A thought on the slaveshield.

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

TSC
Silly Supox

A thought on the slaveshield.

Post by TSC » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:09 am

Amongst the various ponderations I had about Star Control 2 lately one was about the Slaveshield.

Namely... What is the slaveshields energy source!

It occurred to me that the slaveshield could not be powered by anything planetbased. Because the locals on the planet could potentially find some method to destroy it. Yet it's also not powered by anything SPACE-based, since such a thing can't be found...

And then I figured... it actually is, if perhaps the Slaveshield is powered by the SUN of whatever system it is in. Using whatever sunlight it receives to sustain and balance itself.

-

I also wonder how the Quans got the tech, given that in the Milieu they where almost the Milieu's Shofixti. A young species that by then few small Scout ships.

It makes me think that the Milieu perhaps had multiple races savvy in different kinds of technology. Clearly the Taalo where very good. But perhaps one of the other races specialized in forcefields? The Quans are definitly smart enough to find a way to make use of it. (Especially the Kzer-Za, who where bred amongst other things to be scientists.)

(Not that the Kohr-Ah are necessarily unintelligent so much as much more direct and simple in what they do. (And well they where bred to be DOERS more then thinkers, so that fits. (I guess given they where also mentioned to the Soldiers, that the Dnyarri Slave Empire was FAR from unified (And different Dnyarri warlords threw their compelled Kohr-Ah armies at eachother to vie for dominance over said fragmented 'Empire')

-

(Also personal headcanon to me is that the Kzer-Za based their Dreadnought on a large ship type originally used by the Taalo. Just a design which they adapted and modified to be more in line with the Kzer-Za's needs and wants. (Hence features like slave-flown fighters.)

(Though I guess I have more personal idea's about how I'd imagine the Milieu to be like. (Very... quirky, much like the MODERN races in SC2's area of space. With each of these races having their own specific personalities.)

Tiberian
Orz *camper*

Re: A thought on the slaveshield.

Post by Tiberian » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:35 am

Maybe the slave shield is self-sufficient? It could get its energy from the sun, for example (would that count as self sufficient?)

A good point, though.
Author of Star Control novelizations Groombridge Log and Eternal Doctrine. www.tommisalminenbooks.com

TSC
Silly Supox

Post by TSC » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:45 pm

It could be that it is some sort of forcefield that takes energy once and then re-configures it into a stable forcefield that lasts a long time without additional energy.

That is a valid second option.

Though it might also make the slaveshield very vulnerable to anything that would disrupt whatever balance the shield has, as it has no source of energy to undo any destabilization. (Whereas if it does have a power source in the sun, it likely could just brute force cancel out whatever energy a planet could throw at it. Given how energy stars put out.) And I can imagine that many slaveshielded species would eventually take a crack at trying to break the thing from within.

Of course wether or not it's entirely self-sustaining once erected or or if it is dependent on solar radiation to remain stable. Either way it could actually eventually naturally fall, be it by a disruption of whatever stable form it has, or the star behaving oddly as stars sometimes do. (It'd just probably take very long in either case.)

It really was just a suspicion as to what might power such a shield.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:01 pm

The slave-shield might as well be multi-layered, with the "machinery" and power source(s) being in-between the layers.
If the shield used local star's energy, it would detract that energy from the planet, potentially killing the entire ecosystem, which would be a no-no for Kzer-Za. In same manner, it has to absorb outgoing heat radiation, to prevent planet's warming.
The power source might be hyper-spacial in nature, instead.

It can't be too high a technological ceiling for a space-faring race, as the Spathi managed to replicate it from mere observation in a fairly short period. (Not to mention in secrecy)
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

TSC
Silly Supox

Post by TSC » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:31 pm

That is a very good point. Maybe though it could absorb only a portion of sunlight and also absorb planetary heat as an additional powersource?

I do like the multilayer explanation though! But I wonder what the powersource of the machine inside would be.

As for the tech ceiling... Well the Spathi are actually technological geniuses when under duress. Like going from bronze age to interplanetary technology in only a century.

Technically if anyone ever played Ascendancy, the Spathi have the same racial ability as the Chamachies. Under duress they can figure out complex problems with extreme speed.

And the Spathi are very easily distressed.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:38 am

Headcanon? Are you Gunther Hermann who finally got his skull-gun?

TSC
Silly Supox

Post by TSC » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:22 pm

Angelfish wrote:Headcanon? Are you Gunther Hermann who finally got his skull-gun?
That'd be a headCANNON, whatever a Gunther Hermann is.

CANON, as in canonical, part of accepted lore.

As in SC2 is Canon, anything else written, made or said by Ford and Reiche (SC1, manuals, quotes etc.) is canon provided it doesn't contradict SC2, or isn't provisional and subject to possible later change.

And anything else Star Control related like SC3, any fanwork like P6014, the upcoming Stardock stuff, fanfics and other fanworks (including anything I myself would do.) is, regardless of quality or popularity, non-canon. (And that includes 'head-canon' (Which is just a term for something you like to assume about the universe.)

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:58 pm

I know what headcanon is, I just wanted to point out how stupid and overused/abused that word is :P.
Also, I don't think word of god is canon. Once a game is complete, anything else that is said by the creators after it is not canon, unless it's meant as a sequel to the story.

FreakyM
Orz *camper*

Post by FreakyM » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:09 pm

Not gone. Drifting in the flow of the world, observing.

TSC
Silly Supox

Post by TSC » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:47 pm

Sweet sweet power-source free nanotech!

Also known as plot-goo! Get a can now!

Heh, seriously though, it's not that important what the power source of the slaveshield is. I just thought it was a neat possible idea.