I'm getting Origins

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: I'm getting Origins

Post by Alvarin » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:57 pm

The "Phamysht" have absolutely amazing voice acting.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:49 pm

Against my better judgment, I actually played the game because I wanted to know how much was reused from the previous installement.

Here are a few things:
1) the gameplay itself is okay at best, lander is horrible, combat dynamics are weird, exploration in general is okay
2) The aliens are extremely well crafted, but the quests around them are thin... None of them were blatant copies of any of the original races that we know and love...
3) the story itself is full of future plot point and is not too shaby...could have been way better, but it's not that bad

4) the overall game seems buggy and in need of a lot of polishing. The overall level of quality is on par with a lot of open source games or indie projects.
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:55 pm

glory_device wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:49 pm
Against my better judgment, I actually played the game because I wanted to know how much was reused from the previous installement.

Here are a few things:
1) the gameplay itself is okay at best, lander is horrible, combat dynamics are weird, exploration in general is okay
2) The aliens are extremely well crafted, but the quests around them are thin... None of them were blatant copies of any of the original races that we know and love...
3) the story itself is full of future plot point and is not too shaby...could have been way better, but it's not that bad

4) the overall game seems buggy and in need of a lot of polishing. The overall level of quality is on par with a lot of open source games or indie projects.
This is an interesting take, and not one that anyone else here has addressed. A lot of these items seem to speak to what was shaping up to be a polished game, suddenly rushed through development to a release state. Can't help but wonder if that had something to do with trying to strengthen a lawsuit position, but that's base speculation on my part. It would fit the pattern, though.

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:04 pm

Something like that might make sense yes. The other possibility: we wanted to tell a story and the underlying gameplay behind the storytelling wasn't a priority. They might come around and polish and I know that they want to tell additionnal story along the way (and give modding possibilites...) but the core gameplay seemded indeed rushed and with a crucial lack of QA.

I red reviews here and there on the web, and they all point out the same thing. They however give more credit to the combat system than I do, but then I was spoiled with Shiver's expertise and knowledge on the subject (ship balance is horrible and the handling of the ship is so weiiiiird)

Anyhoo!
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

krulle
Reborn Shofixti

Post by krulle » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:53 am

Actually, from what I saw in the Let's Play videos, I liked the combat mode to limit the time it takes to fight.
Advantageous for the Human player against an AI, as the game does it by making the "toxic boundary" smaller and smaller, so that the contestants have to meet near the planet and thus you can't play "try to catch me".
It's a nice way to limit the battle fighting time.

I dislike the amount of improvements which appear in the battle arena, though.
And the worm-hole in the battle arena??? Okay, I'll chalk that up to "we have to make it substantially dissimilar from a certain previous game".

palmpet
Ilwrath torturer
Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.

Post by palmpet » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:01 am

Okay, since I'm getting a new PC that should be able to actually run it and all the legal stuff was resolved.... I saw the great steam sale on the star control bundle and picked it up, so now I'll be able to play it! I've actually not watched more than a minute or so of videos of it aswell so I'll be pretty much completely blind.
"What's the point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."

krulle
Reborn Shofixti

Post by krulle » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:55 am

Have fun!

palmpet
Ilwrath torturer

Post by palmpet » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:11 pm

I finished the game and really enjoyed it! Pretty much what I wanted out of a modern star control game! However it's kinda inconsistent when it comes to the minor races and dlc stuff.

Stickman_king_28
Silly Supox

Post by Stickman_king_28 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:47 pm

High five dude. Also love that your formal chats with the xraki begin with jumpscares just to express how friggin terrifying theyre supposed to be. They dont hold a candle to orz though. Also, isnt the 3rd part of the season pass coming out soon?
Soo... What were primitive ur-quan like? I just love to speculate about my favorite slave-master caterpillars. That wheezy voice acting tho
I have legal bulls**t phobia

palmpet
Ilwrath torturer

Post by palmpet » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:16 pm

I actually don't know when it comes out. I did compelete the two main dlc questlines.