Project 6014 - UQM mod

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Re: Project 6014 - UQM mod

Post by dczanik » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:55 pm

I thought I'd give you guys an update....
We're working on an update. Not giving an exact date, but we're hoping for next week. No promises though.
So what's new, what's in, and what's out...

What's new in Demo 0.2.1?
Well for starters, take a look... and old vs. new comparison (new is at the bottom):

What's in:
New Fonts.
Bigger Stars.
Bigger orbit lines.
New Nebula graphics.
Misc. graphical fixes.
Bug fixes galore...
Major improvements to the Baul ship and Foon-Foon Typhoon.
Misc. Tweaks and changes...

What's out:
Not that it was ever planned to be in the demo ... These are definitely NOT going into the demo (or the full game). So, they're out.

If you guys view my site: dczanik.deviantart.com, you may notice that I have been experimenting with some UI changes to get rid of that "Windows 95" look...
http://dczanik.deviantart.com/journal/U ... -278911780

Unfortunately, these didn't make the grade. So I call them my FAIL mockups.

Well, these are NOT going to be in the demo update. No major UI updates will be in the demo... BUT, I'm confident that we'll see some UI improvements when the full game comes out.
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014
My new portfolio site! and my DeviantArt!

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:41 am

Is every star system is now in a blue-hot nebula, or just some of them?

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:46 am

Just some of them...
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:15 pm

That's certainly an improvement!
One thing I wanted to mention: Those avatars are orbiting the planet, right? Why waste fuel on rotating themselves towards the direction that they're moving? It looks ridiculous, especially with the 16 rotation angles on higher resolutions. If you're going to keep those angles, it's best to have the ships just stay in their upright position like with most ships in the original.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:16 pm

Their orbital speed could be slowed to what a moon would be doing (since that code was added)

Quinarbre
Orz *camper*

Post by Quinarbre » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:15 pm

Who said they were in true orbit, by the way ? If they want to circle fast around the planet at a large distance, rotating and thrusting would be inavoidable. But it does look dumb with only 16 angles, I'll concede you that.

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:38 am

I definitely think it would look cool with more angles- I'd rather see them turning than not.
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:18 am

Quinarbre wrote:Who said they were in true orbit, by the way ? If they want to circle fast around the planet at a large distance, rotating and thrusting would be inavoidable. But it does look dumb with only 16 angles, I'll concede you that.
That's just what I assumed after years of playing Star Control 2.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:23 am

Quinarbre wrote:Who said they were in true orbit, by the way ? If they want to circle fast around the planet at a large distance...
that's the issue, isn't it?

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:08 pm

Angelfish wrote:Those avatars are orbiting the planet, right? Why waste fuel on rotating themselves towards the direction that they're moving? It looks ridiculous, especially with the 16 rotation angles on higher resolutions. If you're going to keep those angles, it's best to have the ships just stay in their upright position like with most ships in the original.
:ugeek:

I find it humorous (and puzzling) that we're debating on why orbiting a planet by turning slightly is unrealistic... but the fact the ships are five times the size of the planet they're orbiting is perfectly acceptable. ::)-smf
- Damon Czanik