SC2 Playthrough on Youtube

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

SC2 Playthrough on Youtube

Post by Bleeding Star » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:29 am

Not sure if this has been posted, but I just spotted a blind playthrough of SC2 on Youtube. It's done by a dude called JimPlaysGames, and it's pretty sweet. He's obviously a giant Sci-fi nerd and I really enjoy the commentary: the way he recognises the influences and in-jokes and appreciates some old-school space opera. On the other hand, he is implausibly bad at the game. I can't count the number of times I was shouting at the screen as he ignored yet another piece of crucial information, or picked exactly the wrong ship for the job. Nevertheless, that may be part of the charm. Very entertaining if you have a good few hours to spare. First part is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Ex4tSwfk8

And he then does some analysis of the themes and shit afterwards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYVaEoWH ... ure=relmfu

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: SC2 Playthrough on Youtube

Post by Dyandod » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:47 am

Huh- I was going to post this, but I forgot. Thanks for doing it for me!

Yeah, I watched all of this, and it's great to see someone go through the "blind" experience, since we can't have that particular experience anymore. And yes, he is pretty terrible at the game, but he figures it out :)
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:40 am

Yeah, I saw your comments on youtube, which is why I thought that there might already be a thread. Good work on throwing out the hook for Project6014.

To be honest, I probably wasn't much better on my first playthrough, but he was just so bad with most of the ships. I was so goddamn relieved when he finally, 2/3 through the game, figured out that a Spathi might be better than a Cruiser in some circumstances. Of course, it does take some balls (or lack of brains) to do a playthrough without significant rehearsing in Super-Melee.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:57 pm

Bleeding Star wrote:Of course, it does take some balls (or lack of brains) to do a playthrough without significant rehearsing in Super-Melee.
Isn't that part of what a blind playthrough is all about, though? Spoiling yourself with testing out all the ships and their capabilities may not be as bad as looking up a walkthrough, but it is still significant foreknowledge.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:38 pm

If you're doing a blind playthrough as a sort of historical viability exercise or as if you'd just come from playing SC1, then having experience with the alliance side of the SC1 ships against the hierarchy side of the SC1 ships is fair. There are degrees of blindness.

But for all of them, you should have access to the originally-shipped starmap. That's part of the game, really.

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:08 pm

Draxas wrote:Isn't that part of what a blind playthrough is all about, though? Spoiling yourself with testing out all the ships and their capabilities may not be as bad as looking up a walkthrough, but it is still significant foreknowledge.
Yeah, I guess. I think practising with various matchups that you have already encountered in the full game is legit though.
Death 999 wrote:If you're doing a blind playthrough as a sort of historical viability exercise or as if you'd just come from playing SC1, then having experience with the alliance side of the SC1 ships against the hierarchy side of the SC1 ships is fair. There are degrees of blindness.
I think this is where I was when I started SC2. It puts you in a nice position of being good with some of the ships, but still with some surprises in store.
But for all of them, you should have access to the originally-shipped starmap. That's part of the game, really.
Indeed. Many useful hints for the early game there. Also, finding the Ilwrath homeworld is an absolute bitch if you don't have it.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:28 am

In part 6, that was some serious lousy luck with encountering probes... and some serious good luck on dealing with the first two with a cruiser.

In part 10, the Ilwrath. Charging the Ilwrath with your flagship? It has a short ranged weapon. Try to stay away?

In part 12... how many times are you going to fly Fwiffo straight up the bore of the ur-quan cannon while not firing your weapon? I mean, the point of coming close was to do damage, right? So, TRY TO DO SOME DAMAGE! Get a feeling for your range! Stay at that range!

Cedric6014
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Cedric6014 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:12 am

Oh man, this is awesome. I'm gonna watch all of them

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:20 pm

Death 999 wrote:In part 10, the Ilwrath. Charging the Ilwrath with your flagship? It has a short ranged weapon. Try to stay away?
I fault the game for this one, since that's Hayes's advice for dealing with them right after you bring back the lunar base remains.

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:24 pm

That's probably on the basis that if they're at point-blank range, they're going to be visible, so you can shoot them better. Shame it doesn't apply to the first one.