed with grubs to offer as a welcoming gift for the Pkunk squadron.
Symbolism, you know. The "wings" were the hull-pieces upon which the guns were mounted, and the "grubs"... well, you can probably guess what those were, spewing out in storms of death.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:39 pm

Why did you make the numbers so lopsided, in favor of the stronger party?

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:46 pm

Yay! My bumping wasn’t totally pointless afterall! :D
Quasispatial wrote:
The Troglodyte wrote:Yeah, I don’t think these Yehat would be described as shy, and certainly not in the beckoning manner in which they would have their wings outstretched, or their beaks stuffed with grubs to offer as a welcoming gift for the Pkunk squadron.
Symbolism, you know. The "wings" were the hull-pieces upon which the guns were mounted, and the "grubs"... well, you can probably guess what those were, spewing out in storms of death.
Symbolically ironic even, plus an interesting interpretation of examining the Terminator metaphorically.
Death 999 wrote:Why did you make the numbers so lopsided, in favor of the stronger party?
Well, because of this, mentioned in the topic post:
It was The Troglodyte who wrote:Since I’m still unfamiliar with this ship and how to use it well, I’m curious how the AI would perform against fleets of other SC2 ships, but I wasn’t sure how many Pkunk ships to use against each fleet of 14, so I decided to roll a die 50 times and use which ever number came up most frequent. Then, a startling coincidence occurred, the first 26 rolls all came up 4! Hmmm…that’s pretty crazy odds! Well, no sense rolling the die the remaining 24 times, I guess 4 it is!
Ok, well…er, it seems a tad bit far-fetched that I rolled a four 26 times in a row. I really chose 4 since that’s how many the Pkunk leaders give you. Then it comes down to seeing how’d they handle the max amount allowed in SuperMelee as a 14-ship fleet to battle and test the outcome with both sides as Awesome Cyborg. I challenge anyone who think they’d do any better operating the ships themselves to post their results!! Any takers? Or are you chicken? Bok! Bok! Bok! :P
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:40 pm

Human pilots for any ship can and will do better than even the Awesome cyborg (with the possible exception of the Arilou). There are some really good melee players lurking around this board who can put those AI numbers to shame without breaking a sweat.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:45 pm

"We were not always the mystical, aloof - and yet caring - enlightened beings that we are now. If need be, we can still kick some serious butt!"
4 HUMAN PLAYER PKUNK FURIES (4 X 20 = 80 pts.)
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG YEHAT TERMINATORS (14 X 23 = 322 pts.)
PKUNK SQUADRON GETS 6 KILLS WORTH 138 POINTS.

Summary: So I just did a trial run. As Draxas says, the AI has its flaws, and it soon showed. My first Fury was able to take down a Terminator and cause considerable damage to a second one before it first had to revive, so in the right hands, the Pkunk are far from helpless. If I hadn't gotten sloppy, the kills would probably have been more numerous, but oh well. My point is proven nonetheless.

EDIT: Forgot the quotation marks above.
Last edited by Quasispatial on Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:50 pm

:D :D :D Super Awesome! Lovin' this! :D :D :D

Is anybody else as brave as Quasispatial and would like to give it a try? Can anybody take down more than 6 Terminators with 4 Furies and beat Quasi's score? Just remember to be honest! I don't wanna see : "Yeah, I took down all 14 Yehat Terminators without losing a single Pkunk -- no resurrections." Well, unless of course you're really that friggin' good...in which case we'll have a big party in your honor. And it doesn't have to be versus the Yehat either! Choose your favorite (or most difficult if you're feeling bold) Pkunk match-up and post your end results! There may even be other threads out there too if you prefer different ships...

Reality
ZEXy Beast

Post by Reality » Mon May 30, 2016 3:41 pm

I find the fast ships too be very fun, so I went ahead and did some of the easy ones.

4 Human Pkunk Fury versus 14 Awesome Cyborg Kohr-Ah Marauders

Result, 2 dead Furies, 1 reincarnation, 14 dead Marauders

The Marauder AI is particularly easy to exploit because A: The cyborg tries to lead its shots and B: Marauders have infinite range

All you really have to do is quickly tap the left and right keys. The Marauder will fire a sawblade, calculate your momentum, turn upwards fire another, then turn back to the straight shot. However, since he keeps re-calculating your future position, he will not hold down control, and will end up spitting out about 6 sawblades at minimum distance.

After that, he'll have no energy and you can approach without worrying about F.R.I.E.D. Additionally, as you close in, they usually panic and seemingly just hold down Fire without letting the battery recharge, which results in them only shooting like once every half second, and being completely unable to surprise you. Since they have a lot of life, you have to make multiple passes, which gives the asteroids and planet time to interfere.

4 Human Pkunk Furies versus 14 Awesome Cyborg Ur-Quan Dreadnoughts

1 dead Fury, 14 dead Dreadnoughts

They think the fighters are effective against Pkunk for some reason, so you can just keep your distance and get them down to 4 health by shooting them down. For the actual kill, the Ur-Quan try to face you as you close in, but if you fly diagonally clockwise to them, and then make a sudden switch to diagonally counterclockwise they will turn several facings too many, and then you can just exploit their slow turn rate to come at them from the back. This is also pretty much what I would do to a human Dreadnought that would be too smart to burn through its fighters.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Mon May 30, 2016 6:26 pm

"You will now open fire on our peaceful, and all but harmless ship, missing us by 2.7 of your metric units. We will then regrettably but efficiently destroy you and continue on our way."
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG CHMMR AVATARS (14 X 30 = 420 pts.)

PKUNK SQUADRON GETS 5 KILLS WORTH 150 POINTS.

Summary: The Chmmr Avatar is a deadly craft. Its main weapon slices a Fury apart in an instant, and the ZapSats only makes things worse for the poor birdies. Nonetheless, I was able to squeeze out fair value from my Furies, blowing up five Avatars before the last Fury fell, and with only three incarnations to boot. Those Avatars weren't in the most competent hands after all.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue May 31, 2016 9:43 pm

Reality wrote:I find the fast ships too be very fun, so I went ahead and did some of the easy ones.
4 Human Pkunk Fury versus 14 Awesome Cyborg Kohr-Ah Marauders
Result, 2 dead Furies, 1 reincarnation, 14 dead Marauders
4 Human Pkunk Furies versus 14 Awesome Cyborg Ur-Quan Dreadnoughts
1 dead Fury, 14 dead Dreadnoughts
Thanks Reality for the awesome fighting tips! I’ll definitely have to try out your methods… and welcome to the board! :)
Quasispatial wrote:
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG CHMMR AVATARS (14 X 30 = 420 pts.)
PKUNK SQUADRON GETS 5 KILLS WORTH 150 POINTS.
That’s very impressive against the Chmmr! -- I can’t even beat one with a whole fleet of Pkunk! I guess I’ll have to keep working at it! And you know I love the commentary to boot! :D