Do you know the ancestor of all Starcon games ?

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

cymon
Hunam adventurer

Re: Do you know the ancestor of all Starcon games ?

Post by cymon » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:29 pm

Quinarbre wrote:Also, as mentioned on the SMF forum and on UQMF :

http://groups.google.com/group/starflighttlc
So I picked this up and tried it and it's not bad. Even makes me want to finish it. And I mean finish it both in terms of cracking open the code, giving it a UI worth using, and in terms of beating the game.

Quinarbre
Orz *camper*

Post by Quinarbre » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:47 pm

Well, I say go for it ! But don't feel compelled to implement an ASCII mode...

zenzmurfy
Arilou wiseguy

Post by zenzmurfy » Sat May 29, 2010 4:20 am

Space war and Archon are also ancestors too. Some of the racial special attacks mimic the ones in Archon like life stealing ie syreen.

-zz

Ultron
Hunam adventurer

Post by Ultron » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:21 pm

Here ist the download for the (finally) retrieved game

http://www.star-control.com/community/v ... ?f=8&t=353

or

www.syntox.com/starflt.zip

Have fun ^^

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:56 pm

Matt chat talked about Star Control 2 and its history. They have an intro in the beginning, and the 3DO Star Control opening, so you may want to bypass that and go to the 3:15 mark if you're impatient.

The video is interesitng for those not willing to try to get those old games to run but want to learn the history. I recommend checking out his Youtube channel. He also has some videos of some of my other favorite games such as Dune 2 and Monkey Island. For me, the most interesting stuff is the interviews of some of these creators. Romero on talking about Daikatana, Howard Scott Warshaw talking about making E.T. the videogame, Al Lowe talking about Leisure Suit Larry, etc.
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014
My new portfolio site! and my DeviantArt!

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Gekko » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:08 pm

*embraces his Sid Meier's Pirates! and Advanced D&D: Eye of the Beholder maps to his hug*
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod

TSC
Silly Supox

Post by TSC » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:35 pm

I think people who haven't played SF1 and SF2 or only one of them would be ASTOUNDED by how much SC2 more or less cribbed from StarFlight. (Which is okay actually, lots of the same people working on it. (However if that HADN'T been the case it actually might have meant SC2 was a ripoff!)

As it is, it's more of a streamlining of the same idea, by a group of partially the same people. And it worked very well like that. Just saying... the amount of stuff SC2 took from the Starflight games is very very high.

I don't mean this as bashing Star Control 2, which is in fact my favourite game, but even so. Honesty demands that I acknowledge that they took ALOT from StarFlight and that if StarFlight had never existed there'd probably be either no Star Control 2, or a Star Control that'd be so completely different it might as well be another game entirely.

Ultronomicon has a good list of what Star Control 2 owes to Starflight, and even that one is probably incomplete. But I can name some examples.

For example the G'Nunk in Starflight 2 are a collective of three species (like the Zoq-Fot-Pik) and share the personality of the Thraddash, complete with worshipping an artifact you have to steal from them. Like the Thraddash they only will deal with those who can defeat them in combat. In addition the G'Nunk have a religion revolving G'naen Sh'Gar, she/it who hunts, who shares a few similarities to Dogar and Kazon. (Although the G'Nunk see G'Naen Sh'Gar as benevolent, their idea of benevolence is killing people to make them stronger.)

Then another Starflight 2 race, the Tandelou, they are divided like the Pkunk and the Yehat, although both groups ramble mystically in a way similar to the Pkunk. They all wear masks, like the Utwig, and they otherwise look like Ur-Quan.

Then in StarFlight 1 and 2 there's the Spemin, who's personality is like a malevolent Spathi, and who look like Umgah.

Then there's Uhl from Starflight, an entity from another dimension poking into this one and taking over other species. (Similarities to the Orz and the Dnyarri (Although the Dnyarri are also similar to Larry Niven's Thrintun (And it's possible the Uhl where inspired partially by this too.)

And basically the list goes on like that.

Now gameplay wise Star Control is however MUCH smoother and overall I'd say it's more fun to play. It's like a streamlined StarFlight and I think it DID add it's own twist to StarFlights ideas and added a few new ones. But it's roots show very clearly if you know StarFlight.

I'd say the only thing I miss from StarFlight gameplay wise though compared to Star Control is that StarFlights planets are huge and end up feeling like real planets. Compared to Star Controls less involved mini-game planets. StarFlight 2 even had non-starfaring races who you could meet and trade with. (And if they where advanced enough they'd even drive around vehicles on the surface.) So in terms of planets, I think StarFlight was better. Everything else though Star Control is easily better.

I also like that Star Control on the whole was more humourous. Although Starflight did have it's own bits of humour, mind you! (The Spemin can be quite funny, and there's also things like the Tandelou going on about how they could take the Umanu, just they don't do it because the mystical forces of Thdok-Bryg-Ahhh say they shouldn't. (In actuality the Umanu would curbstomp them in a fight, so it's pretty obvious they're full of it.) The Tandelou do admit it's fortunate though that they 'don't have to'.

Still Star Control 2 ultimately still had more funny lines, and I think that's a big strength SC2 has. Anyone can pull on a serious face, but funny stuff is hard to write, and SC2 has a very nice amount of it.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:14 pm

TSC wrote:…if StarFlight had never existed there'd probably be either no Star Control 2, or a Star Control that'd be so completely different it might as well be another game entirely.
or all of the stuff that was in Starflight would have been used in SC2 first because Starflight didn't exist. Same people, as you said.

TSC
Silly Supox

Post by TSC » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:24 am

Death 999 wrote:
TSC wrote:…if StarFlight had never existed there'd probably be either no Star Control 2, or a Star Control that'd be so completely different it might as well be another game entirely.
or all of the stuff that was in Starflight would have been used in SC2 first because Starflight didn't exist. Same people, as you said.

Good point there I suppose. But I dunno, I think even in that case we might have also had StarFlight with SC2 gameplay instead then.

Which actually would've been fine too come to think of it, it'd have led to a very similar game.

But I like the way it ended up. Star Control 2 IS the first one I played out of all of them. But after discovering StarFlight 1 and 2 I have to admit, the similarities are very big.

I do think they gave a SC2 twist to the stuff they cribbed and made it it's own thing, but SC2 owes alot to the StarFlight series nonetheless, and credit has to be given where credit is due.