Fast-Paced Card Battle [Work in Progress]

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

DefenderDT
Hunam adventurer

Fast-Paced Card Battle [Work in Progress]

Post by DefenderDT »

I threw out the fact that I was working on a re-make of a very old game I had centered around the ships from Star Control. And to prove myself not a liar here's what I have so far.

It's not very much (still working in progress)

But I'd like to hear what you all think about it!

=====

Star Control - Lightning Card Melee

'Required Gear'
1 Deck of 'fleet cards'
1 - 2 6-sided dice
Random piece of scratch paper, or markers to count constitution.

Game Setup
Before playing, each player must settle on how many ships each side gets to pick (if each player gets more than one you may place the Shofixti Scout ship in the deck).

Each player draws the decided amount of ships from the deck and places them face-down in front of themselves.

Everyone picks a ship and places it in front of them, revealing it after everyone has done so.

Roll the die and add your ship's Speed, that player goes first, and play continues clockwise from them.

Playing the Game (Turn Flow)
Choose your Target
Decide which ship your ship will be attacking.
Attack Roll
Roll the die, if the result is equal to or greater than your target's speed it's a successful hit.
Damage Roll (Only if the Attack Roll was successful)
Roll the die. The result is the amount of damage dealt to the target hit.
End your turn
Pass play to the next player.

Play continues until only one player has a ship left in play!

Card Slug

Cards and their abilities

(Please keep in mind that these are tentative, but I still want your thoughts!)

Chmmr Avatar
Constitution - XXXXXX
Speed - 3
Innate Ability - While this ship has more than half it's Constituion, reduce all damage rolls by two (to a minimum of one).

Ilwrath Avenger
Constitution - XXXXX
Speed - 4
Innate Ability -

Supox Blade
Constitution - XXXX
Speed - 3
Innate Ability - You may reduce an attack roll by any amount to reduce your opponent's next attack roll by that much.

Chenjesu Broodhome
Constitution - XXXXX
Speed - 2
Innate Ability - You may skip your turn to reduce your opponent's attack roll by 1 for the next 3 turns.

Earthing Cruiser
Constitution - XXXX
Speed - 3
Innate Ability -

Ur-Quan Kzer-za Dreadnaught
Constitution - XXXXX
Speed - 2
Innate Ability - You may skip your turn to make three attack rolls next turn, if you hit with the 2nd or 3rd roll, you only deal 1 damage.

Umgah Drone
Constitution - XXX
Speed - 3
Innate Ability - You may skip your next turn to negate any attack dealt to you after the damage roll.

Spathi Eluder
Constitution - XXXX
Speed - 4
Innate Ability - If you miss your opponents ship with an attack roll, you may continue as if you had attacked successfully, the amount you roll on the damage dice is divided by 2, rounded down.

Pkunk Fury
Constitution - XXXX
Speed - 5
Innate Ability - When this ship is destroyed, roll the die, if you get a 5 or 6 restore all of this ship's constitution.

Androsynth Guardian
Constitution - XXX
Speed - 4
Innate Ability -

Vux Intruder
Constitution - XXXX
Speed - 2
Innate Ability - You may skip your turn to reduce all future attack rolls by your opponent by 1 (A 6 is always a hit). This effect is only triggered against the opponent's currently in-play ship.

Utwig Jugger
Constitution - XXXX
Speed - 3
Innate Ability - Roll a die after your opponent's damage roll, if it is a 6, negate that damage.

Ur-Quan Kor-ah Marauder
Constitution - XXXX
Speed - 3
Innate Ability - Once per game you may roll three attack rolls in one turn. You may not deal more than 9 damage in this turn.

Druuge Mauler
Constitution - XXXXXX
Speed - 2
Innate Ability - You may remove one constitution from this ship to negate any attack after the damage roll.

Orz Nemesis
Constitution - XXXX
Speed - 3
Innate Ability - You may remove on constitution from this ship to make an extra attack roll on all subsequent turns with this ship. If the extra attack rolls hit, you deal one damage.

