Tweaks and changes to the new forum

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Rider
Not Ride Her

Tweaks and changes to the new forum

Post by Rider » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:10 pm

So you're moving into a new place. You set up your furniture, unbox your crap and find it a place somewhere in your new house. Then after a little bit, you'll start noticing the little things. That window is crooked and doesn't close right, there's a small leak in that corner over there... the floor is pretty old and should be replaced.

As we've just moved into our new place on the web, this would be about the time we can start fixing those minor annoyances, to tweak the bits and make it truly feel like home! So share your thoughts! What do you feel needs to be changed/fixed before you can call it home?

For me it's a few small things:
  • Smileys - I'd like to see the old ones used, I personally don't care much for this set.
    Username font - It's pretty small. Maybe it'd look better being just a bit bigger
    Signature placement - For short posts it can be quite high up, I think it'd look better if it was closer to the bottom of each posts allotted vertical space.
    Quote button placement - Wouldn't it look better near the top of a user's post?
Please chime in with the ones you agree with, and share your own! The sooner we get this out of the way the sooner we can start living here ;)
Hehe, that's what I said!

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: Tweaks and changes to the new forum

Post by Nuclear » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:15 pm

Rider wrote:Smileys - I'd like to see the old ones used, I personally don't care much for this set.
YES! The emoticons! With the possible exception of the green one :mrgreen: , the rolling eyes one :roll: , the animated laughing one :lol: and the alpha nerd one :ugeek: , these smileys aren't as good. Again, it all factors on how adorable they are. I think I heard something about StarControl themed smileys but until then, I'd like to see the old ones back.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:03 pm

Keep posting suggestions in this thread, it makes it easier for us to find them all. I won't promise anything since it's been busy lately, but some of those should be doable.

Scott Irving
Site Admin

Post by Scott Irving » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:54 pm

I am working a "dark" SCDB skin for the forum just so you all know, were also looking at changing the "online" "offline" ship image from the Precursor Scout? to the Lander.

I agree with the User name's needing to be bigger.

:update: I have also saved the old smilies from the SMF forum, if it's decided we need them.
Site Admin and General Techie person. Also I'm batman.

Frumple
Site Admin

Post by Frumple » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:43 pm

We can definitely work on some of these suggestions.

With enough effort, couldn't a SMF smiley set be made?

I definitely agree, that the Username font seems too small.

I also wouldn't mind someone more talented than me working on the header graphic :D There is just way way too much wasted space up there.
Image "...Dogar And Kazon Clack Their Mandibles Against One Another And Snicker With Amusement." Image

Rider
Not Ride Her

Post by Rider » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:04 pm

I'll pretend you never mentioned "talented" and propose my quick doodle. Simply add the text and Spathi/Ultron and it should work.

Hehe, that's what I said!

Fossaman
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Fossaman » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:36 pm

Minor grievance; the New Posts(popular) icon doesn't work properly. It uses the forum default instead of repaired ultron icon.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:04 pm

Fossaman wrote:Minor grievance; the New Posts(popular) icon doesn't work properly. It uses the forum default instead of repaired ultron icon.
Yeah, working on that. The software disinguishes between topics and topics you've posted in. I thought I'd gotten them all, but apparently not.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:18 pm

I want all the old board's posts placed here too.. Don't like this 'fresh start', we've had enough of those in the past and so many things were lost back then.. :'(

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:56 am

Angelfish wrote:I want all the old board's posts placed here too.. Don't like this 'fresh start', we've had enough of those in the past and so many things were lost back then.. :'(
Are you volunteering to overcome the technical hurdles involved?