Star control Origins discussion

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Stickman_king_28
Silly Supox

Star control Origins discussion

Post by Stickman_king_28 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:26 pm

This thread is for discussing SC:O, but NO LEGAL STUFF ALLOWED in this thread please. (Its ok to mention just dont go into details pls)

I'll start: I think it's a good game by any standard, alright game, I guess. I mean, It's GOOD. Rough around the edges, races are better than *choke* SC3, just... Missing something. It's good, it's just that GOTP will be better. One complaint is that the character portraits never actually react to what the player is doing. they just loop boring animations. (though the low crew "everythings sparking and blowing up" animations are funny.) What does everyone think about the story and gameplay?
Soo... What were primitive ur-quan like? I just love to speculate about my favorite slave-master caterpillars. That wheezy voice acting tho
I have legal bulls**t phobia

Stickman_king_28
Silly Supox

Re: Star control Origins discussion

Post by Stickman_king_28 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:37 pm

Aww... No replies, oh well. I guess this was a bad idea anyways.
Soo... What were primitive ur-quan like? I just love to speculate about my favorite slave-master caterpillars. That wheezy voice acting tho

krulle
Ilwrath torturer

Post by krulle » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:25 pm

Haven't played it, only saw some Let's Play (all of Maribor's videos on SC:O, and a few select others). (because of topic irrelevant stuff)

Looked a lot like UQM, I like the mechanic to prevent drawn-out fights in the "fleet battle" arena (arena getting smaller with a nebula, and that nebula is poisonous). While we're at the battle arena, I disliked the amount of power ups popping up, and that warp-hole there. Seems like these mechanisms could become very disadvantageous for the AI...

The story?
Hmm... I found the tentacle aquatic beings somewhat realistic in their behaviour, although they've risked too much by telling Humanity with their ONE starship about their federation.
The Tyworm made me smile, but how did these guys survive getting into space???
Actually, I found the Scryve to the closest to a race I would find believable, as well as the rampant hacking software (Trandals).
Otherwise.... well... the story backgrounds seemed extremely known to me (a subgroup of humanity split off and left the Solar System, we find an major opponent, that once was part of a federation (Sentient Milieu/Faction of Eight) and now decided to ensure perpetual safety for themselves by either enslaving or eradicating or genetically modifying (talking pet/the measured) other species.

IF the game would've had the blessing of F&P, or at least not be leaning against SC2, it would be an entertaining story by itself, and the modernized interface would be okay.
Knowing the development announcements (and legal) background, I feel like the game developers cheated, though, which for me severly diminishes the fun.

Also I disliked the planet lander sub-game. There's too little incentive to go grinding for your ship, and too many derelict wracks you can make flying again, but can't convert to RU, nor recrew....
And why would you start hunting critters in this game? They are there, because SC2 had them, but in the Let's Plays I saw no good reason to actually shoot and collect them...

Overall a good game, but lacks the exquisiteness of SC2, which was simply outstanding in entertainment value on the systems back then.
Nowadays a lot of games have nearly equal entertainment value (even thouh less memorable) (modern processing power allows apparently for easier development of entertaining genres), and the sheer amount of modern high-end games simply means that such "choose your own adventure" games get a tad lost...
And the story did not keep up with expectations. Volumewise it is about the same as the story of SC2 (amount of tasks, amount of interaction with aliens), while the whole rest (graphics) has been souped up considerably.
And I'm totally lacked an ending to the original task StarControl was founded for: find out whereto and why the Lexites left.

Oh, I also do not believe GotP willbe better.
Expectations are too high for that.
I would enjoy an experince like 1995 games had. Already better gfx than SC2, better music, but still limitations on game handling, to entirce a bit more the feeling of back then. Maxing out modern systems with games like this is somehwat unlikely, so don't even try.
Why I want GotP then? More than Origins? Because I want to know why the bridge went purple, if there are still Androsynth alive (and where they are, if the also play *time jokes* with the Orz,...), where the Mark II was found/built, how the Pkunk queen turns out for the Yehat, if there are still some Dill-Rats and Thaddash alive, if the home world of the ZFP recovers, how the Spathi feel now we pulled them out under their slaveshield,how Human society copes withthe years under the shield (and the loss of many historic articfacts,, and the return to stars), how the colony on Vega is doing, if the Mycon shatterd more worlds, when will the Druuge hit the final rcession, how the Chmmr develop after their enforced sped-up hybredization process, if there are some Chenjesu and Mmhrnmhrm left (as controlgroup, alsoto man station in orbit if need be), if we can repair the Ultron again (and its real function), and I want to fly to Groombridge and discuss with the intended secondary hint system, if the kids we see in the nding slides are Talana's grandkids too, or if Syreen are actually genetically incompatible with us,......)

Stickman_king_28
Silly Supox

Post by Stickman_king_28 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:43 pm

The ship creator is a big ish plus, i say ish because it lacks enough tools to fine tune, such as making a high energy low crew big boy ship or something. the xraki tumbling around into the viewscreen scared the everloving crap out of me first time seeing em. Also their teeth... WHY? Like the greegrox (good race and they'd be delicious with teriyaki), the free trandals, mu'kay (I think squids are neat), and think that the lexites are kinda budget precursors with a satisfactory story. Overmind trandals and the drenkend are numbingly boring (though i heard the laser ribbon bola that the trandal ships use is OP) and the scryve... they would slap fight the ur quan i bet. for ship designs, I like the phamysht, terrans, i guess mu'kay, drenkend, and suppose that THICC SCRYVE BATTLECRUISER.

palmpet
Ilwrath torturer
Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.

Post by palmpet » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:50 pm

One of the few races I've seen is the Phamysht, they seem fun, and I only recently heard their name said aloud and I felt like an idiot for not noticing lol.
"What's the point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."

Stickman_king_28
Silly Supox

Post by Stickman_king_28 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:18 pm

Well i FINALLY got a copy and it is quite fun.

Stickman_king_28
Silly Supox

Post by Stickman_king_28 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:21 pm

WOOT! BEAT ORIIGINSSS!!!

Serosis
Hunam adventurer

Post by Serosis » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:58 pm

I'm curious, in your opinion, how was it?
Get The Ur-Quan Masters MegaMod HERE

Stickman_king_28
Silly Supox

Post by Stickman_king_28 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:14 pm

Short and sweet, but sort of needs polishing. More depth to quests, and NO AFTERMATH GOING-TO-EVERY-STARBASE-FOR-NO-REWARD. (beat aftermath in 1-2 hours)