Syreen Penetrator
Constitution - XXX
Speed - 2
Innate Abiliity - You may, instead of attacking, roll a die to remove a constitution from your opponent and add it to yours.

Mycon Podship
Constitution - XXXXXX
Speed - 2
Innate Ability - You may skip the next X turns (up to 2) to restore double that constitution to this ship.

Sylandro Probe
Constitution - XXX
Speed - 4
innate Abiliity - You may increase your attack roll by any amount after it is rolled, your opponent gains the same amount for their next attack roll.

Shofixti Scout (only multi-card matches)
Constitution - XXX
Speed - 4
Innate Ability - You may destroy this ship at any time to deal a die roll worth of damage to your opponent.

Arilou Lalee'lay Skiff
Constitution - XXX
Speed - 4
Innate Ability - You may reduce your opponent's attack roll by any amount after it is rolled, your next attack roll loses the same amount. (A 6 is always a hit.)

Zoq-Fot-Pik Stinger
Constitution -
Speed -
Innate Ability -

Yehat Terminator
Constitution -
Speed -
Innate Ability -

Thraddash Torch
Constitution -
Speed -
Innate Abiliity -

Melnorme Trader
Constitution -
Speed -
Innate Ability -

Mmrnmhrm X-Form
Constitution -
Speed -
Innate Ability -

===

Well, what does everyone think? Any criticizers are appreciated.
Last edited by DefenderDT on Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: Fast-Paced Card Battle [Work in Progress]

Post by Nuclear »

Seems like it could be pretty fun! Of course, the balance of the game sounds rather questionable, so lots of "beta testing" might be needed to make it fair. {Or maybe thats supposed to be how it goes, I'm not sure how "one-sided" card games can be..}
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas »

Yeah, you definitely need to do some balance work on those ships. Right now the Intruder is by far the best ship in the group thanks to its ability to cripple an opponent without using attack rolls; depending on interpretation, this effect carries over to all their ships as well, not just the current one. Clarity in wording is important! ;)-smf

Still, seems like a neat concept.
DefenderDT
Hunam adventurer

Post by DefenderDT »

Nuclear wrote:Seems like it could be pretty fun! Of course, the balance of the game sounds rather questionable, so lots of "beta testing" might be needed to make it fair. {Or maybe thats supposed to be how it goes, I'm not sure how "one-sided" card games can be..}
Yes, balance is the number one issue of a game, especially one like this.

I would be honoured if anyone wanted to pick it up and give it a shot, or even suggest..well anything for it!

Progress is slow when you're the only one working on something...
Draxas wrote:Yeah, you definitely need to do some balance work on those ships. Right now the Intruder is by far the best ship in the group thanks to its ability to cripple an opponent without using attack rolls; depending on interpretation, this effect carries over to all their ships as well, not just the current one. Clarity in wording is important! ;)-smf

Still, seems like a neat concept.
Ohhh, good idea! I'll edit it a bit right now... But my defense is that the Intruder is ridiculously easy to hit at first. If you miss on the first 5 turns, well you'd better hope your next ship can handle it in 5 turns as well.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
DefenderDT
Hunam adventurer

Post by DefenderDT »

Quick update (If double posting is bad I won't do it again, sorry)

I've changed the wording on the Intruder,

Updated the Podship (to make it less ridiculously weak),

And Added stats to Jugger.

I'd love to hear some more, and even some new thoughts!
Rigel
Hunam adventurer

Post by Rigel »

Interesting idea. So it sounds like each player would have just 1 ship in play at any time, is that right? Are the ships the only cards, and dice are required for everything else?

I love card games, like Magic or Yu-Gi-Oh. Reading your post had me thinking about an SC-theme CCG more in the style of existing card games. For some direct comparisons: ships may be like creatures; instead of spells you have technology upgrades; instead of using land/mana you have to balance over-all crew with individual ship crew and battery; etc...

