Surviving the Death March (SPOILERS!....Trog..)

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

palmpet
Ilwrath torturer
Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.

Surviving the Death March (SPOILERS!....Trog..)

Post by palmpet » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:43 pm

I thought of a hypothetical way for most races to be saved even if the Kohr-ah death march. Basically....fill your ship with all crewpods except leave two slots for double fuel tanks....fill all of them with crew (Humans and Shofixti). Then make sure to have one of each possible ship you can get (Except Shofixti, Arilou, and Orz)! So....Syreen, Spathi, Umgah, Druuge, Thraddash, Zot-Fot-Pik, Yehat, Pkunk, Chmmr, Utwig, and Supox. Have in your Cargo Hold at least The Dynnari, Mycon egg case, and Quasi-Space portal. You may also notice theres room for one more ship...I think the best option for that is Thraddash since they have so few on one ship.....or Orz if ya cant live without em. Once you have all that go into quasi space during the death march if its too late....then...just wait. The Arilou could let you on there planet (Not likely) Or find you a new home farther out through a quasi space portal...or you could wait until the Kohr-Ah leave. So....yeah....that should save every race except for VUX, Illwrath, and Mycon (If ya cant clone em)....luckily they wont be missed too much. Tell me wat ya think?
"What's the point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: Surviving the Death March (SPOILERS!....Trog..)

Post by Quasispatial » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:48 am

There is just a slight error with this plan.
Namely, genetic diversity. Even if you are successful in fleeing with members of all the races in tow, you would never last more than a few generations before the lack of diversity would cause reproduction to become unsustainable.
And do not simply point to the Shofixti here. They were a unique case, possessing so much redundant genetic material so that they could do it, even if I doubt that they will be able to replicate the achievement any time soon.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:22 am

Please amend your title to exclude the spoilers in it.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:33 am

About the death march. I think this is one of the reasons why people don't like Star Control 2 that much anymore now. It's 90's style game design to offer the player with such a 'fuck you for playing the game the way you want it, game over' event in a game. My playing style in all games is to take it easy and explore everything;
In RTS games I turtle away, in adventure games I pick up everything and explore every option, and in space games I tend to explore everything.
But SC2 punishes me for my playing style by having that death march. A game offering different playing styles shouldn't punish you for it especially that late in the game and especially not the way SC2 does it. Faster than Light also has a death march but it's telling you about it at the beginning of the game so you know you have to hurry, that way it isn't really a problem.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:21 am

Angelfish wrote:Faster than Light also has a death march but it's telling you about it at the beginning of the game so you know you have to hurry, that way it isn't really a problem.
But then again, you get several warnings. The SoqFotPik are aware that the Kzer-Za are losing. So are the Utwig. The Melnorme know this as well.
Knowing the Kohr-Ah, the end result of their victory is not really hard to figure out. True enough, you do not get a warning right at the start, but if you ask me, it is refreshing for the eventual consequences of lingering to be more than empty filler-talk for once, unlike all those games where you can complete every side quest, visit every place in the world, complete everything else, and you will still arrive barely in the nick of time to save that person which the game has been constantly nagging you about because if you do not get there right now, the character will die.
For once, the game actually has some substance behind these warnings, even if said warnings are not particularly pronounced.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:29 pm

Quasispatial wrote:
Angelfish wrote:Faster than Light also has a death march but it's telling you about it at the beginning of the game so you know you have to hurry, that way it isn't really a problem.
But then again, you get several warnings. The SoqFotPik are aware that the Kzer-Za are losing. So are the Utwig. The Melnorme know this as well.
Knowing the Kohr-Ah, the end result of their victory is not really hard to figure out. True enough, you do not get a warning right at the start, but if you ask me, it is refreshing for the eventual consequences of lingering to be more than empty filler-talk for once, unlike all those games where you can complete every side quest, visit every place in the world, complete everything else, and you will still arrive barely in the nick of time to save that person which the game has been constantly nagging you about because if you do not get there right now, the character will die.
For once, the game actually has some substance behind these warnings, even if said warnings are not particularly pronounced.
I'd like them to be more pronounced, right now they are too vague and not really indicative of an exact time when it will happen.. and as you may know every spacefaring being has a different perception of time :). For example a long living alien might be terrified of our sun going nova in a few billion years..

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:47 pm

Angelfish wrote:
Quasispatial wrote:
I'd like them to be more pronounced, right now they are too vague and not really indicative of an exact time when it will happen.. and as you may know every spacefaring being has a different perception of time :). For example a long living alien might be terrified of our sun going nova in a few billion years..
Well, I would guess that which time it takes place in is greatly dependant on which *time* it takes place in. It would be hard to give a conclusive answer.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:43 pm

The Melnorme are likely to be the third alien race you meet in a typical game. The second time you speak to them in the DOS version, they explicitly tell you the date of the start of the death march. Granted, this dialog is omitted in the 3DO version that UQM is based on, but the original game did try to warn you, explicitly and early.

palmpet
Ilwrath torturer
Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.

Post by palmpet » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:22 pm

You have a point....Meh it was just a stupid idea i wanted to share...The spathi could probably survive though..
"What's the point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."