The Pkunk Fury

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: The Pkunk Fury

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:31 pm

"Perhaps if we put it in terms you could understand: Killing bad, bad. Is that better?"
4 AWESOME CYBORG PKUNK FURYS (4 X 20 = 80 pts.)
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG DRUUGE MAULERS (14 X 17 = 238 pts.)
PKUNK SQUADRON GETS 3 KILLS WORTH 51 POINTS.

ANALYSIS: If killing is bad, than the Druuge have it down pat; they killed Pkunk while throwing their own crew into the furnace over 20 times! The Pkunk tried to make the Maulers waste their energy by flying in and dodging the Druuge’s devastating Cannon, but the high velocity of the Dense, Heavy Projectile was difficult to dodge every time, especially when the Fury was trying to close in for an attack. The recoil usually served the purpose of keeping the Pkunk at a distance while giving the Druuge ship more time to aim at the target while it chased them. The ratio of the fight was close to 1:1, but only because the Pkunk had four reincarnations that kept them in the fight longer.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:42 pm

"So, you choose the dark path. I am saddened, and yet I feel a certain exhilaration, for with your destruction, the universe will be a better place, and it will be I who caused the change."
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG KOHR-AH MARAUDERS (14 X 30 = 420 pts.)
PKUNK SQUADRON GETS 3 KILLS WORTH 90 POINTS!

ANALYSIS: Taking down 3 Kohr-Ah Marauders is no simple task, so I guess the Pkunk squadron held their own okay. The Furys speed and maneuverability allowed it to weave back and both between the Spinning Blades of the Marauder. Usually the Kohr-Ah would unleash its Fiery Ring of Death once the Fury was in optimal firing range, but because the blast consumes so much energy, this worked in favor of the Pkunk, which darted out of the way and resumed its assault.

If the Pkunk could stay at a medium-close range, it could pick apart the Kohr-Ah vessel with ease by dodging Blades while alternating its own attacks with front and side cannons. The six reincarnations (four by the first ship!) kept the Pkunk in the fight much longer, but unfortunately, in the long run, it was too difficult for the Pkunk ships to maintain the desired distance and the Fury would eventually come in too close and collide with Spinning Blades that were fired ahead of it.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:09 am

In keeping with my habit of bringing up the PvP scenario in these threads:

Pkunk behaves strategically a lot like a light version of the big 30-point ships. Assuming it has a good pilot, the Fury is reasonably effective against a pretty wide range of ships, with relatively few trouble spots. It therefore fills a strategic role as a sort of wildcard, reasonable to use in many situations where you don't have a real counter on hand. (The 30-point ships, vanilla Ur-Quan excluded, are true wildcards. They're capable of destroying pretty much anything with great reliability, except about two counters for each.) Tactically, it has the best damage output, and arguably the best maneuverability, of any "flanking" ship (if you can just keep one of those cannons on target long enough). The "Death Blossom" is fairly useless (though pretty) for that reason; it's better to aim the shots as best you can, to take full advantage of that damage output. It's biggest problem is really that reincarnation is too unreliable; it really isn't worth 20 points without at least one reincarnation, so using it is a major risk in vanilla - you have a 50% chance of wasting six points or so. The occasional Pkunk that respawns dozens of times is pretty annoying too. (The probabilities are significantly reworked in the balance mod, solving both of those issues).
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:06 pm

"Seek the path of the trumble cart. Heavily laden, it rocks and weaves, but does it turn over? Only occasionally. You see? Also, one other bit of advice, Captain. For mundane material concerns, seek the help of the one-eyed beings."
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG MELNORME TRADERS (14 X 18 = 252 pts.)
PKUNK SQUADRON GETS 3 KILLS WORTH 54 POINTS.

