Net Melee Balance Mod ported to UQM 0.7

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: Net Melee Balance Mod ported to UQM 0.7

Post by Dyandod » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:33 pm

Draxas wrote:Most folks agree that these values in particular were in dire need of serious adjustment (as well as the Ur-Quan, but that got up-powered instead).
That's what I'm saying- I think the actual ships should've been changed a bit more, rather than (just) their point values.
Gekko wrote:Arilou
Yeah, the Arilou was very overpowered in vanilla. I think youu went just a little too far though in terms of toning down the advantage.
Gekko wrote:There were two reasons. As was already said, the prices were off initially (there is also a mod which simply modifies most of the prices) and Shiver wanted to have all ships with prices divisable by two. The latter change makes it easier to get your fleet value exactly to 200 points.
Huh- I don't really see the point in that latter change, but OK.

Also, when I'm selecting my ships for battle, there doesn't seem to be any way to delete a ship? You can replace it with a different ship, but not remove it.
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:36 pm

Also, is there any way to pause melee mode?
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:54 pm

Dyandod wrote: I'm using v0.7.0 UQM + v2.06 "Shiver's Improved NetMelee Mod"
Ah, sorry, I can confirm that bug happens for me after all. Thanks again for reporting.
Dyandod wrote: That's what I'm saying- I think the actual ships should've been changed a bit more, rather than (just) their point values.
The point is that those point values were *wrong* in netmelee, but sometimes the ships themselves would be less fun if we made them fit vanilla prices. As an example, Mycon was perfectly fun the way it was, and everyone liked it - the problem was that it was priced about 7pt too high.
Dyandod wrote: Yeah, the Arilou was very overpowered in vanilla. I think youu went just a little too far though in terms of toning down the advantage.
I wouldn't call Arilou overpowered in vanilla, it was probably underpowered at its price if anything. The real problem was that the ship's design ended up making it necessary to use incredibly boring and annoying tactics to *do* anything (teleport spamming - simply mashing special until you ended up where you wanted to be).
Dyandod wrote: Huh- I don't really see the point in that latter change, but OK.
Typically in netmelee we use fleets of 200 (less commonly 100 or 150) points. In vanilla it is irritatingly hard to make a fleet of an even 200 - as opposed to 199 or 201. :)
Dyandod wrote: Also, when I'm selecting my ships for battle, there doesn't seem to be any way to delete a ship? You can replace it with a different ship, but not remove it.
The Delete key should work (0.7 vanilla also should behave the same way).
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

Shiver
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Shiver » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:08 am

Dyandod wrote:Also, is there any way to pause melee mode?
F1 on Windows.

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Gekko » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:59 am

Shiver's Improved Netmelee Mod 2.07 has been released.

Downloads at Ultronomicon: Click. You can also follow the modding at Github. New: Debian and Ubuntu users can now download .debs instead of compiling the source.

- Fix a bug with Pkunk causing early game ending due to a change made in the retreat mod. This also affected games which had retreat disabled.

This is a bug fix release to patch a nasty problem introduced with the retreat mod. Oldlaptop worked hard figuring this one out, and from now on the games won't end early if you have a Pkunk in your fleet and respawn a few times.
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Gekko » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:14 pm

Version 2.08 released.

Oldlaptop did all the work for this update!

Download at Ultronomicon.

Bug fix:
* Fix issue 31: The rectangles used for signifying your own ship in mirror matches no longer appear in non-mirror matches after certain events have happened.

Enhancement:
* Vux limpets are now different colour to separate them from floating crew. It was at times hard to see the difference between Vux limpets and floating crew in Vux vs. Syreen matches.

New features:
* When a game ends and the winning / losing fleets are displayed, the game now tells you two values of points left: Standard point value based on simple ship worth, and a fixed value that calculates the ship value after crew loss has been accounted for. A Kohr-Ah with 1 crew left is not worth 30 points.
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod

Shiver
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Shiver » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:53 am

Let's see what you guys did...
Gekko wrote:Bug fix:
* Fix issue 31: The rectangles used for signifying your own ship in mirror matches no longer appear in non-mirror matches after certain events have happened.
You mean reticles. :P-smf

Gekko wrote:Enhancement:
* Vux limpets are now different colour to separate them from floating crew. It was at times hard to see the difference between Vux limpets and floating crew in Vux vs. Syreen matches.
That doesn't sound like something the game needs and my first impulse was to argue that the color should be reverted, but after a quick check in-game I think that turquoise is a good choice. It looks good, and it's not too different from before.

Gekko wrote:New features:
* When a game ends and the winning / losing fleets are displayed, the game now tells you two values of points left: Standard point value based on simple ship worth, and a fixed value that calculates the ship value after crew loss has been accounted for. A Kohr-Ah with 1 crew left is not worth 30 points.
A harmless feature, but I wouldn't use that alternate scoring system for a game or tournament. Consider that your 1 crew Kohr-Ah Marauder is still an expensive battleship which can be repaired and sent back into war again.

Rapajez
ZEXy Beast

Post by Rapajez » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:24 am

A harmless feature, but I wouldn't use that alternate scoring system for a game or tournament. Consider that your 1 crew Kohr-Ah Marauder is still an expensive battleship which can be repaired and sent back into war again.
True. In game you could scrap a ship, and earn a lot more than the last crew member was worth.

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:44 am

The main thing I was concerned about with that was giving a better idea of how the game actually turned out - a game won by a 1-crew Kohr-Ah is still almost always a *very* close call. It's not really an assessment of the fleet's value, but an assessment of how close the game was (or wasn't). We still have the normal fleet costs for measuring remaining value, and I would envision both numbers being recorded in tournaments and the like.
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod