Tweaks and changes to the new forum

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: Tweaks and changes to the new forum

Post by Lukipela »

Rider wrote:They aren't the exact same set, but they're close enough I guess. The default smiley shortcuts still trigger the old ones though... can that be switched around?

Code: Select all

:)
should produce :)-smf IMO
Dunno why they look different really, it's the exact files copied over. Or should be. Guess we'll have to think a bit on that.
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas »

They do look a littl too "chunky", like they're in lo-res or something. Maybe we didn't notice before because of a darker board background? Is it sad that I don't even remember what the old background color was anymore?
Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir »

I'd still love some sort of mobile viewing function, I can't access the forum on saturday mornings any more (not at home). It tries to compress everything I'd see from a computer into a width about half the width of my actual phone screen. Anything that can be done about this, I'd really appreciate.
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

Dabir wrote:I'd still love some sort of mobile viewing function, I can't access the forum on saturday mornings any more (not at home). It tries to compress everything I'd see from a computer into a width about half the width of my actual phone screen. Anything that can be done about this, I'd really appreciate.
How did the old forum handle this? Did you just scroll sideways? I suspect it depends a lot on the phone you use, I didn't notice much difference between SMF and phpBB on a Nokia E71.
Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir »

IIRC, when you used the old forum from your mobile you didn't get the mobile icon, I think you were looking at the HTML version. SMF had a mobile version that definitely worked for me - no links in posts, no images, no background colour blocks to eat up my memory. Just the name of the board, the different fora (each assigned a number for my convenience) etc. Here, it's a nightmare to navigate on mobile and I can't actually get a look at any of the fora because the pages are too big.

EDIT: For comparison, mine is a Motorola W375.
Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear »

I've already mentioned somewhere in here that clicking on someones user name inside a thread should link you to that persons profile page, but I detect a tinge of unacknowledged :ugeek:
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

Dabir wrote:EDIT: For comparison, mine is a Motorola W375.
That's your problem then, buy a proper Nokia instead of that. Jokes aside, I'll have a look but I can't promise anything. There might be some way for you to limit your phone browser so that it doesn't load css and whatnot.

Nuclear wrote:I've already mentioned somewhere in here that clicking on someones user name inside a thread should link you to that persons profile page, but I detect a tinge of unacknowledged :ugeek:
Sorry, I missed that. I'll add it to the pile.
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

Because I haven't had an chance to play with the split post tool, I did so now. Also, otherwise I'll get lost and forget what I was supposed to be tweaking. So the karma discussion now has a new thread and I've had an opportunity to play moderator. Sometimes things work out well.
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin »

Is there any specific reason for not having StarControl emoticons?

Once I was doing animated icons for fun, long time ago... I think I could try a set of SC smileys.

What I saved lies here -
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v472/ ... s/?start=0
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.
Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear »

I've actually downloaded all those computer ones and now using them in MSN, thanks for that :D-smf
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.