The Pkunk Fury

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: The Pkunk Fury

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:46 pm

"I see in your future, that you will be jumping across the galaxy through dimensional doorways which are at your beck and call. This ability you shall receive from a mysterious, and yet somehow I sense, lovable alien race, called ArilouLaleelay, or LalilouArilay, or LoopylooHappyday, or something like that."
4 AWESOME CYBORG PKUNK FURYS (4 X 20 = 80 pts.)
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG ARILOU SKIFFS (14 X 16 = 224 pts.)
PKUNK SQUADRON GETS 3 KILLS WORTH 48 POINTS.

ANALYSIS: I'm betting the Pkunk wished they could've found one of those dimensional doorways to get the heck outta there! The speed of the Skiff’s Inertia-less Drive was only matched by its Ventral Auto-Aiming Laser’s firing speed, both of which zeroed in on each Pkunk that entered the battlefield , whether it was one of the 6 reincarnated Fury ships or not. The ArilouLaleelay may have less crew than letters in their full name, but this did not in any way cause them to shy away from a very aggressive approach; they must've realized challenging the Fury squadron to a test of hit-and-run tactics might put them at a disadvantage, so they threw caution to the wind, but would still deploy their Short-Range Hyperdrive to transport out of harm’s way on occasion to prevent a full barrage of Molten Metal Pellets from quickly destroying their hull. The Pkunk really struggled in this one.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:20 pm

"...we do recognize that some of the souls in this universe have lived many lives, while others are but spiritual chickadees. I have lived thirty-eight lives, a paltry number compared to those wise and ancient souls who guide our race."*
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG CHENJESU BROODHOMES (14 X 28 = 392 pts.)
PKUNK SQUADRON GETS 2 KILLS WORTH 56 POINTS.

ANALYSIS: A very quick battle, mostly in part because of the precarious situation presented to the Pkunk, who seemed to know they would need to stay on the offensive; otherwise, they would most assuredly have been spending the entire battle dodging not just long-distance Photon Crystal Shards but a contingent of DOGGIES as well. No matter the circumstance, the Chenjesu always like to immediately deploy a D.O.G.I., since it takes all of their battery at full charge to do so, and the Fury would react by heading in full steam to catch the Chenjesu off guard.

However, the Broodhome can still pack a punch even at low battery due to their fast regeneration speed, and they could quickly retaliate with a rapid crystal fragmentation defensive sequence, and the Fury would be forced to a hasty retreat after firing its full salvo into the Broodhome's hull, which did inflict significant damage, but the Chenjesu's large crew compliment could handle losses better than a Pkunk ship, which could only toss insults as it veered off while slowly recharging its own battery.

Once a Fury vessel was in the line of fire on its way back for another run, one direct hit or several exploding crystals made a quick end of the Pkunk vessel. During one exchange the same Pkunk ship reincarnated three times in a row, only to be obliterated again and again by direct hits before it even came within striking distance of the Chenjesu! Talk about re-living your past lives... and with the same unfortunate results!"

*-edited for content
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:31 pm

"Though you are far too crude and stupid to realize this, Captain, we ARE fulfilling your every whim, your every desire. It is just that you don't know what you really want. We do. Why even now, your soul touches mine and I become aware that deep down inside you wish us to punish you for your arrogance and bellicosity."
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG EARTHLING CRUISERS (14 X 11 = 154 pts.)
PKUNK SQUADRON GETS ALL 14 KILLS WORTH 154 POINTS!!!

ANALYSIS: The Pkunk implemented their battle strategy to perfection; their all-out barrage attack method worked very well against the fleet of Cruisers. The “Earthlings,” on the other hand, were between a rock and a hard place: their use of the Nuclear Missile was chancy at best (even when they fired facing the right direction,) and when the Fury would close in for an attack and begin to bombard the Cruiser ship with Molten Metal Pellets, the Humans attempted to use their Point-Defense Laser as an offensive and defensive weapon, neither of which worked. This battle ended in dramatic fashion, since both opponents were down to their last ship, and the Pkunk landed the final blow with only one crew remaining! What a spectacular finish and big win for the Pkunk!

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:43 pm

"We have calculated that at our present rate of attrition, we will exist only on the spiritual plane in a matter of a year or so. Of course, the physical realm does hold a certain course attraction, a material quaintness, if you will. We will be somewhat disappointed to have to leave it."
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG MMRNMHRM X-FORMS (14 X 19 = 266 pts.)
PKUNK SQUADRON GETS 2 KILLS WORTH 38 POINTS.

