Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 118, 119, 120, 121, 122  Next
 Post subject: Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:41 pm 
Ilwrath spawn

The Troglodyte wrote:
Hmmm… what’s this on sensors? Oh great! More Thraddash. Oh well, here we go again. Battle Stations.
Ain't that nice of them? They're packing their ships and carrying all the RU to you.
Just enjoy it, while you're in their space.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:07 am 
Atum-ta the Sixth

Well yes, but the whole point of returning to this timeline was to avoid having the Ilwrath commit genocide against the Thraddash (and themselves). If he has to commit genocide against the Thraddash instead, why bother?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:04 am 
Ilwrath spawn

You're right, yet he sent them off against the Kohr-Ah.
And if I remember correctly, the AI ship handling will make it a very clear win for the Kohr-Ah. The whole Thraddash fleet against maybe 3 or 4 Marauders being destroyed.

Against the Ilwrath, the Thraddash at least stood a chance.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:13 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

As we've seen elsewhere, plot events do not necessarily follow game mechanics at all, let alone the outcomes of AI battles.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:36 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Oct 21, 2157 – HyperSpace {257.3 : 831.1} (Just Outside Delta Draconis) – Red Alert

We ran into some more Thraddash as we left the system. Their greeting has changed somewhat; they admitted that we can fight after all, but they wanted to continue conducting tests, as in repeatedly fighting with us to test our battle prowess.

They know that their speedy little warships can outmaneuver our flagship and they still seem convinced that their Mark 6 Blaster must be more powerful than our “puny” Hellbore Cannons. Perhaps another demonstration is in order.

We lied and told them that we have secret powerful weapons that we will use to evaporate their planet, but they responded that they want to take our weapons from us… by force! And then they attacked. Oh wait! That means they’re attacking us now. I’d better switch my focus to the Thraddash ships approaching!

We are going to Battle Stations! Captain out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Supplemental:

We have destroyed the entire squadron of 4 Torches. We will continue on course to Epsilon Draconis. Zelnick out.
Captain’s Log – Oct 24, 2157 – Epsilon Draconis – Status: Green

After our battle with the Thraddash outside of Delta Draconis, there was another bogey nearby moving in on our position, presumably another battle squadron of Torches, but our auto-pilot had engaged our engines and we hit into HyperDrive before the Thraddash could enter weapon’s range, so we proceeded towards Epsilon Draconis with our shadow following closely behind, and before we made it to our destination, they had been joined by two other groups, which are now waiting outside of the system for us to exit.

The Epsilon Draconis System is a white dwarf star with 9 planets:

Planet 1 – Medium Yellow (partially obscured – unknown temperature zone)
Planet 2 – Medium Yellow (cool zone)
Planet 3 – Medium Cyan
Planet 4 – Orange Gas Giant
Planet 5 – Green Gas Giant
Planet 6 – Orange gas giant
Planet 7 – Small Yellow
Planet 8 – Medium Cyan
Planet 9 – Small Yellow

We cancelled yellow alert after we entered the system and conducted a sensor sweep and determined that there aren’t any Thraddash within the system, at least none that are currently in detectable range.

One possible reason for the absence of Thraddash ships in the system could be because they have all joined the fleet on their way to attack the Kohr-Ah per our recommendation. To verify, I brought up the starmap and could see the Thraddash’s SOI is no longer overlapping the Epsilon Draconis star, so it would seem their afterburners are getting them there quicker than I had expected!

I’m actually highly tempted to explore this entire system from top to bottom, since with its numerous gas planets gives their likelihood of containing many moons, plus there’s more than the usual number of medium-sized planets with a total of 4, but we won’t be checking out the planets, except for one.

From our previous explorations, anytime there’s a Rainbow World in any given system, it shows on long-range planetary scan as an innermost medium yellow, and it looks like ours fits the bill!

We will set course for the 1st planet. Captain out.
Captain’s Log – Oct 24, 2157 – Epsilon Draconis I

It is certainly a Rainbow World! And she’s a beaut!:

We will send down the Lander to gather the massive supply of radioactive metals, and in the meantime, I’m going to speak with Astrophysics and see if we can pinpoint some kind of correlation between the rainbow worlds we’ve discovered so far to see if we can ascertain some kind of possible pattern. Zelnick out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:50 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Captain’s Log – Oct 25, 2157 – Epsilon Draconis I

The planet’s surface was very hot, with lava and fire seeping from beneath, spitting up at us through the brightly lit rainbow swirl of colors, while lightning bolts rained down from above. We gathered a total of 164 units of radioactives, including 29 plutonium, 55 thorium, 50 neptunium and 30 protactinium. Unfortunately, during the 2nd trip we suffered a few casualties on the surface, so I’ve had the StarGazer send over some crew transfers to keep the Vindicator at full strength.

I know I could’ve easily used the time portal to fix everything and reverse the deaths and try again, but I already realize that we’ll probably be doing more experimentation with our interactions with the Thraddash, since after all, I don’t really expect their mission to destroy the Kohr-Ah will be very successful, so after we learn what we can (which by our estimations should be pretty soon) we can revert things back and try another approach, while keeping the notion for being able to send the Thraddash on a Marauder attack run in our back pocket, just in case.

We are still unable to discern a pattern in the locations of the Rainbow Worlds we’ve recorded, although we’ve only found 4 so far, which are Zeta Sextantis and Gamma Kepler, both of which are in the lower central region, crossing from VUX into Mycon space, and the other pairing is Beta Pegasi and Epsilon Draconis, both of which reside in the upper left region, from above Arilou space going into Thraddash territory.

We put the Vindicator’s computer on the job to see what results it could produce for perceiving any kind of logical pattern, but the computer pretty much spit out shapes and such, pointing out that connected together they would produce a stretched trapezoid-like quadrilateral shape, or using any given side as a base, then it could produce a triangle with the star on its opposite end, or two triangles if you apply the inversion of simultaneous bases.

If you connected the left one on the top with the left one on the bottom, they would run semi-parallel to one another, or the lines that would cross each other if connected to their opposite side near the Alpha Cassiopeiae star, in Zoq-Fot-Pik/Ur-Quan/Kohr-Ah space, but I doubt that’s an actual productive conclusion. It would seem that we will need to find more of these planets (and according to our other alien sources there are 6 more to find in somewhere in this region of space) to possibly detect the pattern, so we’ll set this back on back-burner for now.

Since the Thraddash have almost vacated the region at maximum speed, with the exception of those stragglers outside this system, we’ll see if they’ve also abandoned their assumed posts where they guard their treasured Aqua Helix artifact.

We will set course for Zeta Draconis. Red Alert. Captain out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:25 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Captain’s Log – Oct 26, 2157 – HyperSpace {283.6 : 785.8} (Just outside Epsilon Draconis)

We have engaged the Thraddash twice in battle since our departure of the Epsilon Draconis system. The first set, consisting of 3 Torches, was right on top of us immediately as we entered Hyperspace, but I was a bit surprised by their greeting:

They admitted that we may actually have some backbone after all (with considerations extended to our resident invertebrates -- I’m looking at you Fwiffo!) but they still feel the Ur-Quan Dreadnought is far superior and they remain convinced that fusion bolts are still better than hellbores. They really should take a quick glance at our Ur-Quan battle reports before making such an assessment. How many demonstrations do these guys need? The stubborn Thraddash seem to line up in a row, fully willing to run like moths towards a bonfire as we pop them out of space faster than popcorn dumped in hot grease! Very well.

Speaking of which, after their first wave was destroyed in about 30 seconds, here comes another knocking on our door before we can get underway, but this time it was just a single Torch, so after the usual pleasantries we sent in a Skiff to handle our light work, which they did with no trouble, even though the Vindicator could’ve done the job much faster. (Insert smug sniff)

There were still more Thraddash moving in on our position, but this time we managed to slip past their ships and we are currently on course for Zeta Draconis, which is fine by me; these constant dealings with the Thraddash are becoming rather tiresome… Yawn, press fire button, rinse, repeat. Captain out.
Captain’s Log – Zeta Draconis – Oct 30, 2157 – Yellow Alert

We have arrived in the Zeta Draconis System again (well, not again for everybody except me) and there doesn’t seem to be any Thraddash ships in the vicinity. Strange… a residual fleet of theirs seems to persist to follow us through HyperSpace, but they seem to have abandoned all of the posts within their most important star systems. Curious.

