SCDB day-to-day upkeep

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

SCDB day-to-day upkeep

Post by Alvarin » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:29 pm

Greetings all!
Some time ago the forum had several non-deleted spam threads for some time, due to too low amount of active moderators and fact that boards population has aged and off-line priorities are a thing...
This, in turn, has sprouted a mini-discussion, but once Scott popped in and taken care of the spammer, everything has gone quiet. At least for now.
A new topic for avoiding such things in the future was suggested. This is that topic.

As said in the "Buy my stuff" thread, Death and myself have volunteered to ease the moderating burden. I'm still up for that.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Re: SCDB day-to-day upkeep

Post by Angelfish » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:00 pm

Sure, go ahead :) Just don't let the moderation go to your head :)

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:19 pm

I'll back you guys, we need some additional staff clearly, and you both seem like responsible fellows.

Scott Irving
Site Admin

Post by Scott Irving » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:46 am

Thanks sorry, you beat me to it. I had a busy last few days, wife and I basically became wedding directors for the weekend and then had a funeral for an uncle of mine who passed away.

I'll be back on tomorrow night just wanted to pop in so you all wouldn't think I'd disappeared again
Site Admin and General Techie person. Also I'm batman.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:58 pm

I hereby nominate Alvarin and Death 999!
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Zeracles
Pootworm

Post by Zeracles » Sun May 07, 2017 9:18 am

There has been, I think, broad agreement that we need to address issues related to new user registrations, spam, news and administrative presence. I think these issues could and should have been dealt with months ago, uncontroversially. But to get these implemented as soon as possible, let's try to spell out the specifics. I'll have a go as follows:
  • To address the problem with new user registrations, I suggest that instead of requiring administrator approval, users simply confirm membership by following links from registration emails. To counter the possibility of spammers that might be registered, I think there should be at least 5 mods to shoot down spam. Alternatively, that many mods who can approve new members would also work. Either way, mods need to be appointed. Administrators, as well as mods, are required -
  • To address the problems that arise when administrators are hard to find, at least two new administrators should be appointed and they should be able to grant moderator and administrator permissions so that we do not again find ourselves in a circumstance where administrator actions are required but no administrators are present.
  • To maintain currency and relevance of content, the new administrators should be able to rearrange the boards and post on the front page.
Consensus is important, so if we can agree to either these or a similar set of requests, that would be good I think. Thoughts?
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Sun May 07, 2017 9:02 pm

Yes, that would definitely solve the problems we're having. But Scott may not feel comfortable or inclined to giving us everything we want, especially considering how much of the recent posts (from other topics discussing this same issue) have been along the lines of scatter-shooting requests, while others have had the sound of an uprising or revolution, which I'm not saying that kind of connotation isn't valid or warranted, but perhaps we should reconsider our approach, since the continuation of this forum in functionality, integrity and performance should be our main goal.

:?: @Death 999, Alvarin, and Lukipela: Have any of you heard anything whatsoever from Scott Irving about becoming admins or mods?

If nothing has been done or addressed by a certain time, we can approach with a unified front, perhaps establishing a quorum if you will, where we could sign off on our minimum requirements posted by way of a formal petition that all of us agree to.

Like I've already said, Zeracles above post would accomplish that, but perhaps we could start off small, like say, asking for Scott to allow just Death 999 to become a site admin and be granted all of the privileges and authority associated, including the ability to appoint other admins and mods. Then, Death can appoint Alvarin, Luki and anybody else he likes, and give them access to be able to help maintain the forum along with updating and making changes to the front page with a fresh outlook on the future. That way, Scott only has to grant one of our requests and it fulfills all of our needs.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Zeracles
Pootworm

Post by Zeracles » Mon May 08, 2017 9:37 am

It's unfortunate, but I think it would have been difficult to convey the importance of the problem and the untenability of the situation while being nice about it. Maybe it looks like a gormless and baying crowd to Scott.
The Troglodyte wrote:If nothing has been done or addressed by a certain time, we can approach with a unified front, perhaps establishing a quorum if you will, where we could sign off on our minimum requirements posted by way of a formal petition that all of us agree to.
Don't forget that nothing has been done or addressed for over two months already. Can we establish minimum requirements now or over the next week? I don't think the list of requests is excessive. Does anyone think we would be asking for too much? Speak up if so.

And sure, these requests are not to Scott alone, they are to the administration of this board, including Chad. So the administration could appoint one admin, who would then become part of the administration. Then the requests would become the new admin's agenda.
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon May 08, 2017 3:34 pm

Zeracles wrote:I don't think the list of requests is excessive.
Agreed, I was merely offering a way for you to gather the consensus you seek.
Zeracles wrote:It's unfortunate, but I think it would have been difficult to convey the importance of the problem and the untenability of the situation while being nice about it.
I think being firm but not overly aggressive or demanding is still the prudent response. If you drew up a petition that everyone could sign off on, it would be a way for us to demonstrate unity while being respectful. I know there’s probably a lot of my American values bleeding through, but it seems like a reasonable course of action to continue with attempts at diplomacy before resorting to other means to get our point across.
Zeracles wrote:And sure, these requests are not to Scott alone, they are to the administration of this board, including Chad. So the administration could appoint one admin, who would then become part of the administration. Then the requests would become the new admin's agenda.
Exactly, and I’m saying that if you plug enough signatures into whoever’s pm box is available, then we’ll force… I mean, persuade them to the negotiation table.
Scott Irving has himself admitted on several occasions that things haven’t been up to snuff: (I’ve combined some quotes to reduce multiple quote blocks)
Scott Irving wrote:It's not a lack of care.. well maybe it is, I don't know, I have little free time to work on PNF or prowl the forums. Perhaps I should have a poll see what people want?

I'm certainly open to the idea of having other mods, just a matter of somebody trust worthy and somebody does indeed want to do it, I never took mod powers away of my own accord.

All I can say for Chad is he to is busy with his personal life and family, but give him credit he continues to pay for the domain and hosting year after year for 2 decades and counting.

You'll get no argument from me that...I've neglected the site and community I'm not under any delusion there.

Harsh comments are warranted and I'd fully understand the community moving, obviously I to would prefer PNF and SCCD stay around it's been part of my life for many years.
perhaps a news topic is needed to further discuss what everyone wants and who wants to help out that type of thing.
He seems to repeatedly ask for direction, so either that’s nothing but lip service, or perhaps he’s waiting for us to come to a consensus.

We also need to practice some degree of patience before making a hasty decision. Keep in mind that everything around here seemed status quo for years without much involvement from administration, with the exception of a few news updates here and there. The problem didn’t seem to make its appearance obvious until spammers became more frequent and the membership entry started to slip. Nothing seems to happen fast around around here; a fact we may have to live with, whether we like it or not.

That being the case, I believe our best course of action is to encourage other members to take notice and act on it. I’m fully aware that that’s asking a lot from our members, who shouldn’t be put in this position in the first place, but I’m asking for us to do just that, and I’m asking for you, Zeracles, to continue with your efforts and help lead the charge, but please consider my recommendations and know either way that you have my full support.

Viva la revolución!

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Mon May 08, 2017 3:49 pm

:?: @Death 999, Alvarin, and Lukipela: Have any of you heard anything whatsoever from Scott Irving about becoming admins or mods?
I have heard nothing so far. Even appointing a new mod would be a pretty big move, and things haven't seemed very urgent, so I can understand taking time.