Project 6014 - UQM mod

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: Project 6014 - UQM mod

Post by Dyandod » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:29 pm

dczanik wrote:
Angelfish wrote:Those avatars are orbiting the planet, right? Why waste fuel on rotating themselves towards the direction that they're moving? It looks ridiculous, especially with the 16 rotation angles on higher resolutions. If you're going to keep those angles, it's best to have the ships just stay in their upright position like with most ships in the original.
:ugeek:

I find it humorous (and puzzling) that we're debating on why orbiting a planet by turning slightly is unrealistic... but the fact the ships are five times the size of the planet they're orbiting is perfectly acceptable. ::)-smf
That's because the ships are closer to us, and things that are closer appear bigger!

By the way, dczanik, did you change your avatar? The eyes look a bit different.
Or maybe it's just me, I don't know.
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:24 pm

dczanik wrote:
Angelfish wrote:Those avatars are orbiting the planet, right? Why waste fuel on rotating themselves towards the direction that they're moving? It looks ridiculous, especially with the 16 rotation angles on higher resolutions. If you're going to keep those angles, it's best to have the ships just stay in their upright position like with most ships in the original.
:ugeek:

I find it humorous (and puzzling) that we're debating on why orbiting a planet by turning slightly is unrealistic... but the fact the ships are five times the size of the planet they're orbiting is perfectly acceptable. ::)-smf
I didn't say it was unrealistic, I just said it looks ridiculous. Ie. someone new to the Star Control universe looking at it and thinking "WTF is this shit" and going on to another game.

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:40 pm

Angelfish wrote:I didn't say it was unrealistic, I just said it looks ridiculous. Ie. someone new to the Star Control universe looking at it and thinking "WTF is this shit" and going on to another game.
I think most people who play P6014 is already familiar with Star Control. Which is a shame, really.
Not that I disagree with you or anything, I'm just saying...
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:24 am

It's a good rule of thumb to never take me seriously :P

Angelfish. I didn't mean anything by it. I was just joking with you. Sorry if I offended. I understand where you are coming from. I agree with the 16 angles thing too. I rather like the rotating around the planets though. In low resolution, I always thought the shofixti was like a floating snowcone. Looked weird.

What we need is more angles...but our programmers aren't epic enough to figure it out :P (Kidding! Kidding!).
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014
My new portfolio site! and my DeviantArt!

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:17 am

dczanik wrote: I find it humorous (and puzzling) that we're debating on why orbiting a planet by turning slightly is unrealistic... but the fact the ships are five times the size of the planet they're orbiting is perfectly acceptable. ::)-smf
Never underestimate a star control fans ability to debate certain physical laws to the death while completely ignoring others. :)

Megagun
Salesman

Post by Megagun » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:09 am

It's common for games set in space to not use proper physics at all. Star Control doesn't have proper spaceship physics. Most games have drag applied to them. Furthermore, ships facing in the direction they're travelling is another thing that's massively common on space games. As such, having ships pointed "north" like in SC2 is a worse idea than having them pointing towards the direction of travel.

Furthermore, as Star Control space warfare is rather stupid anyways (non-aimable lasers? No massive use of long-range missiles?) ships pointing in the direction of travel can sort-of make sense, as they'll want to point their weapons at their center of attention so that they can properly fire their weapons. Although, really, they should probably want to point their ships towards potential hostile enemy ships (the player's ship).

That said, there are some unwritten rules/guidelines in game design which go something like this: "game design over realism" and "clarity over function". So screw realism; let's make it easier for people to understand where exactly these enemy ships are travelling. I do agree, though, that it looks kind of silly with 16 frames on some ships (Earthling Cruiser, especially). 32 frames or 64 frames would probably be better and less jarring.

See recent popular games, like SPAZ and Starfarer, for how they do their physics and spaceships. They've been inspired by Star Control, according to their creators.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:45 pm

As far as size is concerned, I figure it's just an iconic representation on your ship's display. Making you identify a task force by a sub-pixel representation is horrible UI.

fizjak
Hunam adventurer

Post by fizjak » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:02 pm

Hey, I've been playing 6014 for a few days now and I think its great... but, just today I decided I'd try some of the Super Melee and wow was I surprised at the details. I really like the new ship captains they look nice, Spathi and Yehat in particular, those look great. I hadn't really done much combat in the story mode so it was like the 2nd time I'd done melee since I started playing it, and I think before when I did play it I really didnt look at the side panel to see the new captains and stuff. Well done, I hope to see more from you guys its a great demo!

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:32 pm

fizjak wrote:Hey, I've been playing 6014 for a few days now and I think its great... but, just today I decided I'd try some of the Super Melee and wow was I surprised at the details. I really like the new ship captains they look nice, Spathi and Yehat in particular, those look great. I hadn't really done much combat in the story mode so it was like the 2nd time I'd done melee since I started playing it, and I think before when I did play it I really didnt look at the side panel to see the new captains and stuff. Well done, I hope to see more from you guys its a great demo!
Ah. That was a source of great debate for us. Some wanted the old stuff just with enhanced resolutions. But others like myself wanted the characters to fit more with the comm screens. Because of this, characters like the Yehat and Mycon were changed. I'd say at least 2/3rds were done by King Kwayne. I love his Spathi. Thanks for the comment!
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014
My new portfolio site! and my DeviantArt!

spearmaniac
ZEXy Beast

Post by spearmaniac » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:33 pm

Huge Starcon fan here, played it many years ago and was very happy to see the UQM port. I just discovered this project and downloaded it immediately. Thank you so much for making this! I do have one technical question. The game runs in a tiny window on my screen, far too small for my aging eyes (maybe mom was right about staring at the screen). I set it to run in 640x480 but it is still very small, and I can't get it to go fullscreen. Any suggestions? Running Windows 7 on a cheap acer laptop

Thanks in advance!