the multi ship what if

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: the multi ship what if

Post by Quasispatial » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:00 pm

So, things have been progressing nicely. As a teaser of sort, allow me to introduce... [insert drum roll here]
The Arilou Skiff:

(Width-height relation may not be 100% accurate, as the actual image is way too large to actually display sensibly in this place. Hopefully I managed to get it right enough.)
The various numbers and other text-pieces will be explained in greater detail at a later date.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:05 pm

Wow! Super awesome. Looks like things are progressing well! :)

I'm anxious to find out what those numbers are for! ;)

Any luck on a hex-grid map yet?
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:23 pm

Oh, don't even get me started on that. I have no idea how we are going to accomplish that. I tried using roll20, but as it turns out, I cannot simply extract the hex-field clean-off from there which kind of ruined the whole point of using it for that purpose in the first place, and taking a screenshot doesn't work for obvious, quality-related reasons. And no, unless you have the Mycon's sun device to speed the process, I will not be painstakingly copy-pasting hundreds of hexes one-by-one. I would rather get this finished during my own life time, thank you very much. We will have to think of something, but in the meantime, if you have any other ideas don't hesitate to share them!
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:04 pm

You can copy-paste hundreds of hexes much more quickly by re-selecting and copying groups of them. Exponential growth speeds things up a lot.

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:30 am

Well I doodled with this for about 5 seconds...Was able to generate mostly any map size I wanted. You can even do a star themed backgroud! http://www.hexographer.com/free-version/

You can save to PNG after that...all you need after is to either print your map or paint over it (preferably with a software that provides layers so you can easily move on it)

:mrgreen:
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:38 am

Ooooh, nice find. Though I'll admit it isn't the most good looking hex-creator in existence, it will serve its purpose, at least until (or if) we can come up with a more permanent solution.

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:40 pm

I took the first link that led to hex map generator on google...didn't bother to look further after that ;)
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:48 pm

A little update on the project:

The rulebook is mostly done. We will recheck it again just to be on the safe side and ensure that we are happy with it.

All that is left now is to finish the cards for ships and stuff like that so that we can start alpha testing this game to see if it is somewhat balanced and feel like star control.

You will need a 8 faced dice (or a generator online) and a map that you can play on.

For the moment, since you do online play, we recommend that you use a layer based software (paint.net for example) so that ship on the map are simply 1 layer each that you move. You can also try to enjoy it with a friend by printing stuff out! Feel free to play however you want :)

The release is soon(tm)

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:48 pm

So, at last, here comes an explanation for what all the card numbers do. We have completed all fourteen ships, including cards for the DOGI, Limpet and Ur-Quan fighter, and are about to enter the earliest phase of Alpha testing.
We figured this was a good time to show you what the previous teaser's manu values meant, so without further ado, here it is.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:12 pm

This is looking great! Maybe, when you get a chance, throw us another card and/or perhaps a few pointers on how to examine the differences as to what's advantageous or disadvantageous.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh