Which is your favourite SC race?

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Re: Which is your favourite SC race?

Post by Bleeding Star »

I just can't choose! So many of the races are excellent.

Both the Kzer-Za and Kohr-Ah make wonderful antagonists - the fact that you can feel some sort of sympathy for these monstrous creatures really shows how well written they are. I'd give a slight edge to the greens though, a little smarter and more sympathetic.

I'd also have to second the Spathi as the funniest race - plenty of great dialogue there.
Fossa says:
The Druuge win big points for being so sinister. But it's a soulless, greasy, corporate kind of sinister. Almost like real life!
And I totally agree with this. While they are an outrageously exaggerated caricature of extreme capitalists, given the recent financial shenanigans you've got to wonder if there are actually people like that out there right now.

Also, a special prize to the ORZ for being such a wonderful mix of fun, crazy and downright creepy.
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin »

Spathi
Just have to admire their brilliance, going from stone-age to space-flight in under a century!
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.
Guizot
Silly Supox

Post by Guizot »

Angelfish wrote:And least favourite: The Chmmr. Their presence in SC2 feels like a 'plot device' enabling you to win the game, nothing more.
What is wrong with a little deus ex machina?

I vote for the VUX. You can’t beat Victorian-esque hypocrites and the epitome of sexual deviants! And no, I am not one of those notorious “deviant schoolgirls”, I just found ZEX to be an infinitely amusing / disturbing character.
VenusRain
Hunam adventurer

Post by VenusRain »

Dead tie between the Yehat and the VUX.

The Yehat are just endlessly fascinating to me, I don't really know why, and as for the VUX... while it's not entirely because I'm a deviant schoolgirl, that does contribute to it. The rest is that I enjoy working out things like how their physiology works, and why they would have developed such a thing. Also, the mini-society implied by Alpha Cerenkov I's existance. What differences would there be when the VUX probably ship off all of their "deviants" there? /nerding
Wild DEVIANT SCHOOLGIRL appeared!

Fight|Poke
Bag |>Run
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas »

VenusRain wrote:Also, the mini-society implied by Alpha Cerenkov I's existance. What differences would there be when the VUX probably ship off all of their "deviants" there?
I can't imagine they would actually do such a thing. First of all, AC I is a private world owned by Admiral ZEX, and second, he was only granted the planet because he was the most (only?) successful VUX commander and completely indispensible to the war effort. He even admits that the VUX government only put up with his personal tastes and shennanigans because of his contributions, and gave him AC I to get him away from the public eye once the war was over. I doubt that he would consent to allowing the government to dump any "criminal deviants" they wanted to on his private planet (or maybe he would, feeding his menagerie is probably quite expensive, but that hardly counts as a society).

Odds are good that the VUX government treats the majority of xeno-lovers the same way they treat the actual xenos: they have them close their eye and count to 3.

Apologies for derailing this thread for a moment. If you want to discuss this further, feel free to start a new topic.
Pwiffi
Er, we mean

Post by Pwiffi »

I am Madly in love with the Spathi. They, as stated before, are very comical and chaotic all at once. I remember when I was first intorduced to Star Control, I met Fwiffo and instantly grew curious about his bottom side. Later at Spathiwa, I learned about how they're like a cross between a dravatz? and a mollusk. And THEN I discovered fan art! Any way that's off topic.

As for my least favorite race, I'm going to have to say the Utwig. They seemed... un-creative? It just seemed like the creators of SC ran out of ideas and made a complete race out of masks and cylindars for ships. The story with them and Druuge is a good one though.
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

Pwiffi wrote:I am Madly in love with the Spathi. They, as stated before, are very comical and chaotic all at once. I remember when I was first intorduced to Star Control, I met Fwiffo and instantly grew curious about his bottom side. Later at Spathiwa, I learned about how they're like a cross between a dravatz? and a mollusk. And THEN I discovered fan art! Any way that's off topic.
Hehe, the Spathi are inspired, no doubt about that.
Pwiffi
Er, we mean

Post by Pwiffi »

Yeah, I mean I've seen just about every alien the human mind could come up with and the Spathi are by far the best.
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin »

Even though my favorite Star Control species is also the Spathi, I have to disagree on them being the best alien invented.
They are described with only two characteristics, taken to extreme - technical brilliance (space flight achievement in under 100 years and minute amounts of time to secretly copy slaveshield technology without complete access to it) and cowardice (anyone needs an explanation?) .
One of their supposed inspirations, Larry Niven's Puppeteers are much more "complete" and better suited for the title, I think. I can't name the best overall candidate for the title as of right now, but there are plenty of highly composed contenders.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.
Alen
Hunam adventurer

Post by Alen »

Probably my favorite SC race would be the Slylandro. They were one of the more creative aliens, considering you could relate a great deal of the aliens to creatures found on earth. The Mycon were also pretty well done as well.