Tweaks and changes to the new forum

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Re: Tweaks and changes to the new forum

Post by Angelfish » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:30 am

Eth wrote:
Angelfish wrote:I want all the old board's posts placed here too.. Don't like this 'fresh start', we've had enough of those in the past and so many things were lost back then.. :'(
Are you volunteering to overcome the technical hurdles involved?
Most people are converting from PhpBB to SMF these days, not the other way around..
But this convertor might be worth looking at: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5&t=589439 .. It contains some scripts to convert an SMF 1.1.x forum to a PHPBB3 one.

Take care that this is the latest beta for this converter: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... #p10416685

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:35 am

Also, it could be possible that users can't access their logins after the conversion, because of the way passwords are stored, but they could reactivate their account then by using the passmailer (unless they are using a different email address by now, then one the board administrators would have to change the email address manually after which the passmailer can be used again)

Scott Irving
Site Admin

Post by Scott Irving » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:32 am

Part of the reason for the fresh start, is the problems we were having with SMF seemed to be tied to something in all of our content. Thus we didn't want to take a chance introducing "bugs" into the new forum. The SMF content was I believe originally converted from the previous forum incarnation and that may well have been where it started, but the "bugs" didn't crop up for many years after the fact. Tech support, community support and our own test's were not able to determine the problem but it all seemed tied to our content database. So were very hesitant to try any converting of old content; But this maybe something we will test independent of the main forum.
Site Admin and General Techie person. Also I'm batman.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:41 am

Ofcourse, you can always test it on a separate PhpBB before you implement it over here.
Just remember that a forum is worth as much as the content that resides in it, so in fact you've gone from a forum that was worth something to a forum which is worth a lot less. Please do whatever you can to restore those old posts to this forum, or they'll get lost in time and space like so many star control forums before that...

Rider
Not Ride Her

Post by Rider » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:16 am

Personally, I like the fresh start. I don't think there's that much "history" that we need to have around this place for it to function right.
Hehe, that's what I said!

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:09 pm

Rider wrote:Personally, I like the fresh start. I don't think there's that much "history" that we need to have around this place for it to function right.
When you have been a member of the Star control community for like.. what is it, 12 years, seeing all those great forums go to waste quite saddens me.. I don't want to have to look in 5 different places to see what the SC community has had to say about certain things ;).

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:54 pm

The problem was that fixing or migrating the forum properly would entail one of the following:

1. Opening up the database to a random person, who could steal people's information.
2. Spending a lot of time trying to fix or migrate it, with no guarantee of success.
3. Spending a lot of money hiring someone to solve the problem.

#1 was unethical. Chad was unwilling to do #2, as he simply doesn't have the time to spare. And nobody felt like spending a bunch of money for #3, either. After months of doing what we could think of, and suggesting various solutions, Chad agreed that simply starting over with a better-supported forum was the way to go, while maintaining the old forum in a read-only state as an archive. There was some delay as we dealt with the redesign of the main PoNaF site and the migration to the new server, but once that was over, and after we'd tested the new forum and got the SC theme done, Chad decided to do the switch.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:09 am

Eth wrote:The problem was that fixing or migrating the forum properly would entail one of the following:

1. Opening up the database to a random person, who could steal people's information.
2. Spending a lot of time trying to fix or migrate it, with no guarantee of success.
3. Spending a lot of money hiring someone to solve the problem.

#1 was unethical. Chad was unwilling to do #2, as he simply doesn't have the time to spare. And nobody felt like spending a bunch of money for #3, either. After months of doing what we could think of, and suggesting various solutions, Chad agreed that simply starting over with a better-supported forum was the way to go, while maintaining the old forum in a read-only state as an archive. There was some delay as we dealt with the redesign of the main PoNaF site and the migration to the new server, but once that was over, and after we'd tested the new forum and got the SC theme done, Chad decided to do the switch.
So, first you ask for my help, after which I spend some time looking around, and posting a solution for this problem..
And now you're not going to do anything with it because you weren't going to migrate the forum anyhow?

Rider
Not Ride Her

Post by Rider » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:01 am

Angelfish wrote:seeing all those great forums go to waste quite saddens me.
Y'know why those forums where great? Because of the people that where part of it. I'm not at all sentimental about losing a forum iteration, though I have thought about it, but found no real reason to feel otherwise. For me it's the community that counts, and we're bringing that along to this place. Everything else is just water under the bridge.
Hehe, that's what I said!

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:46 am

Rider wrote:
Angelfish wrote:seeing all those great forums go to waste quite saddens me.
Y'know why those forums where great? Because of the people that where part of it. I'm not at all sentimental about losing a forum iteration, though I have thought about it, but found no real reason to feel otherwise. For me it's the community that counts, and we're bringing that along to this place. Everything else is just water under the bridge.
We're not bringing the entire community along with us. Even I was thinking about not coming back again...
And there are topics in the old forum that are still relevant and vivid, and that some people might want to reply to.. They can't, or they don't ret read.
And good that you're not sentimental about those things, but many people are ;). It's why they for example keep their family pictures in fireproof safes :).