ANALYSIS: The “one-eyed beings” certainly had their hands full, but their usage of their Confusion Ray made a dramatic impact on this match-up, for without it, the Melnorme would have needed to call on some assistance from an expert Keel-Verezy Weapons Officer or something to be able to hit those fast-moving Fury ships! However, the Confusion Ray helped level the playing field, since its long array fired ahead of the flanking Pkunk would disrupt the Pkunk vessel’s control and send it spinning, which resulted in a forced fluttering “Confused Butterfly of Death Attack” when the Fury would desperately fire its Molten Metal Pellets. This allowed the Melnorme to veer off and charge up for a devastating attack, whereas there was no need to charge up to a Purple or Red Blaster Charge; a well-placed Blue one was usually sufficient enough for the job. Whenever the Pkunk ship was free of the disorienting dampening field, the Fury was completely capable of taking down a Trader with little trouble, as long as it stayed out of the line of fire, but unfortunately it was unable to do so for an extended period of time.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:43 pm

"I can only tell you to contemplate the small gobbet stone. The stone is spewed forth from the gullet of a Wart Wumpet to land in a moving stream. Does the fish swallow the stone? Perhaps, but that is not the point. Is the stone round? Yes! Does it have little disgusting nodules on it filled with slimy viscous fluid? Only sometimes! What is the point? The point is clear! Make friends with other species."
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG ORZ NEMESES (14 X 23 = 322 pts.)
PKUNK SQUADRON GETS 4 KILLS WORTH 92 POINTS!

ANALYSIS: Points-wise, the Pkunk held their own in this battle quite admirably, but this was mostly because each Fury had a reincarnation. The Orz released a few Space Marines right from the start, and each time the Fury would retreat and intercept the Nemesis from the opposite side, a few more Space Marines were unleashed to try and keep the Pkunk off-balance. Once a Space Marine boarded, it was certain and quick death for the few Pkunk inside; I’m guessing their close quarters combat skills aren’t exactly formidable.

Even when the Fury managed to slip past the wall of Marines, there was still the Rotating Howitzer Turret to contend with before they could get close enough to blast the Orz vessel with their Molten Metal Pellets. The Pkunk basically tried to make it a battle of attrition (with a little luck mixed in as well), and focused on engaging the Orz after their crew was depleted from launching so many Space Marines, and finish off the Nemesis while half of their crew was floating around in space. If both fleets would have had the same amount of ships, the Pkunk may have even won this match.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:08 pm

"WE COME IN PEACE."

"We extend our wing tip to you in a gesture of unwarranted compassion. Open your heart and become one with your happy self. Let us help you. Let us heal you. Let us love you. Don't be afraid of love. Are you afraid of love? Are you afraid of yourself? We love you... friend."

"THIS IS PROBE 2418-B. WE ARE ON A PEACEFUL MISSION OF EXPLORATION. PRIORITY OVER-RIDE. NEW BEHAVIOR DICTATED. MUST BREAK TARGET INTO COMPONENT MATERIALS."
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG SLYLANDRO PROBES (14 X 17 = 238 pts.)
PKUNK SQUADRON GETS 1 KILL WORTH 17 POINTS.

ANALYSIS: I’m guessing things didn’t go so well during first contact with the Slylandro; the Pkunk seemed to be at a complete disadvantage against their Probes, which could match the speed and maneuverability of the Pkunk ships with one arm tied behind their back… or whatever would be the “arm” equivalent. Then the exchange of fire would commence, and the Probes outgunned the Fury with their ability to dodge and keep the Pkunk ship at arms-length (again, the equivalent), only to turn on a dime and jet back in close and blast the Fury with a powerful Electrical Discharge. To make matters worse, the Slylandro would escape with only partial damage and could recharge by absorbing an asteroid en route to the next Fury entering combat. These overwhelming assaults would fry each Pkunk vessel’s hull in seconds, and even with reincarnation, this one over very quickly. A complete mismatch for the Pkunk Fury.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:51 pm

"Whoopdy Dee and Trolly Bazoo! This is what I say when I am in a good mood. Are you in a good mood today? Please allow me to give you some advice. Rather than become tense, and fire weapons at other people's ships, simply say, 'Whoopdy Dee and Trolly Bazoo!' You will feel much better and you will be much more popular."
4 AWESOME CYBORG PKUNK FURYS
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG SUPOX BLADES
PKUNK SQUADRON GETS 5 KILLS WORTH 80 POINTS!

