[WIP] Star Control 1 remake

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Re: [WIP] Star Control remake

Post by Angelfish » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:21 pm

Lukipela wrote:Does this mean I could use a TAC-2 assuming I actually managed to connect it to a port? If so, awesome!
Well, you can connect it to one of your serial ports on older PC's, but unfortunately the different workings of a serial port and the amiga joystick port make it impossible to make it work.

But take a look here, perhaps it may help you find the correct converters. I assume you do have a gameport?
http://www.coralnet.de/retroconnection/

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Post by Dragon » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:04 am

Yep, you could wire up a TAC-2, I've connected a couple of Competition Pro joysticks to my parallel port. They're from my C64 but use the Atari 2600 port connector also. Unfortunately Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom*, consider port read/writes to be a security risk so there's no more application level support for serial ports, gameports or parallel ports as of Windows 2000.

You can use the PPJoy driver because it's written at the kernel level and can still access those ports; but as of Windows 7 you have to pay for that privilege and the author can't afford it. I'm quite upset about that :(.

*Just in case you missed it, that was sarcasm. I think Microsoft were fucking stupid to disable port access - it was an excellent and simple way to learn electronics and wasn't a security risk.

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Post by Dragon » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:18 am

Double post again but I meant to add (after reading http://www.coralnet.de/retroconnection/ Don't use a creative sound card with a game port. Just don't.

I don't want to go off on another rant and I don't have the time. Suffice to say that I hate Creative more than you can possibly imagine. Rather buy any other cheapo PCI sound card with a game port or better yet buy a game port to USB adapter - they work wonderfully.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:57 am

All corporation bashing aside...
Hey, just noticed that the previous title used to include 'that may actually get finished'...
Why was it omitted now?

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Post by Dragon » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:57 am

No significant reason. When cymon created the original thread he named it one way; when I recreated it I named it another. Incidentally: [WIP] - Work in Progress, hopefully one day it will change to [Completed] 8-)

Zeracles
Pootworm

Re: [WIP] Star Control * remake

Post by Zeracles » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:17 am

Angelfish wrote:Hey, just noticed that the previous title used to include 'that may actually get finished'...
Why was it omitted now?
Hey, just noticed that the previous title used to include 'A star control 1' . . .
Why was it omitted now? ;)
Last edited by Zeracles on Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Post by Dragon » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:03 am

Zeracles wrote:
Angelfish wrote:Hey, just noticed that the previous title used to include 'that may actually get finished'...
Why was it omitted now?
Hey, just noticed that the previous title used to include 'A star control 1' . . .
Why was it omitted now? ;)
Eh, wut? It's there...

Now if I could just edit every other post I might get away with it.

Zeracles
Pootworm

Re: [WIP] Star Control * remake

Post by Zeracles » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:34 am

Hey, why not admit the real reason things are behind? :mrgreen:

Copy the subject in my posts!
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Re: [WIP] Star Control 1 remake

Post by Dragon » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:01 am

So I'll rename the thread to '*' then shall I? :D

Sage
Wise and Ancient Soul

Re: [WIP] Star Control 1 remake

Post by Sage » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:08 pm

Just getting online again after the house move, so apologies for being behind a bit, but I had to comment on the controller sub-topic.

I am one of those freaks who use PlayStation controllers on my PC. Well, PS2, but the point still holds. Why? Two main reasons. PS controllers have a layout that is very similar to SNES controllers, which I have long held as a golden standard of controller design (yes, I'm old fashioned). The second reason is, at the time I was in the market to get an adapter to use console controllers, most of the people I knew had PS2s, so if I knew one of them was coming around and I required extra controllers for whatever multiplayer madness we were doing, they could just bring theirs.

As for why I would not be using X-Box controllers, funnier men than me have touched on this topic. Twice.

As an aside, I recently checked out a PS2 emulator that wasn't working so great a year ago, and have been playing Final Fantasy 10 for the first time on it. It's been handling quite marvelously. It occurred to me that now I am playing actual PS2 games with an actual PS2 controller without any PS2 hardware in between.