How do I play Star Control 2 for Wii?

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Comstar
ZEXy Beast

How do I play Star Control 2 for Wii?

Post by Comstar » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:53 pm

Hello,

I understand that I can play Star Control 2 for Wii.
I am very new to this Wii thingy, quite a dummy.
I have some questions:
1.If I install it am I rendering my Wii useless for Nintendo support in other games/console features?
2.If not useless, how do I install it in my Wii console? Please, instructions for dummies.

Thank you.

Sage
Wise and Ancient Soul

Re: How do I play Star Control 2 for Wii?

Post by Sage » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:41 am

I don't have a Wii myself, but I did once look at installing this to a Wii. As I understand it, the game gets added to a Homebrew Channel that you select from the main menu (or something like that, it's been a while now so I might be remembering something else). You can find info related to it on the Ultronomicon here.

Comstar
ZEXy Beast

Post by Comstar » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:05 pm

There is no Homebrew channel in my Wii.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:22 pm

Suffice to say, the Homebrew channel is just that: homebrewed, and hence not supported by Nintendo. While my knowledge of homebrewing for the Wii is very limited, I'm fairly certain you have to trick the OS into letting you install and run homebrew stuff at all, and Nintendo has been attempting to put a stop to that with every system update (though so far, backdoors have been found for each one). So yes, there is a chance you could brick your Wii, and no, Nintendo does not support homebrew programs nor did they create a channel for running them.

Sage
Wise and Ancient Soul

Post by Sage » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:32 pm

Like I said, I might be remembering the Homebrew channel from some other application we had installed. I was doing this on a friend's Wii, only once, a couple of years ago, so forgive me if I said something incorrect. If you pay attention to any part of my previous post, let it be the link that contains information created by someone who knows and has tested it. :)

Comstar
ZEXy Beast

Post by Comstar » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:14 pm

Could Homebrew screw the Wii somehow?
If that's it I still can play UQM on my PC.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:02 pm

Being an unliscensed and non-Nintendo-approved item, there is a chance that homebrew can cause problems. I don't know details, however, so I'd suggest doing some homework before you get into the homebrew scene; I personally don't feel it's worth the risk (and using my keyboard makes me all nostalgic).

hansolo0
Hunam adventurer

Post by hansolo0 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:10 am

On a related topic I just read in a gaming magazine that wii had big hopes of indie programers releasing tons of games for the wii and generating big sales, but that the clunky/unfriendly interface was causing big problems and that people weren't buying/downloading because of it. :evil: