SCDB day-to-day upkeep

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Zeracles
Pootworm

Re: SCDB day-to-day upkeep

Post by Zeracles » Tue May 09, 2017 5:21 am

I don't regard it as a big move. Not when the demand for it appears undisputed, the task so clear and the volunteers identified. Anyway, Luki said he suggested Scott remod him. We don't know when that was, but probably quite some time ago and even that hasn't happened. That is hard to understand, there could not be a more uncontroversial appointment than that. I'm sure we'd all like to take what Scott has said at face value, but his persistent inaction isn't making that easy.
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

Scott Irving
Site Admin

Post by Scott Irving » Tue May 09, 2017 6:48 am

I'm sorry, it's just a real busy last few months for me, my baby is due any day now. I'll have to sit down a read through all the posts.

To complicate matters on fixing things I don't have access to certain things, in the past I've asked Chad for said things to no avail. I'll try again.

But with all that said I've added Luki to the ZFP group again hopefully that will help a little. I'll try to read through all the posts regarding this and respond more appropriately.
Site Admin and General Techie person. Also I'm batman.

Zeracles
Pootworm

Post by Zeracles » Tue May 09, 2017 8:50 am

Awesome, I don't know how often Luki has been checking in lately, have you PMed him?

It's a bit worrisome what you say about not having all permissions - potentially leading to an unstable solution if Chad's a bit precious about allowing additional admins - but maybe we can find out soon.
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

krulle
Ilwrath torturer

Post by krulle » Tue May 09, 2017 9:58 am

Scott: lean back and enjoy these days with your wife.
It's the last chance for quite a while (and it'll get worse in some respect) to actually enjoy her company uninterrupted...
(With a baby it is different, even when the kid is asleep. Plus her pregnancy give a totally different kind of intimacy to enjoy together, which due to its nature is very time-limited).

SC can wait a bit longer if necessary, and can be done with a kid in one arm.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Tue May 09, 2017 1:54 pm

He also added me, so unless something requiring full admin access comes along, I think we're set.

Good luck with the offspring!

Scott Irving
Site Admin

Post by Scott Irving » Tue May 09, 2017 2:46 pm

The things I don't have access to are things such as creating new sub forums (which I'd like to do) upgrading the board software or the PHP we're running, changing how registration is handeled and a few things like that.

I really do want to get things fixed up it's just of matter of time and I guess that only gets worse now.. just have the make the time.

Hopefully I've taken the first step here in moving towards a solution.
Site Admin and General Techie person. Also I'm batman.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue May 09, 2017 5:00 pm

This is fantastic news! Thanks Scott Irving! :D We appreciate your attention in these matters to help improve our functionality here at SCDB, while at the same time relieving some of the burden from you so you can focus on your impending new arrival! :)
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Tue May 09, 2017 5:35 pm

Scott, if the registration method is accessible to you, perhaps it IS worth to open the registration by mail link and rely on mods to keep it clean?

@Trog - no.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Tue May 09, 2017 5:37 pm

What do you mean 'no'?

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue May 09, 2017 7:07 pm

I'm pretty sure that's in reference to my question earlier about hearing back from Scott about becoming a mod.

It's good he added Death and Luki, but I was hoping he would've gone ahead and made all 3 of you guys mods, but, since we've recently caught his ear, perhaps Alvarin if you sent him another reminder he might go ahead and commission you too? It's worth a shot at least. :)
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh