Page 2 of 6

Re: Star Control 1+2 plot holes

Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:06 pm
by Angelfish
ngnikolaos wrote:The Biggest Plot-Hole of all:

Each time you speak with an alien pilot (especially the hostile ones) and combat ensues, when you blow them up then speak with another pilot of the same race, he acts as if he was the same individual you spoke with before, even if you blew him up a few minutes ago. This is very obvious in cases like the Thraddash pilot ("No more history! Back to the subject of the probes!"), or the VUX (even though he refers to himself as "we" when he accepts the apology, speaking for his entire race).

I know that this is done for gameplay purposes, but it stalls the suspencion of disbelief.
That's because SC2 tried to cover too many bases by implementing 22 races. The game woud've just been as viable and fun with half that amount, but then the dialogue could be a bit more fleshed out to include different personalities etc ;).
If you want to play a game where this is done right, you should play mass effect once. There are about a dozen different races, but you can speak to multiple members of those races, all have different personalities and different lines of conversation to follow :).

Re: Star Control 1+2 plot holes

Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:34 pm
by sparkawk
ngnikolaos wrote:The Biggest Plot-Hole of all:

Each time you speak with an alien pilot (especially the hostile ones) and combat ensues, when you blow them up then speak with another pilot of the same race, he acts as if he was the same individual you spoke with before, even if you blew him up a few minutes ago. This is very obvious in cases like the Thraddash pilot ("No more history! Back to the subject of the probes!"), or the VUX (even though he refers to himself as "we" when he accepts the apology, speaking for his entire race).

I know that this is done for gameplay purposes, but it stalls the suspencion of disbelief.


They used cloning devices and computerized education in the future to populate the military. Everybody thinks and acts alike. Same thing was done in Star Wars. This would also explain the Shofixti dilemma.

Perhaps the creators were smarter than we imagined..... wooooooooh

Re: Star Control 1+2 plot holes

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:59 pm
by Draxas
ngnikolaos wrote:The Biggest Plot-Hole of all:

Each time you speak with an alien pilot (especially the hostile ones) and combat ensues, when you blow them up then speak with another pilot of the same race, he acts as if he was the same individual you spoke with before, even if you blew him up a few minutes ago. This is very obvious in cases like the Thraddash pilot ("No more history! Back to the subject of the probes!"), or the VUX (even though he refers to himself as "we" when he accepts the apology, speaking for his entire race).

I know that this is done for gameplay purposes, but it stalls the suspencion of disbelief.
All communicators in the SC universe suffer from the same glitch: you can never turn them off. On the plus side, this allows one ship captain to get vaporized, and the next to know exactly what was said so he can pick up the conversation right where it left off. On the minus, privacy is a sadly lost ideal. Fortunately, Precursor technology is much more advanced than that, and incorparates an "off" button.

Re: Star Control 1+2 plot holes

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:21 pm
by ngnikolaos
Draxas wrote:All communicators in the SC universe suffer from the same glitch: you can never turn them off. On the plus side, this allows one ship captain to get vaporized, and the next to know exactly what was said so he can pick up the conversation right where it left off. On the minus, privacy is a sadly lost ideal. Fortunately, Precursor technology is much more advanced than that, and incorparates an "off" button.
Dude, you're f*****g nuts. :lol:

Re: Star Control 1+2 plot holes

Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:20 pm
by Serosis
Draxas wrote: All communicators in the SC universe suffer from the same glitch: you can never turn them off. On the plus side, this allows one ship captain to get vaporized, and the next to know exactly what was said so he can pick up the conversation right where it left off. On the minus, privacy is a sadly lost ideal. Fortunately, Precursor technology is much more advanced than that, and incorparates an "off" button.
That is by far the best explanation :lol:

Oh here's a plot-hole for ya...

The Pkunk

How in the holy hell did nobody know about these guys?

Knew about the Mycon, Vux, Chenjesu, Mmrnmhrm, Yehat and the Ilwrath.
Just about in the same quadrant of space are the Pkunk, right there.

I understand how one could not know about the Zoq-Fot, Slylandro, Supox, Utwig, Thraddash and the Druuge
But the Pkunk are right there in our proverbial backyard, not to mention the Yehat would have
said or hinted at an "inferior" offshoot on accident.

Nobody decided to explore between SC1 and 2?

Re: Star Control 1+2 plot holes

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:03 am
by Angelfish
We didn't notice the pkunk because they were hiding in plain sight. Look outside. See those birds in the bushes?

Re: Star Control 1+2 plot holes

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:42 pm
by Death 999
We knew of someone living over there (they have a sphere on the map shipped with the game, right?); but because they were unarmed pacifists, the Chenjesu couldn't convince them to join, and figured it was best to hide their existence from the alliance instead of having the Allies go and try to convince them to join.

It was only when the Ilwrath came around that they armed even to the extent that they did.

Re: Star Control 1+2 plot holes

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:35 pm
by Angelfish
Death 999 wrote:We knew of someone living over there (they have a sphere on the map shipped with the game, right?); but because they were unarmed pacifists, the Chenjesu couldn't convince them to join, and figured it was best to hide their existence from the alliance instead of having the Allies go and try to convince them to join.

It was only when the Ilwrath came around that they armed even to the extent that they did.
If the pkunk had helped we'd have never lost the war against the ur-quan!

Re: Star Control 1+2 plot holes

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:15 pm
by Fossaman
Do we ever find out *when* exactly the Pkunk left the mainstream Yehat? It might even have been after the war.

Re: Star Control 1+2 plot holes

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:20 pm
by Serosis
Angelfish wrote:We didn't notice the pkunk because they were hiding in plain sight. Look outside. See those birds in the bushes?
Yes, I do see them in the bushes. I also see them in the trees, crapping on my car.
Death 999 wrote:We knew of someone living over there (they have a sphere on the map shipped with the game, right?); but because they were unarmed pacifists, the Chenjesu couldn't convince them to join, and figured it was best to hide their existence from the alliance instead of having the Allies go and try to convince them to join.

It was only when the Ilwrath came around that they armed even to the extent that they did.
That makes more sense then, "Oh, we didn't see you over there."