Tweaks and changes to the new forum

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Re: Tweaks and changes to the new forum

Post by Angelfish » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:14 am

Oh, and guys, go easy on the feature requests.
If it's something that requires the installation of additional scripts, it's best to leave it alone. Who knows what fuckups may occur.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:39 am

Just checked on the old forum.. Was the only problem the threads disappearing?
Because that problem is clearly a problem either in the way that SMF stores data, or the way it retrieves it from the database.
I haven't looked at the actual database, but I assume that there's some sort of table that stores which users have viewed which topics. If the wrong data gets stored in that table by SMF, it might cause problems displaying the wrong threads. If the data is retrieved wrongly by SMF, it might cause the same problems.

What's important to realize is that:
1) PhpBB and SMF likely use different methods to store and view these things.
2) This data is likely not being transfered in a conversion (it's not really relevant). And if it IS being transfered to the phpBB board, we should prevent that from happening.

So with this out of the way, I believe I've established that the problem lies with SMF, and that phpBB will not have the same problems..

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:59 pm

The layout and such is great on the browser version. However, when viewing it in mobile I get the rather annoying feature of it being completely enormous. The title of the forum, for example, is inside a huge blue block that occupies roughly the entire screen of my (admittedly old and crap) phone. I can't post here from my mobile like I could on the old one because any buttons pressed take about a minute to take effect.

Scott Irving
Site Admin

Post by Scott Irving » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:11 am

A small update on the SMF to phpBB.. The script appears to be destructive when it converts information over, as I understand it, destroying any existing content on the "new" forum. But we (i.e mostly *frumple*) are looking into it.
Site Admin and General Techie person. Also I'm batman.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:21 am

Scott Irving wrote:A small update on the SMF to phpBB.. The script appears to be destructive when it converts information over, as I understand it, destroying any existing content on the "new" forum. But we (i.e mostly *frumple*) are looking into it.
Do you mean that it starts with a 'blank' phpBB database and converts the SMF posts to it?

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:07 am

Basically. We would lose the past couple of weeks' (or however many weeks it had been when the conversion was done) worth of posts. Chad's looking into some kind of database merging script, too. We'll see what happens.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:13 am

Eth wrote:Basically. We would lose the past couple of weeks' (or however many weeks it had been when the conversion was done) worth of posts. Chad's looking into some kind of database merging script, too. We'll see what happens.
Congratz on your progress thusfar :D.

Zeracles
Pootworm

Post by Zeracles » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:59 am

Eth wrote:Basically. We would lose the past couple of weeks' (or however many weeks it had been when the conversion was done) worth of posts. Chad's looking into some kind of database merging script, too. We'll see what happens.
Well if you can then merge the converted stuff with the past few weeks' threads nothing will be lost :)

Also, a very minor point about quotes (or code) and replies

Code: Select all

[quote]you said . . .[/quote]
insert reply here
puts an unnecessary vertical space between the quote and the reply.

Code: Select all

[quote]you said . . .[/quote]insert reply here
gets rid of it.
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:58 pm

Well, that's Easter out of the way. Assuming it is possible, I'll start looking at the requests in this thread next week. For now that nifty transfer script for old posts de-admined me on the test forum so I can't do squat. But obstacles are there to be overcome :)

- Broken icons
- Larger Usernames
- Centered Avatars / Online/Offline icon
- Smileys
- Links to separate windows
- Link to the site instead of the forum in the header
- Resize images
- Strikethrough for text.

I was going to ignore "Giant text" and Marque, but I guess Zeracles made a good argument for it over in OT.

Anyway, I'll let you know how work on these go

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:46 am

Another thing I might add, shouldn't clicking on someones user name bring you to said users profile? Theres no link, its just pure, solid ASCII code...
EDIT: And also, I don't think I saw polls around, can't those be added in somehow or would that take to much work?
Last edited by Nuclear on Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.