Star Control 1+2 plot holes

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

cymon
Hunam adventurer

Re: Star Control 1+2 plot holes

Post by cymon »

Here's a plot hole for you. You shoot a ship and the hull remains unharmed, the ship continues to function at full capability, but you lose a crew member or three. Not shields, not hull, crew. And a ship runs just as well with only 1 crew member (even if the captian picture clearly show 2 or more) as it does with a crew compliment. If those crew members were not strictly necessary then what are they doing on the ship? I'll tell you what they're doing. They're lining the hull to absorb the shots they're taking or ready to jump out the moment a Syreen call is heard, that's what they're doing.

Thing is, in the name of gameplay I'm willing to let this go.
Serosis
Hunam adventurer

Post by Serosis »

cymon wrote:Thing is, in the name of gameplay I'm willing to let this go.
That's the only reason that it is what it is.
Get The Ur-Quan Masters MegaMod HERE
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas »

Well, that and Star Trek style exploding consoles, presumably.
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish »

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear »

Hmmm, you got a good point Angelfish, what if instead the console exploded, the console just shot the nearby crew! Of course, if nobody was around {Or survived} to see or hear it, did the console really explode/kill them? :mrgreen:
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.
Smoke353
Turnip Farmer

Post by Smoke353 »

Fossaman wrote:Do we ever find out *when* exactly the Pkunk left the mainstream Yehat? It might even have been after the war.
I doubt the Yehat would have allowed the Pkunk to leave while allied with the Ur-Quan. Also, the Pkunk talk as if they have been around a long time.
Death 999 wrote:We knew of someone living over there (they have a sphere on the map shipped with the game, right?); but because they were unarmed pacifists, the Chenjesu couldn't convince them to join, and figured it was best to hide their existence from the alliance instead of having the Allies go and try to convince them to join.
This seems quite logical.
I was here.
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin »

cymon wrote:Here's a plot hole for you. You shoot a ship and the hull remains unharmed, the ship continues to function at full capability, but you lose a crew member or three. Not shields, not hull, crew. And a ship runs just as well with only 1 crew member (even if the captian picture clearly show 2 or more) as it does with a crew compliment. If those crew members were not strictly necessary then what are they doing on the ship? I'll tell you what they're doing. They're lining the hull to absorb the shots they're taking or ready to jump out the moment a Syreen call is heard, that's what they're doing.

Thing is, in the name of gameplay I'm willing to let this go.

Didn't you know? they are serving as hitpoints! (from same thread in another forum)

Angelfish:

I already imagine the job interview that Hayes had with the Ur-quan commander delegated to Sol.
"So... what did you do on board that scout?"
"Well.. not much. The ship pretty much only needs a captain to fly, and I just served as a hitpoint."
"A what?"
"A hitpoint. Meaning the shots from other ships would kill me first, and then the other 4 shofixti on the ship, and lastly, the captain upon which the ship would be destroyed."
"Ahh.. okay... well I guess being a hitpoint is sufficient experience to become starbase commander! You're hired!"
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish »

It's these topiques that make me sad that Zero Punctuation never reviewed Star Control 2 :D.
cymon
Hunam adventurer

Post by cymon »

Angelfish wrote:It's these topiques that make me sad that Zero Punctuation never reviewed Star Control 2 :D.
Lord, that would be classic.
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin »

Here is another something just occured to me - when you first meet Tanaka, he sais, among other things, "You killed my father, my mother.... in fact, MY ENTIRE SPECIES..."
Wasn't it the Shofixti themselves that did that?
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.