[WIP] Star Control 1 remake

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Re: [WIP] Star Control 1 remake

Post by Angelfish » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:31 pm

The 'old' x-box controllers are indeed horrible for people wit small hands.
But the new 360 ones are really great, more ergonomical than the PS2 ones atleast, and some games or apps can be even run with just one hand ;).

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Post by Dragon » Mon May 10, 2010 3:52 pm

Been a bit quiet recently on account of the unfortunate and unscheduled intrusion of RealLifeTM. Practically this means I haven't touched a C++ compiler since my last post but things seem to be picking up again. It didn't help that my computer lunched itself and I just didn't have the energy re-install and restore backups etc...

Anyway, everything is back how it was and normal operations have resumed.

also I'm bored which is usually a very good driving force

Zeracles
Pootworm

Re: [WIP] Star Control * remake

Post by Zeracles » Tue May 11, 2010 8:20 am

I still haven't converted any of those starmap things (and probably won't get to it any time soon), but I was fishing for resources on another project and came across some kind of translator that's meant to convert octave (matlab's clone) code to C++. But I'm still inclined to do it manually if no-one else does it first.
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Tue May 11, 2010 6:24 pm

Dragon wrote:also I'm bored which is usually a very good driving force
Your boredom is our blessing.

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Post by Dragon » Wed May 12, 2010 8:07 am

Lukipela wrote:Your boredom is our blessing.
:D Things are under way again - that is to say I redesigned something and happily broke a bunch of code last night. Good times, good times.
Zeracles wrote:I still haven't converted any of those starmap things (and probably won't get to it any time soon), but I was fishing for resources on another project and came across some kind of translator that's meant to convert octave (matlab's clone) code to C++. But I'm still inclined to do it manually if no-one else does it first.
Octave looks interesting. I'm going to try and mash your source files through the octave compiler today sometime. It does generate some pretty obscure code though because:
for n = 1:1000
becomes
for ( d_0 = 0 ; (d_0 < floor((((1000 - 1) + 1) / 1))) ; d_0++ )
whereas it should have become
for (d = 0; d < 1000; d++)
the compiler should have realised that 1000 is a literal integer but it's still treating it as if it were a variable that could have been a real number.

I tried using octave proper but I'm running what I think is version 3 beta on an old version of Ubuntu - when I try and plot something it throws exceptions all over the place :?

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Post by Dragon » Wed May 12, 2010 3:46 pm

Double post but...

Octave seems to be pretty current but unfortunately Octave2c sounds like it's dead in the water (and has been since 2005*). I can't find a compiled version of the compiler and even the subversion repository is gone so I can't compile it myself. :(

*So not so much dead in the water as sunk and been eaten by the fishes.

Zeracles
Pootworm

Post by Zeracles » Thu May 13, 2010 7:00 am

This is just a quick note for now, but I haven't tested those things in octave (I'll try it tomorrow) . . . one thing I'm aware of is that octave 2.1 doesn't have the transpose function, instead transpose(a) is a'
Dragon wrote:Octave looks interesting.
Yeah, I was going to update my personal matlab licence when version 8 comes out, but maybe I'll support octave instead.
Dragon wrote:It does generate some pretty obscure code though
Not knowing how efficient it would be is why I was still going to convert manually, but spare time is a bit scarce for me for the next few weeks at least.
Dragon wrote:Octave seems to be pretty current but unfortunately Octave2c sounds like it's dead in the water (and has been since 2005*).
This stuff might be better, but I haven't tried it.

Also, a few minutes of foraging found me a converter for another matlab clone, scilab, which I've never used and have no idea how close it is to matlab.

Zeracles
Pootworm

Re: [WIP] Star Control * remake

Post by Zeracles » Sun May 16, 2010 9:40 am

Dragon wrote::D Things are under way again - that is to say I redesigned something and happily broke a bunch of code last night. Good times, good times.
That's what dragons do, wreak havoc :twisted:

I've now got the structured points and MST/Pseudo-DT to work in octave, here and here. Didn't have to change much, just transpose(a) -> a' , b=nonzeros(a) -> b=a(find(a>0))*. Also commented out plotting stuff. Octave might be slower than matlab for some reason, I don't remember anything taking half an hour when I last touched this stuff :-\-smf. Anyway, at the very least you'll be able to see exactly what's going on in these scripts.

Tested the octave pseudo Delaunay Tessellation on the SC2 starmap** . . . if you're an ugly alien bent on galactic domination, pay no attention to the red plus sign ;)-smf
The structure makes the map a lot more interesting (at least, I assume so, with my limited knowledge of SC1 game dynamics) than the previous demo I had up, which had a random point set. Anyway, could be an interesting one to include if some artist adds models for SC2 ships . . .

*They were never negative in the one instance
**For any who are wondering, SC2 star positions can be found here; I chanced across them during a discussion with Cedric.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Sun May 16, 2010 2:23 pm

That map would be great for a long multiplayer game :).

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Post by Dragon » Mon May 17, 2010 11:30 am

I took a look at the Octave External stuffs. Unfortunately that is used to run the octave interpreter from within another C program (or fortan or whatever), it doesn't actually convert octave to C :(

Scilab I could at least get to plot stuff but there is no compiled version of Scilab2C and I think there's a source dependency on the hArte project but I haven't been brave enough to find out for reals...

Regardless of the language (octave/matlab/scilab) what I actually need to do is just sit down and understand your source completely and then rewrite it in C++ myself. I can use libraries and optimisations it's unlikely a code converter would be able to.

ps: I like how the SC2 maps stars have been connected.
pps: <pedantic>wouldn't !=0 be safer than >0. Just in case</pedantic>