Do you know the ancestor of all Starcon games ?

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Ultron
Hunam adventurer

Do you know the ancestor of all Starcon games ?

Post by Ultron » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:30 pm

Hello Hunams,

you won´t believe it ! Triggered by the new site I digged deep into my archives and found STARFLIGHT ! The original game on 256kb floppy disks.
I made some photos and try to upload them here. If anyone needs them high res., just let me know.
Amazingly all the game content of SC is in the game as well, but just look the photos.
This game dates back to 1986, even patents are obsolete after this amount of time. I wonder whether I should retrieve the game data from the floppies ?

Regards
Attachments
SF-1.jpg
SF-1.jpg (89.4 KiB) Viewed 5377 times
starflight-map.jpg
starflight-map.jpg (73.97 KiB) Viewed 5377 times
SF-cover.jpg
SF-cover.jpg (141.51 KiB) Viewed 5377 times

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: Do you know the ancestor of all Starcon games ?

Post by Nuclear » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:25 pm

Wasn't the very first ancestor for StarControl "Spacewar!"? The very basic arcade game where you attempt to shoot your opponent in a gravity well or something? None of the less, nice pics. StarFlight does look suspiciously similar to StarControl, what with its own Hyperspace map ;). Does that game run on DOS or is it IBM only?
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:40 pm

That's pretty incredible. I miss the times when maps and illustrations were much prettier than the actual game. Your fantasy got a lot more of a workout than it does nowadays.

You should run a Let's play with Starflight, that'd be pretty interesting.

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:26 pm

I remember that game. I borrowed it from my friend for a time, but I couldn't get into it like I could SC2.
Nuclear wrote:Wasn't the very first ancestor for StarControl "Spacewar!"? The very basic arcade game where you attempt to shoot your opponent in a gravity well or something?
It wasn't an arcade game (at least, not originally) but a computer game, played on the PDP-1 starting in 1962.
Does that game run on DOS or is it IBM only?
At the time, IBM was by far the most popular manufacturer of DOS-based PCs. So popular, in fact, that "IBM" was used as a generic term for Intel/DOS platforms. Of course, you were but a babe in arms back then, so I wouldn't expect you to remember. ;)

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:48 pm

Eth wrote:At the time, IBM was by far the most popular manufacturer of DOS-based PCs. So popular, in fact, that "IBM" was used as a generic term for Intel/DOS platforms. Of course, you were but a babe in arms back then, so I wouldn't expect you to remember. ;)
Indeed, I love a good history lesson. I just asked that so I knew if I could run it in DOSbox after downloading it. Seems interesting enough.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

Ultron
Hunam adventurer

Post by Ultron » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:13 am

Ok, what I will do is, looking for an old 5,25" floppy drive, rigging up an old PC to accomodate this drive and then try to retrieve the data from the floppies.
Then I will upload them into the download area ...wait... ugh... no download area ... Ok, I will post a link to hyperspace, where the zip file will be located.
Anyhow, now I have to check with Ebay for a floppy drive ....

Frumple
Site Admin

Post by Frumple » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:36 pm

I never played Starflight. I always wanted to. I bought a copy off of eBay many many years ago.

How does it hold up? Worth trying to play now? Are there any modern remakes or modernizations for it (like UQM for StarCon2)?
Image "...Dogar And Kazon Clack Their Mandibles Against One Another And Snicker With Amusement." Image

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:39 pm

Frumple wrote: Are there any modern remakes or modernizations for it (like UQM for StarCon2)?
There is no currently finished remake, although one is being worked on. A fan-made sequel is in progress:

http://starflight3.org

There is a section on their forums about the remake:

http://icc.starflight3.org/index.php?board=26.0

EDIT: Fix URL tag
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

Quinarbre
Orz *camper*

Post by Quinarbre » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:46 pm

Also, as mentioned on the SMF forum and on UQMF :

http://groups.google.com/group/starflighttlc

sparkawk
ZEXy Beast

Post by sparkawk » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:57 pm

Ahh, Spacewars. Now that is a game I played frequently as a child. Missles and lasers, invulnerable planet... and who used the stupid laser anyway!