ANALYSIS: It would appear that the Supox were not in a good mood today. While watching this battle unfold, it was difficult to determine at times which ship was moving what direction, considering the Blade vessel can use its Omni-directional Thrusters to strafe back and forth and side to side, while the Fury was usually busy spinning around in anticipation to figure out how to get closer while avoiding the Toxic Globule Launcher of the Supox ship. These crazy and often times unpredictable maneuvering tactics brought about both ships taking potshots at each other, many of which didn’t even come close to hitting their intended target due to them trying to lead their shots too much. Inevitably both ships were forced to engage at closer distance and an exchange of fire would damage both ships; if it weren’t for six very helpful reincarnations the Pkunk would have been at a disadvantage. However, when it was all said and done this match turned out to be a push as it pertains to points.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:32 pm

"Violent fool! Begone! My feathers are ruffled! Away!"
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG THRADDASH TORCHES (14 X 10 = 140 pts.)
PKUNK SQUADRON GETS 7 KILLS WORTH 70 POINTS.

ANALYSIS: Well, the Pkunk’s feathers were certainly ruffled alot during this battle. They had a difficult time engaging the nimble Thraddash ships, who used their Plasma Afterburner to quickly accelerate and keep their distance from the Fury, which needed to get in closer to inflict damage. There was lots of “cat and mouse” tactics going on during this match along with lots of dodging (especially by the Pkunk) and feeling each other out while looking for an opening. The Pkunk would gain an advantage when they focused on a full frontal assault with a close-range full spread attack, which could shred a Torch in seconds when successful. Unfortunately, the Pkunk were way too timid to maintain this direct approach and the Thraddash performed much better when they kept their Torch vessels at a distance and were patient using their Frontal Mark VI Blasters to pick apart the Fury ships with well-aimed rocket strikes. Once a Pkunk panicked and attempted to hastily rush in or flank attack, they were met with a wall of plasma fire as the Torch retreated using its Afterburner, and the high damage of the fire accounted for two Pkunk ships being destroyed instantly.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:43 pm

"Yes, yes. We know all that. We are not known throughout the galactic sector as powerful psychics for nothing! Of course we already know the answer to this next question too, but we enjoy conversation.”
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG UTWIG JUGGERS (14 X 22 = 308 pts.)
PKUNK GETS 0 KILLS.

ANALYSIS: The Utwig will be holding a service today for the fallen two crew members who died during a small, brief moment when their Shields were temporarily down during an attack by the last Pkunk ship. Unfortunately for the Pkunk, there’s nobody left to hold a funeral, and even their three reincarnations didn’t help change matters whatsoever. This was basically target practice for the Utwig, the Jugger’s Battery-Independent Cannons made short work of the Fury vessels. Usually, even when outgunned, the Pkunk can rely on the quick speed of their Fury ships to keep them fighting in any battle, but it was a much different story since the widespread firing of the Utwig weapon greatly widens its own field of fire; its blast radius is like a space shotgun that narrowed the Pkunk’s chances for escape. Apparently the Pkunk’s psychic abilities didn’t see this onslaught coming.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:37 pm

"Unlike certain other species, we Pkunk are on an inherently peaceful and loving people. Combat does not come easily to us. In order to be at all effective, we find it necessary to whip ourselves into an emotional frenzy."
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG ZOQ-FOT-PIK STINGERS (14 X 6 = 84 pts.)
PKUNK SQUADRON GETS 6 KILLS WORTH 36 POINTS.

ANALYSIS: Combat did not come easily for the Pkunk today, not because they couldn't work themselves into a frenzy, but rather because the Zoq-Fot-Pik made things so frustrating for them. The Stingers could rival the speed of the Fury ships, which the ZFP used to their advantage by allowing the Pkunk to chase after them, then they could turn and fire as the Fury approached. While the Stinger's spread fire of the Anti-matter Nebulizer made aiming much easier for the Zoq-Fot-Pik, the Pkunk had their work cut out for them as they needed to achieve maximum velocity to close-in on the Stinger ships, but this left them open to taking more damage from the main weapon, as well as the Plasma-injecting Drilling Tube, which they were fortunate enough to dodge two close "tongue attack" attempts that almost connected. The ZFP had to destroy a total of eleven Pkunk vessels, since they had to contend with seven reincarnations, but they were up to the task and achieved a great victory in this battle.