So My Dad Was Going Through Some Old Stuff This Morning…

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

So My Dad Was Going Through Some Old Stuff This Morning…

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:13 pm

And Found These!!! :o

Both of my parents (especially my Dad) have been going through old stuff and finding things from my childhood, and I haven’t seen this stuff since I was a kid! He just sent me this pic a little while ago.

It’s an awesome find! And I hope they still work! :D
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Tormuse
Orz *camper*

Re: So My Dad Was Going Through Some Old Stuff This Morning…

Post by Tormuse » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:37 pm

That's quite a find! Good luck finding a computer with a 5 1/4" disk slot on it. :) (Actually, even the 3.5" disk slots are hard to come by these days; everything uses USB)

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:43 pm

Fortunately, I actually do have an older computer with a 3 1/2" drive! ;)

Assuming the disk still works and loads up okay, my only other obstacle will be answering Professor Zorg's questions without the aide of the code wheel. If I'm remembering correctly (considering it's been over several decades) I used to type in the answer "IGNORE" over and over until it worked.

I'm visiting my folks for Thanksgiving (this Thurs) and I'm going to bring it home and try it out. I already have the downloadable version of Star Control 1, but I wasn't ever able to find the old PC version on-line, and I've noticed a few subtle differences:

Besides the older campaign missions of which some have been slightly altered, my favorite feature was being able to create your own custom scenarios. You could decide what the starting funds and any ships each side would have at the very beginning, as well as any colonies or mines, and if or not they would even have a Starbase! You could even choose if there were any Precursor artifacts to be found in random locations, and you also gave the amounts of how many mineral, life and dead worlds would exist in the star cluster (I think up to 50 total.)

This was super fun for me, because I enjoyed coming up with different scenarios and put the AI up against itself and see who would emerge victorious! Hopefully, I'll be doing that very thing once again very soon! :D
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Tormuse
Orz *camper*

Post by Tormuse » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:36 pm

Yeah, I remember having a lot of fun with the scenario edittor back in the day. :) I think, at one point, I tried to challenge myself by giving the AI opponent a fleet of Hierarchy ships and giving myself just a Shofixti scout, Starbase, and no money, so I would have to build up my mines, colonies, and forces completely from scratch.

As for professor Zorg, I'm pretty sure you can just look up the answers online now. (Ah, isn't the information age great?) :D

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:36 am

nice find, let us know if it works!

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:35 pm

Tormuse wrote:Yeah, I remember having a lot of fun with the scenario edittor back in the day. :) I think, at one point, I tried to challenge myself by giving the AI opponent a fleet of Hierarchy ships and giving myself just a Shofixti scout, Starbase, and no money, so I would have to build up my mines, colonies, and forces completely from scratch.
Wow! That sounds like a tall order for the poor Scout!! In this scenario, what was your overall strategy? Would you build a second Scout when you could afford one, or save up for something else? I'm sure I'd probably go for a Cruiser.
Tormuse wrote:As for professor Zorg, I'm pretty sure you can just look up the answers online now. (Ah, isn't the information age great?) :D
Indeed it is! 8-)
Angelfish wrote:nice find, let us know if it works!
I know, right? I've been feeling totally stoked all week! :)

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:35 pm

When will someone make a high res version of SC1?

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:09 pm

I just wanted to give a quick update: Yes! It works! :D

However, there have been some...uh, setbacks. But I have been able to make a few custom scenarios!
I'll go into more detail later, but for now, I gotta run! You know, lots of family stuff going on right now.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:16 pm

So, as soon as I returned from my folks house on Thanksgiving, I immediately went to my only older computer that actually has a 3 1/2" drive and inserted the disk. I copied the disk files into a document folder on my desktop, just to play it safe, and then tried to open a few files.

At first, the computer reacted like it didn't know what to do; Windows asked me what I would like to use to open the programs. I kept trying to click the "Install" program labelled with its description as an "MS-DOS Batch File", but it would only flash a box on the screen instead of running the installation program. Therefore, I was unable to change any of the current settings. :?

Then I ran the program labeled "StarCon", and it began to run the game. The Accolade logo appeared, and was quickly followed by the picture of the Arilou Skiff flying through the explosion, but was unfortunately accompanied by some truly awful music! It was super duper slow and sounded like random horns and beeping sounds. I think that it must be set on whatever kind of computer it was played on last, which if memory serves was on a Tandy 1000 or something similar. And no, it was not my Tandy, it was my friend's; I wouldn't have been caught dead owning one of those! Not that my 286 was any better! ;)

Of course, good ol' Professor Zorg :geek: was waiting for me, so I followed the advice and looked up the correct response (after getting kicked out a few times when I answered "Ignore" or "Kill", trying to get lucky) and made it to the main screen. Then I chose Melee to see how the game still played:

Ugh! Unfortunately, for some strange reason, it runs REALLY slow. :roll: I find this curious, considering when I usually try running old games on a "faster" computer, they'll usually run so fast it makes them virtually unplayable.

After that, I put the AI up against itself in the "Escalation" scenario, and let it play and I'd check in from time to time to see how things were going. I only mention this because after a while (about half and hour I guess) the game would minimize automatically. Then, when I would click on it, it would resume play in a "regular" faster speed, plus the sound would seem much more the way it should sound, instead of the very annoying drawn out beeps and such.

The Scenario Editor worked well though, and I've already started experimenting with that while reminiscing about the past. :) I found one custom job I must've made a while back called "Syre Under Fire", where I thought the Syreen's Homeworld was called Syre (Hey! I was only one letter off!) and this scenario focused on the Ur-Quan invading their home space!

If only I could get it to run normally, I may try to obtain an even slower computer and see if that works, plus I'd welcome any input or suggestions on how I could change the settings or get it to run better. While most people like to upgrade their hardware, it looks like I may be downgrading! :lol:

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:16 am

I know that dosbox is useful for that...but I only use it with preloaded script on steam...oops :P!
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo