Free Stars: Children of Infinity [SPOILERS!]

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

palmpet
*Has Civil War*
Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.

Re: Free Stars: Children of Infinity [SPOILERS!]

Post by palmpet »

krulle wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:50 am
Debrief Extract: The Nanobe wrote: Meanwhile, the impossibly tiny nanobe that isn't supposed to be able to exist is insistent that we communicate with it... and it says it's got a gift for us.
While I like the idea, this also sounds a lot like XChagger, although there are differences...

i wonder if the image disclosed at Kickstarter start shows the Nanobes:
Looks like a Nanobe, and a Nanobot.
Thats funny, I think every star control project after 2 came up with a microscopic race concept. I think just cause 2 didn't do one lol. 3 had the Xchaggers, Origins had the Pinthi, even Project 6014 had the Lurg!

In a sci-fi setting where each race needs to have unique gimmicks I think its inevitable to run into crossover of concepts like this.
"What's the point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."
krulle
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by krulle »

Still catching up after a long weekend... :D

And yes, at a point where you want to go to the extremes, this follows.
But actually, I liked about FreeStars: The Ur-Quan Masters, that it contained only very few "far-off speculative" races: the Supox (intelligent plants); and the ZFP/Zebranky (multiple intelligent races which did NOT eliminate each other during their evolution) and the Slylandro (although there no tech possibility sounds realistic).

As long as the relation of "likely" to "unlikely" races remains high, all will work.

(and regarding races: SC3 had some very nice ones, I really liked a lot of the stories there - pity the game got implemented so bad I couldn't finish it because of the bugs without cheating)

FleetCom Log: Alien DNA research wrote:Image

VOICE 1:

Maybe. I'll tell you what these puppies aren't: they aren't a product of natural evolution. Not anymore, at least. Someone primed the uplift pump here, practically left a roadmap for what to do next.
Sounds like a time for somersaults:
krulle
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by krulle »

Anyone interested in spoilers from the development streams?

01-05-2024: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/2134655760 , about minute 24:00, Dan shows the hyperspace map, and how they explored a version of hyperspace which is different than the UQM version (where you could put on AutoPilot and have it fly in a straight line).
These are ideas of how to implement HyperSpace....
It's not set in stone, but ideas of how to make HyperSpace a bit more interesting.

They will have a special stream on the last day of the kickstarter.
krulle
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by krulle »

https://twitter.com/theurquanmaster/status/1787540592769343587 wrote:How would an alien look if it was as small as the smallest things in our universe? What would enable communication? How would it express itself? These questions and more in our interview with the artist of "The Nanobes" in Free Stars: Children of Infinity.
Youtube-link
If you just want the newspost with some images:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pi ... ts/4094527
Stickman_king_28
Orz *camper*

Post by Stickman_king_28 »

At the time of writing, crowdfunding is either over or almost done. I, like many others, feel obligated to state my great anticipation.
I wrote an in-depth study on Inter-Dimensional Fatigue. I wonder why nobody ever responds when I send it to them.
krulle
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by krulle »

Oh yeah, we all do! (Hence I am posting so much here and here. :D )
Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture »

I wonder if the new region of space for CoI will have remnants of the Ur Quan or Kohr Ah migrations. Maybe we will find some slave shielded species or ruins where the Kohr Ah have been through
Niffiwan
Silly Supox

Post by Niffiwan »

Man, I was signed up to their mailing list but the emails went straight to spam, and I happened to check my spam folder only after the Kickstarter was over. Oh, well. Still looking forward to this, as it looks very interesting. I like that they're keeping most of the game mechanics and the art style looks to have the same feel as the original, as well!

Actually, it reminds me a bit of some of the artwork I saw in the abandoned Ur-Quan Masters HD project, but better. Maybe once they finish the game and if all goes well, they could remake the original UQM in the same style.

It seems to be the time for such things (I just recently saw that Myst and Riven are getting the same treatment...).

Although I've got to admit that I was hoping for smooth angles when turning the ships during Melee combat. Hope it could be an option, anyway.
Member since March 14, 2003
Mormont
Silly Supox

Post by Mormont »

Good news, smooth turning angles have been long-confirmed.

I doubt they'll bother to remake UQM, it's already free and there's even HD art available (an up-to-date version is included in Megamod as an option). Could end up as a community modding project though.
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas »

Niffiwan wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:31 amActually, it reminds me a bit of some of the artwork I saw in the abandoned Ur-Quan Masters HD project, but better. Maybe once they finish the game and if all goes well, they could remake the original UQM in the same style.
If I'm not mistaken, Dczanik (who did the artwork for the HD mod) is one of the staff artists with Pistol Shrimp now, so that's probably more than a passing resemblance.