Fast-Paced Card Battle [Work in Progress]

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: Fast-Paced Card Battle [Work in Progress]

Post by Dyandod »

DefenderDT wrote: Yeah, I have never been a fan of overcomplextity for complexity's sake..
It's not really complexity for complexity's sake, I think. More like I get an idea for a game and then I get twenty more and now everything's out of control.
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!
DefenderDT
Hunam adventurer

Post by DefenderDT »

Dyandod wrote:
It's not really complexity for complexity's sake, I think. More like I get an idea for a game and then I get twenty more and now everything's out of control.

Hmmm, I suppose I can understand that. I've always just broken it into another game alltogether though. I really want to throw up 5-Dice and the SHMUPS systems so you can look at those too... Maybe another night, when I'm not tired as all get out.

I actually at one point in time had an idea for a tactical rpg that involved series of placing terrain tokens, and cards, and dice, and even rules for inadvertently burning 3 different types of grass tokens at 3 different rolls. So I know how it feels for 'overcomplification' XP
DefenderDT
Hunam adventurer

Post by DefenderDT »

Update!

I added/changed the values/abilities of the following ships

Skiff
Probe
Nemesis
Eluder

I also put up a base Slug. Since this game is less about seeing a myriad of stats and abilities, it's more or less a basic empty slug. the black background would be replaced with a picture entirely, the text being over it. (Picture not currently included)

Also need suggestions for border colours! I can't exactly use black, unless that's what you guys think is a good idea...

Also also please throw some ideas my way if you have any thoughts/criticizims! I'm open to /any/ type of critique.
Rigel
Hunam adventurer

Post by Rigel »

Yeah I'll give you a recommendation based on my experience playing Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic: Implement a design that prevent a player from putting any card they want in their deck.

For example, in YGO, there were a set of cards known as "staples" in which almost EVERY deck would use. If you did not use these cards, and your opponents did, your deck was at a major disadvantage. These cards did not fit within a theme at all, they were just cards that you always wanted because they were so powerful (rigeki, jinzo, mst, etc). On top of that, there were nearly 20 staple cards, so almost everyones deck had an identical 20 cards, which was half the minimum cards (40-card minimum in the deck).

Magic got it right, by having 5 colors, and requiring that you have the appropriate colored mana to play those cards, you couldn't put a powerful card from green into your blue and red deck unless you also put in green mana. And by either taking out blue and red to add green, or adding green on top of your deck amount you potentially reduced the effectiveness of the deck. Now, to be fair, in magic there were certainly cards for a given color that you would want to use whenever using that color, but there were often alternatives as well which would fit better into a theme (themes being like, direct damage, trample creatures, things like that).

A potential example for your game is that there are different alliances of races, so you can't have a deck that has ships from earthlings and from the ur-quan. Or if you have technology upgrades, they may not be compatible with all types of ships.