Startropy, a SC2-like game in development!

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Startropy
ZEXy Beast

Startropy, a SC2-like game in development!

Post by Startropy » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:21 pm

Hi all,

My name is Dave and I've been working on making my own SC2-like for the past few years now. Ironically I originally started work on it as I just really loved SC2 and was kinda mystified that the genre it invented never really took off despite its praise. Now of course we have SC:O and the title formerly known as Ghost of the Precursors to look forward to, and in turn my game has slowly been morphing into my own spin on the genre.

It still has what I consider the core elements of what makes a SC2-like: That is the resource collecting, space combat, exploration, and interacting with interesting aliens, though those systems have taken on more of a RPG spin to it which I hope other SC2 fans here will enjoy.

Sample shots of the game so far:

Game map:

Orbiting planet:

Aliens:
Image Image

Traversing across a planet:

Planet samples:
Image Image

No definite release date as yet but I've been working full steam and hope to get it done by the end of next year. The game will be available on Steam and, I will apply for distribution on GoG as well.
Last edited by Startropy on Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

palmpet
Ilwrath torturer
Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.

Re: Startropy, a SC2-like game in development!

Post by palmpet » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:26 am

Interesting. I'll keep an eye out for this!
"What's the point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:01 pm

Looks neat, though it's impossible to judge gameplay based on the screens of course. The cartoony art style is charming, though I would prefer to see the aliens in motion rather than the backgrounds. My only real complaint is that your lightning is striking upside down, which is annoying the crap out of me (for no real good reason).

Stickman_king_28
Silly Supox

Post by Stickman_king_28 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:49 pm

It looks great to me.
Yes, that's all fine and dandy but WHEN GOTP?

Startropy
ZEXy Beast

Post by Startropy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:25 pm

Draxas wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:01 pm
Looks neat, though it's impossible to judge gameplay based on the screens of course. The cartoony art style is charming, though I would prefer to see the aliens in motion rather than the backgrounds. My only real complaint is that your lightning is striking upside down, which is annoying the crap out of me (for no real good reason).
I went with the upside down lightning for its surreal looking qualities. Its real world depiction is pretty mesmerising with an example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jkfnIBJRBQ&t=0m20s

I'm planning to add more "normal" lightning as well. But for these promotional-type shots I wanted to emphasise how alien the worlds you visit can be. :)

krulle
Reborn Shofixti

Post by krulle » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:05 pm

Actually, down-upwards lightning is not uncommon.
Most lightnings are a combination of both, in the visible spectrum...

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:53 pm

Honestly, it's not so much the lightning striking upward (which I knew is a natural occurrence), it's more the fact that it is doing so so slowly. To actually be able to distinguish strike direction like in that video, you need to use some very fast motion photography. Seeing it just lazily trail across the sky like that (especially in the "wrong" direction) is definitely why it is bothering me.

Startropy
ZEXy Beast

Post by Startropy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:49 am

Hey guys, a small update of an example of a "hellworld" that you'll find ingame:

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:12 pm

The steam effects look pretty cool, though they might be looping a little too fast. Based on that description, though, I would expect something more... well, hellish. It looks like the aftermath of a volcanic eruption, and with the glassy black sheet, it's not even that recent. I would have expected flowing lava, erupting flames or ejections, possibly pillars or stalagmites of volcanic rock. This looks way too inactive for such an evocative term.