Project 6014 - UQM mod

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Re: Project 6014 - UQM mod

Post by Eth » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:24 pm

Jesus. How long did it take to render all that refraction and reflection?

archimage_a
Er, we mean

Post by archimage_a » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:10 pm

Err, to make? 20 minutes, its just 12 cylinders, 6 boxes, 14 spheres, 6 which had lights in...an hour to render though...just pointed the camara at the corner and let that which is more capable(the computer) take over. 8-)

Quinarbre
Orz *camper*

Post by Quinarbre » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:22 pm

Ooooh, glowing bits all over the place !

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:27 pm

For the earthling and syreen comm screens, why don't you use hayes' and talana's with a different background, perhaps doing a quick edit on their hair, clothes or body color to make them look different. Shouldn't be too hard if you're familiar with the format that was used. If that's what's holding you back from making a demo ;). Because once you release such a demo people will go awwwww cooool and your project may gain some momentum from artists willing to do actual new comm screens ;)

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:57 am

archimage_a wrote:Err, to make? 20 minutes, its just 12 cylinders, 6 boxes, 14 spheres, 6 which had lights in...an hour to render though...just pointed the camara at the corner and let that which is more capable(the computer) take over. 8-)
Yeah, that's what I meant: the render. The geometry is obviously quite simple.

Quinarbre
Orz *camper*

Post by Quinarbre » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:42 pm

Angelfish wrote:For the earthling and syreen comm screens, why don't you use hayes' and talana's with a different background, perhaps doing a quick edit on their hair, clothes or body color to make them look different. Shouldn't be too hard if you're familiar with the format that was used. If that's what's holding you back from making a demo ;). Because once you release such a demo people will go awwwww cooool and your project may gain some momentum from artists willing to do actual new comm screens ;)
The point of doing new screens is precisely to get rid of Hayes and Talana. But you're quite right, editing existing material is one option we considered, it's just that even that takes time for the artisticly unskilled.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:20 pm

Quinarbre wrote:
Angelfish wrote:For the earthling and syreen comm screens, why don't you use hayes' and talana's with a different background, perhaps doing a quick edit on their hair, clothes or body color to make them look different. Shouldn't be too hard if you're familiar with the format that was used. If that's what's holding you back from making a demo ;). Because once you release such a demo people will go awwwww cooool and your project may gain some momentum from artists willing to do actual new comm screens ;)
The point of doing new screens is precisely to get rid of Hayes and Talana. But you're quite right, editing existing material is one option we considered, it's just that even that takes time for the artisticly unskilled.
You've considered it... So are you gonna do it or not?

Scott Irving
Site Admin

Post by Scott Irving » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:53 am

I am working on the earthling one right now (as per my WIP on the previous post... Hayes is only a stand in.)
Site Admin and General Techie person. Also I'm batman.

Cedric6014
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Cedric6014 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:38 am

Scott Irving wrote:I am working on the earthling one right now (as per my WIP on the previous post... Hayes is only a stand in.)
Exciting! Are you all excited? You should be. Let’s hear the noise of excitement people!

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:50 am

Cedric6014 wrote:Exciting! Are you all excited? You should be. Let’s hear the noise of excitement people!
If I had a noise maker, I would blow into it unenthusiastically right now. Either way, looking forward to a nice captains portrait Scott.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.