The Chmmr Avatar and its design...

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Re: The Chmmr Avatar and its design...

Post by Eth »

Yes, let's not get too caught up in carbon-based chauvinism, eh? Just because silicon is used to make computer chips doesn't mean that silicon-based life is any less life than carbon-based life is.
DefenderDT
Hunam adventurer

Post by DefenderDT »

Eth wrote:Yes, let's not get too caught up in carbon-based chauvinism, eh? Just because silicon is used to make computer chips doesn't mean that silicon-based life is any less life than carbon-based life is.
What is a Crystal?
A miserable little lineup of carbon molecules!

But enough calcification,
Have at you!
Coleslaw
ZEXy Beast

Post by Coleslaw »

DefenderDT wrote: What is a Crystal?
A miserable little lineup of carbon molecules!

But enough calcification,
Have at you!
That would be a diamond.

Silicon is a metallic element, and won't form into translucent crystal. It forms into silvery metallic crystals of a blah blah nobody really cares pattern. Aluminum, in the form of aluminum oxide, does form translucent crystals, aka rubies and sapphires.
Caterpillars, mushrooms, used bubblegum, spiders, calamari, meta-mollusks, and clones of Parker Lewis? The Hierarchy can be defeated with a can of Raid, and a trash bag!
Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 »

Cyrstalline silicon is semiconducting, not metallic.

That said... Defender - I get the impression you're referring to something, but I can't think of what it is.
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas »

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!

Courtosey of Dracula, Castlevania: Symphony of the night. The voiced dialog in the original english release was awesome for all the wrong reasons.
Sage
Wise and Ancient Soul

Post by Sage »

I kind of wish my cleverness was more on the ball when I saw Draxas's reference, but I couldn't think of anything to fit with his line well enough without saying something dumb. Oh well.
Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star »

Coleslaw wrote:Which came first? the Cell, or metabolism. Metabolism has been found occurring under certain conditions (underwater, on heated pyrite crystals)
While the surface of Procyon II is cold, dead, and lacking an atmosphere, the interior may be different. Jupiter's moon, Europa, is composed largely of water - while it is cold and dead on the outside, it is believed that a liquid ocean lies underneath the crust. Imagine Procyon II as a similar case, but possessing a liquid-crystal interior of some sort, warmed by the planet's internal heat. This would allow a suitable environment for both evolution and growth of crystal-based organisms.

Perhaps the adult Chenjesu are eventually moved to the surface, either using their own technology or field manipulation abilities, or passively through geological processes. Once they reach the surface, any further evolutionary or growth processes would cease (or slow down immensely), but they could then obtain energy from the sun for carrying out whatever it is that Chenjesu do when they're not getting schooled by the Heirarchy.
Lukipela wrote:I emphatically and categorically disagree with your conclusion. The Syreen power of charm works on sentient beings, and unless you want to deal with the silicon anti-defamation league or the equal android movement I suggest you withdraw your quite frankly base accusations towards these sentient races. The Slylandro vessel is an automated probe, the others are living thinking beings. Big difference there.
Eh, the idea of giant crystals or robots flinging them out the airlock (or equivalent) for the sultry charms of the Syreen (regardless of cup-size) always struck me as a bit silly. But I perhaps I'm straying on the wrong side of the realism/fun divide here.
oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop »

Bleeding Star wrote: Eh, the idea of giant crystals or robots flinging them out the airlock (or equivalent) for the sultry charms of the Syreen (regardless of cup-size) always struck me as a bit silly. But I perhaps I'm straying on the wrong side of the realism/fun divide here.
Hey, the Taalo were immune to the Dnyarri, maybe crystals and robots are immune to the Song?
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas »

It was also said that the Taalo had unique "biology" which imparted this resistance, and they were quite different from the Chenjesu in that regard.
zenzmurfy
Arilou wiseguy

Post by zenzmurfy »

oldlaptop wrote:
Bleeding Star wrote: Eh, the idea of giant crystals or robots flinging them out the airlock (or equivalent) for the sultry charms of the Syreen (regardless of cup-size) always struck me as a bit silly. But I perhaps I'm straying on the wrong side of the realism/fun divide here.
Hey, the Taalo were immune to the Dnyarri, maybe crystals and robots are immune to the Song?
I don't ever recall playing a syreen against the chenjesu, but it would have been cool if the hypno thing didn't work. Then again its hyno technology not telepathic technology.