ANALYSIS: I think the Pkunk’s rate of attrition just went through the roof! The Mmrnmhrm used it laser superiority factor to its advantage, simply because any Fury that found itself in range was incinerated within a few seconds. If the initial blast didn’t destroy the Pkunk vessel, the X-Form would transform into the Y-Form to match the Fury’s speed and get in a few cheap shots with its Missiles while it recharged for another transformation. This forced the Pkunk to rely on an endless cycle of pursuing followed by fleeing; they could chase the Transformer in Y-Form but usually couldn’t get in range, and once it changed to the slower form and they were in range, their firepower was not match for the Mmrnmhrm’s double-blasting Laser Cannon.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:09 pm

"I will hang your withered reproductive organs from my posterior monitor!”

"Ah, an insult... a sometimes necessary and constructive release of tension. Now perhaps you feel better, and we can deal with your real problems."

“You limp, bloodless sack of decaying flesh Ur-Quan! You die! Kyaiee!”
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG SHOFIXTI SCOUTS (5 X 14 = 70 pts.)
PKUNK SQUADRON GETS 13 KILLS WORTH 65 POINTS.

ANALYSIS: Each and every time the two ships would face off, they both would use their fast speed and maneuverability to attempt to gain an advantage over the other, but this proved to be a stalemate. After some minor damage was inflicted to each ship, they would inevitably get close enough to each other to allow for the Shofixti to activate the Glory Device, and both ships would be destroyed. The only question remaining was whether or not the Fury would resurrect, and luckily for them it was nine times. Unfortunately, they really needed a tenth time.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:52 pm

"Through the haze I see beautiful humanoid women who have been driven from their home. I see a leg moving back and forth. I see their home planet. It is ill, infected with a burning disease. I see you handing the fetching humanoid female a piece of fungus. she is angry... but not at you Captain. You are smiling at the beautiful woman. She is smiling back. I see you and the woman... oh... um... I didn't know humans could do that! The vision ends there."
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG SYREEN PENETRATORS (13 X 14 = 182 pts.)
PKUNK SQUADRON GETS 0 KILLS WORTH 0 POINTS.

ANALYSIS: Usually the Pkunk's ability to sometimes resurrect is seen as lucky and fortuitous, but this match-up might be an exception to the rule, at least for this particular Pkunk contingent. In fact, an instant reincarnation only served to better the Syreen, since they could snatch up more from each ship that returned from the afterlife using their Hypnotization Projection Field followed up by a quick Particle Beam Stiletto to finish off the Fury while quickly scooping up the brainwashed birds, allowing them to join the duplicates of themselves aboard their new nest. The Pkunk did their very best to stave off the advance of the Penetrator ship and mounted a full-fledged assault when they were down to the final fowl, but whatever damage they did was easily replenished with the following Pkunk vessel that arrived. Since each Syreen Penetrator begins with twelve crew, and taking into account by the time the battle was finished it had about three times that, the final score for the Pkunk shouldn't have been zero...it should have actually been around negative thirty-six! Yikes!

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:48 pm

The Troglodyte wrote:...allowing them to join the duplicates of themselves aboard their new nest.
Hmm, that is going to be quite... interesting, once they are released from the Syreens' mind control.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:24 am

Why use spoiler tags? I think you're the only one avoiding spoilers here, many of the rest of us saw that dialog over 20 years ago (damn, has it really been that long?).

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:37 pm

Quasispatial wrote:
The Troglodyte wrote:...allowing them to join the duplicates of themselves aboard their new nest.
Hmm, that is going to be quite... interesting, once they are released from the Syreens' mind control.
It makes one wonder what effects of this unique form of temporal duplication would come to pass as a result.
Draxas wrote:Why use spoiler tags? I think you're the only one avoiding spoilers here, many of the rest of us saw that dialog over 20 years ago (damn, has it really been that long?).
Yeah, it probably wasn’t necessary and was a last second decision on my part. I like opening with a quote or observation that fits, and this was the only one I could find where the Pkunk mentioned what I presumed were the Syreen, but I wasn’t 100% sure.

I’m also still unsure (even though I have a hunch) what the dialogue means exactly since I haven’t confirmed or investigated it yet, so I decided to go ahead and place the tags as a precaution, just in case, for example, I was taking the entire quote out of context, or if somebody like a rarely-speaking lurker wanted to comment something about it I hadn’t yet discovered, they would perhaps notice the tags and follow suit.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:36 pm

Don't get me wrong, it's a fun quote. Keep it in the back of your mind as you play (along with any other predictions the Pkunk might have made). ;)-smf