TFB to make Augmented Reality Spyro game!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Sage
Wise and Ancient Soul

TFB to make Augmented Reality Spyro game!

Post by Sage » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:03 pm

I just happened to fumble across this in a feed on an unrelated blog, but here you go!

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Re: TFB to make Augmented Reality Spyro game!

Post by Angelfish » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:18 pm

fuck this, not another kids game :(

Saria
Pkunk Elder

Post by Saria » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:25 pm

What's with this new trend of microtransactions in video games? Pissing me off recently.

Regardless, they still make Spyro games? I thought that series was dead. Or at least it died for me after the company that originally made them went bankrupt.

God dammit Activision, stop reviving things that need to stay dead.

Regardless, Good luck TFB. I won't buy this game, but I'm sure as hell lots of other people will.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:02 pm

How disappointing, while I realize Activision will probably rake in some serious profits from this project (and that's all that they care about; of course, it could instead fail miserably, with people balking at the high initial price tag and need to buy toys to fully play the game), it really feels like they're dead set on wasting TFB's talents on stuff like this.

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:34 pm

Draxas wrote:How disappointing, while I realize Activision will probably rake in some serious profits from this project (and that's all that they care about; of course, it could instead fail miserably, with people balking at the high initial price tag and need to buy toys to fully play the game), it really feels like they're dead set on wasting TFB's talents on stuff like this.
Wasted talent? Spyro may be considered a "Kids series" but they still were amazing games compared to games targeted towards older audiences....well, the first 3 games anyway, that were developed by Insomniac. Every Spyro game after that was crap. I have good hopes that Toys for Bob can revive the series for me!

Oh wait, I just remembered Activision....Disregard everything I just said

{This sort of reminds me of Sierra obtaining the rights to the Crash Bandicoot series, I can still hear the crying fans}
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

Anthony
Hunam adventurer

Post by Anthony » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:18 am

It's definitely geared towards a younger audience.

I'm not quite sure what to think, but based on the e-mails Alex wrote back about hiring more people over the years, how this would have a more classic TFB feel and how this is one of their biggest projects ever, I'm actually curious about it. It's still a kid's game.

I know there's been negative feedback from Spyro fans. I haven't played any of the Spyro games before. :( There's been so many closures and cancellations from Activision while TFB was working on this. True Crime: Hong Kong was cancelled and there will be no more Guitar Hero and DJ Hero games. I hope the devs behind those games will still be working.

If this wasn't a TFB game, I'd probably forget about Skylanders. I just don't want them to close down if this doesn't succeed. I just hope that this becomes a stepping stone towards Star Control or at least another project they have more control over.
Check out my blog at http://starcontroller.com

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:20 am

Interesting. I played the first Spyro a bit. It wasn't too bad. This stuff with the toys interacting with the game is kinda cute, I guess. Overall, I'm a bit disappointed, but not completely negative about this.

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:08 am

Cute maybe, but it looks like it would rapidly become expensive. Thanks Activision. It's like needing DLC to finish the game, but even harder to get hold of.

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:37 pm

TFB updated their news.

Saria
Pkunk Elder

Post by Saria » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:51 pm

chenjesuwizard wrote:TFB updated their news.
They also updated their "About Us".