Society on Alpha Cerenkov I

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator:ZFP Peacekeepers

VenusRain
Hunam adventurer
Society on Alpha Cerenkov I

Post by VenusRain » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:28 am

Carried over from the Favorite races thread.
Draxas wrote:
VenusRain wrote:Also, the mini-society implied by Alpha Cerenkov I's existance. What differences would there be when the VUX probably ship off all of their "deviants" there?
I can't imagine they would actually do such a thing. First of all, AC I is a private world owned by Admiral ZEX, and second, he was only granted the planet because he was the most (only?) successful VUX commander and completely indispensible to the war effort. He even admits that the VUX government only put up with his personal tastes and shennanigans because of his contributions, and gave him AC I to get him away from the public eye once the war was over. I doubt that he would consent to allowing the government to dump any "criminal deviants" they wanted to on his private planet (or maybe he would, feeding his menagerie is probably quite expensive, but that hardly counts as a society).

Odds are good that the VUX government treats the majority of xeno-lovers the same way they treat the actual xenos: they have them close their eye and count to 3.

Apologies for derailing this thread for a moment. If you want to discuss this further, feel free to start a new topic.
I wasn't thinking of criminals when I said that. I'm pretty sure civilians and criminals would... disappear.

I don't remember ever seeing ZEX or the VUX in general saying that he owned the planet himself, though. Maybe it was All In The Manual? Besides, it's an entire planet--at the very least he'll need a huge staff to mantain the barriers keeping the beasties from killing them all, and who's to say that most of the staff are within the admittedly narrow views of "normal" for the VUX? I certainly don't think so.
Wild DEVIANT SCHOOLGIRL appeared!

Fight|Poke
Bag |>Run

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: Society on Alpha Cerenkov I

Post by Alvarin » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:47 am

One thing for sure - ZEX has almost infinite number of followers, as stated in-game and backed up by the fleet you encounter there. I'm pretty sure their presence is voluntary, rather then exile (except ZEX himself, who IS exiled)
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Guizot
Silly Supox

Post by Guizot » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:44 am

I doubt that ZEX's retinue shared his point of view, as ZEX says there are not many VUX with preferences similar to his own:

"...the few sophisticates, are not subject to the whims and fads of current fashion." - ZEX

I always held the belief that ZEX was more so being imprisoned. The way he talks about his confinement is very negative:

"But they would not tolerate my behavior, accept my desires as natural
so they sent me out here... a hero's exile! Where I won't `poison' the minds of youth
with my `bizarre' ideas and `perverted' lifestyle. Hmmph... bigoted fools." - ZEX

Sounds to me like the Intruders were there to keep ZEX safe, and, more importantly, away from other VUX. I think it is more likely that those guarding ZEX just have orders from The VUX High Council, typical soldiers put in an atypical situation. At the very least, it is relatively clear that ZEX does not very much appreciate his "protection".

Sorry about always being the contrarian.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:56 am

Someone has to.
But in this instance, you possibly are wrong - the intruders are ZEX's. Here's the quote from text: "I would find it interesting to face your ONE powerful, alien starship
with my huge personal fleet of Intruders," Note the word "PERSONAL"
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Guizot
Silly Supox

Post by Guizot » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:27 am

Quite a blind side, shame I am not very good at recoveries.

Although the Intruders may "belong" to ZEX in some manner or another, I have trouble believing that they will contradict potential orders from The High Council. I suppose "personal" can also have a very liberal interpretation: A prisoner can most certainly have "personal guards", as they are only related to that specific prisoner.

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:44 am

I think that they are ZEX's navy, loyal to him. There's no reason not to allow ZEX to continue commanding them. Think of Alpha Cerenkov I as being analogous to the frontiers of the Roman Empire; ZEX has been isolated from the center of power, but he is still useful as a commander, protecting VUX space from outside invaders.

