4 Great Games That Everyone Should Try... or Else!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Which of these games have you ever played?

1. Star Control 1
38%
2. Star Control 2 (in any form)
48%
3. Starflight 1
5%
4. Starflight 2
10%

Total votes: 21

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: 4 Great Games That Everyone Should Try... or Else!

Post by Alvarin »

The Troglodyte wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:21 am And how about you, Alvarin? Do you agree with Draxas' answer? Do you have anything you'd like to add as to the reasons why you love Star Control 2?
Fine. Yes. No.

:P-smf
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas »

How very Kohr-Ah of you.
The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte »

Ok, so there seems to be a consensus with Draxas and Alvarin. And what about you, palmpet? What are your reasons for loving Star Control 2? (Please keep in mind that stating it's in your top 3 and mentioning other games you like doesn't count as answering the question. :P )
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh
palmpet
Ilwrath torturer
Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.

Post by palmpet »

The Troglodyte wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:57 am Ok, so there seems to be a consensus with Draxas and Alvarin. And what about you, palmpet? What are your reasons for loving Star Control 2? (Please keep in mind that stating it's in your top 3 and mentioning other games you like doesn't count as answering the question. :P )
Draxas pretty much hit the nail on the head, the dialogue and races are definitely the best part for me. The combat was tricky to get into for the longest time but now it's one of my favorite aspects. I recomend the game to people constantly but the begining difficulty and somewhat different controls of the game definitely seem to provide a challenge to many beginners.

But somewhat like you Trog I was definitely a latecomer to the game. But unlike you, I had never even heard of it for most of my life and wasn't even alive anytime around when it was released. I'm definently younger than you'd expect a fan of Star Control 2 to be. But that said even depsite the rough patches I went through playing through it the first time, I always wanted to continue. And I've played through it so many times now, I could write a guide.
"What's the point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."
The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte »

Well, I too also agree with Draxas. The fun and vibrant outlook that the game embodies is pleasantly coupled with funny, friendly aliens (and even the evil ones have their own little side act of comedy!) The music only emphasizes the delight with sounds and tones bring out the characters of the aliens you encounter and the vivid colors of everything was very "Chocolate Factory", if that makes sense.

I can see how some might find the alien voices a little over-the-top at times, but never having been without them and forced to use my own imagination, like many of discussed, I myself found in time to really appreciate the voiceover contribution. (excpet maybe the Utwig...ugh!) The story was very well-written and the replayability is somewhat high, but only from the standpoint of reliving some adventures or experimenting with different outcomes, but unfortunately, once you know the main secrets, discovery is lost forever.

Having played Star Control 1, the gameplay and controls were easy enough to pick up on, but I could see how dealing with the inertia and gravity effects could be challenging for some. And I also enjoyed the Starbase setup and how you had free reign to customize your ship and fleet.

The main part I enjoyed though was the adventure aspect, and exploring the unknown while in command of a starship! That was the best part to me, and it allowed me to feel like a kid again! That's the whole reason I made my own starmap and printed out dialogue and heck! it's even the main reason I decided to share that entire experience in a captain's log fashion with everyone here at this forum!

And where did all of that childlike joy root itself from? Hmmm?? Well, that's where I must give Starflight credit, and that's why I've created this topic, to tell you guys about those games too and how similar they are, and perhaps even convince some people that it could be a worthwhile endeavor to pursue those games... but I'll save some of that for my next post!
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin »

One other great thing about SC2, that usually goes unmentioned is full tutorial, teaching the player all game mechanics in fairly safe environment while not holding their hand. Quite unique for the time. Alien dialogue -> planet exploration -> resource gathering -> space combat... Only after all basics have been completed can you begin the actual adventure.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas »

Or alternatively, you can skip the non-obvious tutorial, fly straight off into hyperspace, and try tackling the most difficult challenge run the game has to offer. The fact that the game even allows the option is pretty impressive.

(In all honesty, I have never once in all of the years I've been playing SC2 thought of the opening sequence at Sol as a tutorial. But when you phrase it that way and really look at the things you are doing, you are 100% right: Every single activity of any importance in the game, from negotiations with aliens, to navigating and fighting with the lander, to ship combat, to budgeting RUs, it is all introduced right there at Sol in an incredibly non-intrusive way. That in and of itself, is yet another tiny stroke of genius in an already amazing game.)
The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte »

Wow Alvarin! Just like Draxas, I never realized that either! And you know what?... that may be what makes the tutorial so great is how you're getting taught really quick how to perform the basic functions of the game without even realizing it! So seemless!

Come to think of it, had the opening encounters of the game had been as intriguing as they were, I may not have even continued the game! (I'm bad about doing that sometimes with games) But there was something about that way you just get thrown into a conflict and can come out with a self-assuring victory that keeps you wanting to come back for more, plus getting no other choice but to do some radioactives gathering that quickly puts you in the driver seat of the lander, and we can all probably remember how fun that was the first couple hundred times!

The first time you get to see all the different ways you could possibly outfit your ship was another big hit for me! Starflight had that too, but SC2 had a way of doing it that makes the ship seem powerful, but also fun too! Mine had a bowling alley.
Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod »

The best tutorials are often the ones you don't notice.
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!
The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte »

What about you, Dyandod? What were your favorite things about Star Control 2?