Ideas for playthrough?

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Re: Ideas for playthrough?

Post by Draxas » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:24 pm

If you have actually completed a no-starbase run of the game, I'm not sure any challenge we propose that's not a variant on that would actually be more difficult, assuming difficulty is what you're looking for.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:05 pm

I wonder what would make a good added-difficulty mod - not just voluntary restrictions - without moving things around on the map, which is complicated.

Slightly-slower hyperspace travel? Quintuple the cost of a portal-spawning? Make the portal spawn somewhere vaguely in front of you, and then you need to go to it, so it's not so useful for quick escapes? Vindicator's main weapon moves a little slower? The side shots do half damage?

Use the supermelee AI on story-mode Slylandro. Allow VUX to intrude.

Of course, improved combat AI would be effective but it would also be hard to do. At the very least, enemy groups don't aim straight for you but attempt to use an intercept course. Slightly more involved, they could attempt to surround you.

Stickman_king_28
Silly Supox

Post by Stickman_king_28 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:54 pm

Not really an idea for playthrough, but maybe a mod that allows 3+ ships in combat? Maybe 2v1 in certain areas, like maybe taking the hard way out? (I wonder what would happen if u let 2 awesome ais use entire fleets against eachother.)
Soo... What were primitive ur-quan like? I just love to speculate about my favorite slave-master caterpillars. That wheezy voice acting tho
I have legal bulls**t phobia

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:53 pm

Death 999 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:05 pm
I wonder what would make a good added-difficulty mod - not just voluntary restrictions - without moving things around on the map, which is complicated.

Slightly-slower hyperspace travel? Quintuple the cost of a portal-spawning? Make the portal spawn somewhere vaguely in front of you, and then you need to go to it, so it's not so useful for quick escapes? Vindicator's main weapon moves a little slower? The side shots do half damage?

Use the supermelee AI on story-mode Slylandro. Allow VUX to intrude.

Of course, improved combat AI would be effective but it would also be hard to do. At the very least, enemy groups don't aim straight for you but attempt to use an intercept course. Slightly more involved, they could attempt to surround you.
I mean, one thing you could do would be to just reduce the RU-values actually gained from offloading. If you only get 50% of the points, that's less spending money, and it's a valid thing since voluntary only has "mine" and "don't mine". Making your own ships have half fire rate would be something else altogether. In general, if you could make it so that the player's ships have worse performance than their normal equivalents, that would make things harder to deal with combat-wise.

Or you just make it so that the Vindicator burns fuel twice as fast, and leave it at that. Combine it with the portal spawner cost increase for the sake of the lategame, and double the cost for planet landings and escapes for good measure. Suddenly, not running out of fuel is a lot harder than it once was.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

Serosis
Hunam adventurer

Post by Serosis » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:05 pm

Something like making the Flagship burn fuel at different rates depending on difficulty is actually really simple to implement as well. You could also do the same to the landing craft since fuel is burnt for planetary excursions.

Some more things you could do is make Sapthi ships leave your fleet after their shielding event, making Slylandro Probes a more pervasive presence, increase the cost of modules/crew/ships, decrease the size of the lander cargo bay, and lower the amount of free ships your allies can give you.

And if you want to get *real* crazy, move the Death March forward a bit.

UPDATE:

There was also this joke between a friend and I that at the highest difficulty that any Spathi ships have the autonomy to Emergency Warp during battle at their own leisure. If certain criteria are met.

Like if you're battling either of the Ur-Quan and the fight has been going on for longer than a minute.
Get The Ur-Quan Masters MegaMod HERE

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:11 pm

Serosis wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:05 pm
Like if you're battling either of the Ur-Quan and the fight has been going on for longer than a minute.
There would have to be criteria that the ship is far enough away. No sane Spathi is suicidal enough to initiate warp maneuvers whilst the enemy is in firing range. I'd think it better if they just auto-warped out after winning a fight, meaning that you can't kill an entire fleet with a single Eluder.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.