Ilwrath combat

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

sakalava47
Orz *camper*

Ilwrath combat

Post by sakalava47 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:13 pm

What is the best ship against computer ilwrath?

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Re: Ilwrath combat

Post by chenjesuwizard » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:58 pm

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:06 pm

That table is meant to apply to human players, not the AI. Because the AI much less intelligent than a human, there's plenty of tricks that work on the AI, but are not listed there. (It would not be helpful to list ZFP as a Kohr-Ah counter there, for instance, even though the AI is stupid enough for that to work.) With regard to Ilwrath in particular, either ZFP or Shofixti (when used properly) will take an AI-controlled Avenger down almost every time, but do not work nearly as well on humans.
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

sakalava47
Orz *camper*

Post by sakalava47 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:37 am

I saw a comment on a youtube playthrough of SC2 that if you kill 25 Ilwrath, they agree to be your ally or something. I didn't know this, so I tried to kill 25. They killed 2 Eluders and 3 Furies before I killed my second Ilwrath ship. Some of it is my lack of skill, but I wish there was a magic bullet so to speak. Maybe when I upgrade the flagship.

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:59 am

I think they meant Thraddash, not Ilwrath.
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

sakalava47
Orz *camper*

Post by sakalava47 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:28 am

Ah, you are probably right. I do remember that you can kill a certain number and gain their hero worship.

Niffiwan
Silly Supox

Post by Niffiwan » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:13 am

oldlaptop wrote:That table is meant to apply to human players, not the AI. Because the AI much less intelligent than a human, there's plenty of tricks that work on the AI, but are not listed there. (It would not be helpful to list ZFP as a Kohr-Ah counter there, for instance, even though the AI is stupid enough for that to work.) With regard to Ilwrath in particular, either ZFP or Shofixti (when used properly) will take an AI-controlled Avenger down almost every time, but do not work nearly as well on humans.
I'm surprised that Spathi is not listed there as a hard counter against the Kzer-Za and Kohr-Ah ships. That's what I always use against the AI and I barely get scratched. Is this one of those things that works against the AI but not against humans?
Member since March 14, 2003

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:01 pm

Niffiwan wrote: I'm surprised that Spathi is not listed there as a hard counter against the Kzer-Za and Kohr-Ah ships. That's what I always use against the AI and I barely get scratched. Is this one of those things that works against the AI but not against humans?
Precisely. Spathi only works on AI Ur-Quan/Kohr-Ah because the AI in general has a nasty habit of chasing Spathi. (The Kohr-Ah AI in particular is a very good example of how not to fly Kohr-Ah.) A human Ur-Quan or Kohr-Ah player will simply stay in one place, or orbit the planet.
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

Anthony
Hunam adventurer

Post by Anthony » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:32 am

I would use the Supox Blade. Their ability to fly backwards and move side-to-side to get around the Avenger's flamethrower helps a lot. I take advantage of the game's zooming feature to estimate their position when cloaked.
Check out my blog at http://starcontroller.com

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:27 pm

By the time you get Supox on your side, you had better have a lot of other answers for Ilwrath.