Guizot
Silly Supox

Post by Guizot » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:31 am

I find The Palace of Versailles to be a more fitting analogy for the situation (and not just because I am a faux Frenchman). In case you are not familiar with the origins of the palace, I am willing (and as a pretentious history wretch, actually happy) to explain. Louis XIV, “The Sun King”, was intent on centralizing the government. This was mostly because the local lords of France (and all nations at the time, I suppose) were incompetent, incestuous, and sometimes even rebellious. Louis desperately needed a way to get rid of these idiots, but he most certainly could not simply go around deposing or killing the lords! The King was on top in the feudal society, but the lords still had majority. Moreover, the lords had the more direct "respect" (servitude) of the French people, and the King was absolutely required to treat his lords well.

The Palace of Versailles was undoubtedly a stroke of genius. Louis began constructing the most luxurious château in the nation, and promptly sent invitations to all of his petty noble minions. The invitation was concise: every noble was offered the chance to live in The Palace of Versailles, completely free of charge. Virtually anything was accessible at this glorious palace, the ultimate reward for being the King’s loyal vassals. There were few strings attached, but these strings were grave indeed. Any noble opting to live in Versailles is stripped of his ability to rule his land. Additionally, nobles that left Versailles were not allowed to return, to the palace or to their land!

Thus Louis XIV left the petty nobles completely ineffectual, drawn to Versailles to appease their King and descend into a superior hedonistic lifestyle, they were completely confined. However, they lived in complete opulence, therefore ensuring no sort of political dissonance.

In ZEX’s situation, The VUX High Council felt a need to be rid of his loose sexuality and his respect for hostile alien species. Taking a similar route to Louis, ZEX was “given the gift” of a pleasure palace, only this meant his social isolation and presumably, a de facto retirement from the military. Just as the servants of The Palace of Versailles were not deemed its inhabitants or even belonging to the lords, the regiment defending ZEX are not the denizens of an eccentric settlement, nor the possessions of ZEX. Louis owned the servants, the palace, even the lords! The High Council’s feigned reward was a display of dominance, a clandestine act to subjugate and eliminate the threat ZEX created.

Only now do I realize the sheer length and pompous air of this despicable rebuttal I have created, but I suppose I will post this revolting aberration to at least prove I am a pathetic pseudointellectual determined to prove his point.

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:54 am

I can sort of see where you're going with this. ZEX, surrounded by hedonistic bliss, cannot interfere with the powers-that-be. Those powers, not wanting to share their power at the war's conclusion lest, Ike-like, ZEX steps into the position of Commander-in-Chief, contrived the excuse that ZEX's proclivities were sufficient reason to send him into (well-appointed) exile, while it was really a power-play.

Where your analogy falls down, if I understand it correctly, is that instead of there being Louis XIV and dozens of nobles, there's just one noble and no king at all.

Not that my "Roman frontier" analogy is any better. ZEX would be living in a tent-equivalent, or a fort or something, not in a stately pleasure dome.

Guizot
Silly Supox

Post by Guizot » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:18 am

Hah! Now that you point that out, it is backwards! Louis fought to subjugate numerous nobles, while The VUX High Council (which I guess would be multiple VUX, well, I guess the common VUX did not seem to like ZEX much either) did their best to push aside ZEX. One against many, many against one. I need to work on my rhetorical devices...

And my god! The way you people express your opinions makes me feel like an internet troll! The way you write in a concise, tolerant manner does much to accentuate my bellicose ranting. I feel as if all I post here is "u r wrongz! i r teh best!"...

I humbly request that you all forgive me for my less than savory lingual patterns.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:41 am

I always considered Cerenkov more of an Australian analogy myself. I mean, ZEX is a big important and succesful commander, but too excentric for the VUX leadership. It isnt't that uncommon for soldiers to be more loyal to their succesful commander than to the burecrauts back home, so they can't exactly strip him of his rank without risking a mutiny.

So they find a mutually acceptable solution. ZEX and soldiery loyal to him goes into voluntary exile. He can indulge himself and regular VUX don't have to endure him.

But now you've got a planet with a large military force commanding it. A place regular VUX fear and a certain few lust for. What better use than as a huge prison? Being sent there is going to be a big deterrent to normal VUX and it isn't as if having to keep a few people locked up is going to make the deal less sweet to ZEX. So the VUX start dumping problems on Cerenkov and ZEX is their "king".