Childrens' play log

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: Childrens' play log

Post by Death 999 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:58 pm

My son resumed his own session and reached Vela. He saved, and tried to face the Ur-Quan flying the ship himself. This went poorly.

So, he spent the next two days in Supermelee trying to train up. At first, he was having trouble beating a goldfish (i.e. human player with no one flying). His sister took the other human controls and is still having trouble, but supermelee is their big thing now.

Unfortunately, yesterday had a big meltdown because of a Kohr-Ah vs Spathi matchup that was just too tedious, plus he (Kohr-Ah) lost, plus I was advising her (Spathi) how to fly it since that's what you need in the campaign mode (and he was flying it roughly indistinguishably from a Good AI level except for the occasional double fire ring for no reason due to wrong key presses).

It came out that he didn't realize the blades were long ranged. Maybe he'll do better tonight now that I told him he can hold the key down.

krulle
Reborn Shofixti

Post by krulle » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:17 am

Oh the memories of finding all that out myself. I always wondered how the AI was able to shoot long range blades....
So I experimented.

Same with the Mael-Num trader...

Borgie
Hunam adventurer

Post by Borgie » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:14 pm

Wow, this is pretty epic.
It’s really cool to see how children play this game. I think I must have been about 12 myself when I first played it. Plenty of poor decisions* there! Of course I already had experience with SC1 for melee.

(*I searched nearly every star in the radius of 200 units to find the Syreen vault)

I can’t wait until my daughter is old enough to try this with her. I've quite enjoyed this thread.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:20 pm

He's been spending most of his video game since trying out supermelee. Quite a bit of it has been rather useless for learning to be better, like human vs human with him at both controls just shooting things and seeing what happens.

Still, he did eventually manage to go back and beat the Ur-Quan at Vela, losing a cruiser but keeping Fwiffo alive.

He also found the Taalo shield, and realized that could help out in their other save file.