You seem to be calling it a card game, but you don't appear to hold a hand of cards that you can play every "turn". Instead there is one card in play at a time for each player. Maybe there should be a board that goes with it that has different areas of space that you can occupy, maybe kind of like Risk?

I don't know, take what I say with a grain of salt here, I'm just throwing out my thoughts. I'd love to hear more about the mechanics of the game, I'm not sure I'm visualizing it properly.
Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod »

Man, I'm getting deja vu all over again...

It's kind of funny that you mention this actually, 'cause I was doing some work on a similar type of SC2 card game already, though I was keeping it a secret since I wasn't sure I was going to finish it or not. Not only that, but your new avatar looks A LOT like... something else that I'm keeping a secret for now...
Man, it's like you're my alter ego or something! O0-smf

Anyway, this sounds pretty cool. Keep it up!
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!
DefenderDT
Hunam adventurer

Post by DefenderDT »

Rigel wrote:Interesting idea. So it sounds like each player would have just 1 ship in play at any time, is that right? Are the ships the only cards, and dice are required for everything else?

I love card games, like Magic or Yu-Gi-Oh. Reading your post had me thinking about an SC-theme CCG more in the style of existing card games. For some direct comparisons: ships may be like creatures; instead of spells you have technology upgrades; instead of using land/mana you have to balance over-all crew with individual ship crew and battery; etc...

You seem to be calling it a card game, but you don't appear to hold a hand of cards that you can play every "turn". Instead there is one card in play at a time for each player. Maybe there should be a board that goes with it that has different areas of space that you can occupy, maybe kind of like Risk?

I don't know, take what I say with a grain of salt here, I'm just throwing out my thoughts. I'd love to hear more about the mechanics of the game, I'm not sure I'm visualizing it properly.

Rigel, you are seriously sawsome.

I have had a card game like that in the works underneath the 'SHMUPS' system. Imagine a game that is literally two games in one. With only the need to build one deck. Once I'm done with this one I'll gladly post a new thread with that. But everything you just listed? Well the SHMUPS system has it and more.

I originally built it around a setting of my own with 6 or so original alien races (sole inspiration being Star Control of course) but if I ever finished it I vowed that I would ask Paul and Fred if I could use their IP for a 2nd set. (or whatever set if it was an LCG)

As for mechanics...well it's pretty much word-for-word what I said

Each turn you 'attack' and that's pretty much it. Things get a bit more complex the more parties are involved but for the most part it's supposed to be simple/fast.
Dyandod wrote:Man, I'm getting deja vu all over again...

It's kind of funny that you mention this actually, 'cause I was doing some work on a similar type of SC2 card game already, though I was keeping it a secret since I wasn't sure I was going to finish it or not. Not only that, but your new avatar looks A LOT like... something else that I'm keeping a secret for now...
Man, it's like you're my alter ego or something! O0-smf

Anyway, this sounds pretty cool. Keep it up!
Well dod, I can't attest to being your alternate ego XP But I can say that we have... similar tastes?

Yours was probably a bit more complex, I'd love to trade notes with you sometime, see if we can't see your ideas come to reality.

I abso-lutely hate wasting ideas, even dumb ones are good when given life and context.

And no XP I highly doubt you have Aeonman as any sort of project.. But again, I dunno what you know, so there....
Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod »

DefenderDT wrote: Well dod, I can't attest to being your alternate ego XP But I can say that we have... similar tastes?

Yours was probably a bit more complex, I'd love to trade notes with you sometime, see if we can't see your ideas come to reality.

I abso-lutely hate wasting ideas, even dumb ones are good when given life and context.
Yeah, mine's definitely more complex.... probably too complex for it's own good, actually.

Anyway, we can trade notes now! I'll send you a PM.
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!
DefenderDT
Hunam adventurer

Post by DefenderDT »

Dyandod wrote:
Yeah, mine's definitely more complex.... probably too complex for it's own good, actually.

Anyway, we can trade notes now! I'll send you a PM.

Yeah, I have never been a fan of overcomplextity for complexity's sake..