4 Great Games That Everyone Should Try... or Else!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Which of these games have you ever played?

1. Star Control 1
38%
2. Star Control 2 (in any form)
48%
3. Starflight 1
5%
4. Starflight 2
10%

Total votes: 21

Borgie
Hunam adventurer

Re: 4 Great Games That Everyone Should Try... or Else!

Post by Borgie »

I swear, I'm always late to the *party* (I blink and there's a whole new thread!). Time to add my three cents, which will be more of a ramble.

I never played Starflight myself, and I'm not sure I could. I've seen gameplay through YouTube, and was sufficiently entertained by that.

I first played Star Control 1 when I was young. It's possible that I "acquired" it from someone, but that's neither here nor there. After playing games like The Monuments of Mars, Tank Wars, and Commander Keen, this game blasted my mind.

Being young and foolish, when I saw SC2 in the store, I didn't realize that it was a NEW game. (Yeah, "Volume IV" is greater than 2, right?). But being a fan, of the first game, I definitely still wanted it. Suffice to say I had no idea what wonderful game I had purchased.

The music blew me away because I didn't even know a computer could play music like that.

For SC2, the gameplay made the game amazing. Without good gameplay, you can't have a good game. But the story makes it memorable. It invokes your imagination and evolves the game into so much more. The music adds the emotion, as well as strengthening your memory of the game. At least this is how it affected me.

As for gameplay, this might be obvious. Do I need a spoiler tag? Just to be safe...
You get to fly a startship! You get to improve your starship. You get to gather resources to make you stronger. You get to explore space. You get to build a fleet. You get to discover new technologies. You get to fight a multitude of opponents (and blow them up). You get to encounter planetary aliens (and conquer them). You get to gather unique artifacts. This is not a comprehensive list.

All of those individually are good reasons to like it... and that's just the gameplay itself!

Am I done? Yeah, for now... this is a long enough ramble.
The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte »

Oh good! Another Star Control 1 player! You know, I remember when playing Star control 1 (and players who've played SC2 can identify with this too) the most difficult challenge for me was learning how to fly the ship with control. I mean, I started off the same way folks do when first playing "Asteroids" and that was to stay in the center and only rotate and fire, until it becomes quickly self-evident that this strategy will result in your demise, so you give those thrusters a little tap and suddenly your scrambling to maintain control, and once the planet gets involved it's either you're shooting past it out of control or slamming into it until you bouncing off the same place after your momentum been's nullified! Can anyone relate? That was my early beginnings of Star Control, but once I practiced a bunch (which I found easier with the slower, powerful ships) I came to really appreciate the realism, at least from a 2-dimensional angle.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas »

I remember a similar feeling when first starting to play SC2. Trying to keep a handle on momentum and not slam into the planet was tricky, but I felt it most with the slower ships, not the fast ones (mostly). While it took some good reflexes to keep the fast ships going where you wanted them to, they mostly tended to be able to respond quickly when you needed to turn or otherwise address threats while navigating (a notable exception being the X-Form's speed form, which took a long time to adjust to because of the awful turning rate). Once you figure out how to manage thrust, it becomes fairly simple to pulse most fast ships' engines to slow them down or send them elsewhere. The slow ships, on the other hand, tend to need a lot more prodding (and continuous thrust) to change trajectory, which made them more difficult to manage, particularly if they have very weak engines (Broodhome is probably the worst offender I can think of) or lousy turning rates (always an issue with the Dreadnought, among others). Don't even get me started on trying to learn to pilot special cases like the Mauler or Drone.

Yeah, in short, it took a fair bit of practice to get a handle on how to fly everything (and I won't say well, because I was never all that great at Melee even at my best).
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin »

Despite immeasurable hours of practice, I doubt to ever be proficient with handling the probe...
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas »

Yeah, I wrote off trying to get good (or even passable) with the Probe decades ago. While it's nice that they let you try to fly it yourself, it's pretty clearly designed to be used primarily by the AI.
krulle
Reborn Shofixti

Post by krulle »

The weapon with it's rather random flashing is also annoying to use, although it's easy to do a hit-and-run with the Probe. Fly there, prefereably heads on, and once you're close to deplete the battery, press forward get away.
And ALWAYS keep "special" pressed, in case you crash against an asteroid.

Bonus: if the special key blocks some control of the opponent.
Borgie
Hunam adventurer

Post by Borgie »

I agree - I'm pretty sure the probes are meant to be controlled by an AI.... they are a probe after all :D
Being human, I gave up on the probe pretty quickly. I think knowing which way it's "facing" has always been by greatest challenge.

I personally don't remember the specifics of learning to fly SC ships, in SC1. I do, however, recall this lack of ability to fly being a strong influence on my love of the dreadnaught. I got pretty good at using it against all of the aliance ships (launch-launch-launch-launch-launch fighters!)

I've also spent many hours vs the computer carfully aligning a faster ship, turning around, and slowly weaking them only to have one of us hit an asteroid and start aligning again.
The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte »

Yeah, now that you mention it, it is kind of fun to shoot at Cruiser nukes with the probe... (smiles while staring into the distance and begins to drift away...followed by the Homer Simpson drool) Hey Trog! Snap out of it! Back on topic!

Okay, so I know many folks around here might take some offense to somebody even trying to bring this up, but I will risk the boos, hisses and rotten tomato hurlings to ask this question: (dramatic drumroll) (Gong crash!)

"We all know everyone with half a brain absolutely loves Star Control 2, and for good reason, but... What are some of it's drawbacks and low points or also, are there things in the game that could have been better?"

BTW: For a fresh perspective and perhaps a few suggestions and ideas, take a look at page 62 on the YouTube thread in off topic that Alvarin posted. (Well, not the "This Land is Mine" one, the one above it, but that one's pretty good too, in a dark funny kind of way!)
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas »

I don't think anyone believes SC2 is perfect beyond reproach. I know the entire lander part of the game is commonly cited as a weak point (I personally like it, but even then it does get repetitive, especially in the early parts of the game when you need to build up some resources and can't venture out very far yet). The time limit is another commonly mentioned sore point, particularly in light of the Metachron dialog (the earliest specific mention of a time limit, and also the most clearly spelled out) being cut for the 3DO version. The voice acting has also drawn a bit of ire over the years, particularly the Utwig, but all of it is obviously performed by an amateur cast and the cracks show often enough to annoy some people (I personally, again, don't much care, but I played the crap out of the DOS version and so am used to simply reading the game).