We will stay on high alert as we proceed towards the 1st planet. Zelnick out.
Captain’s Log – Zeta Draconis I – Oct 31, 2157

Once again, this seemed a little too easy. There were no Thraddash ships in orbit and the Aqua Helix was left unguarded. We picked up the Thraddash artifact and returned to the ship. Do they actually ever guard this thing? And how come I can’t ever prevent Private Hendryx from grabbing it, causing it to lose its glow? I suppose I could go back in time to when we first entered orbit and replace Hendryx on the away team, but then somebody else would probably end up grabbing instead, so whatever.

Before heading back, I’d like to seek out some Melnorme and see if selling them a fourth rainbow location will open up more information or items for sale. Probably not very likely, but it’s worth a shot, but since there’s such heavy Thraddash activity, it wouldn’t be wise to attempt to summon the Melnorme with the Umgah ’Caster, so we’ll have to track them down the old way. Fortunately, there’s a supergiant star nearby. I’ll admit it though… we’re just finding something to do while we monitor the Thraddash “armada”.

We will set course for Alpha Apodis. Captain out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:13 pm 
Ilwrath spawn

The Troglodyte wrote:
There were no Thraddash ships in orbit and the Aqua Helix was left unguarded. We picked up the Thraddash artifact and returned to the ship. Do they actually ever guard this thing?

Have you in your replays tried to visit this world before you've sent them away, or the Ilwrath to them? Or (re-)visited this world when they were not preoccupied (anymore)?

Just luring you into using your time portal to go way back and try this or that, then return to this time-line...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:31 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

krulle wrote:
The Troglodyte wrote:
There were no Thraddash ships in orbit and the Aqua Helix was left unguarded. We picked up the Thraddash artifact and returned to the ship. Do they actually ever guard this thing?

Have you in your replays tried to visit this world before you've sent them away, or the Ilwrath to them? Or (re-)visited this world when they were not preoccupied (anymore)?

Just luring you into using your time portal to go way back and try this or that, then return to this time-line...

No need for a lure; I’m already planning that anyhow. I mean, unless I somehow get the report that the Thraddash have utterly destroyed the Marauder menace and the Sa-Matra along with it, and the credits begin to roll, I’ll most likely revert things to before we ever met the Thraddash and start from scratch and see what happens.

Of course a visit to Zeta Draconis will be in order and (similar to what I did way back when experimenting with Orz dialogue at Delta Vulpeculae II-C) I may even see what happens if first contact is made at their Aqua Helix world.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:11 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Nov 5, 2157 – Alpha Apodis – Status: Green

We have refueled our vessel and our prepared to depart from this system. We spent several days looking for the Melnorme Trader ship assigned to this system, but once we did, it was pretty much the norm. Unfortunately, that also meant there was nothing new for us to purchase, even after selling them the whereabouts of another rainbow world, but wait a sec, I’m getting ahead of myself…

When we entered the system, I had us bring up the starmap immediately. The Thraddash’s SOI has been moving in a quick steady pace towards the center of Ur-Quan space in a coreward-downspin direction and they are currently engulfing the entire Chameleon Constellation, as well as the Gemini and Dorado stars, and it is approximately centered over Epsilon Chamaeleon[t]is, with the outer southernly edges almost touching Beta Crucis and the Altair star.

Taking a look at the display a bit closer (and using the time portal to review a few times) it would appear that the Thraddash’s movement has suddenly halted, and, if our careful study of their circular ring is correct, it has possibly begun to shrink, but it’s still too early to tell for certain. We will have to continue to monitor, but we’ll be doing so much more meticulously over these next few days.

Speaking of galactic activity, the Mycon’s fleet dismantlement, courtesy of the Syreen, has begun, and the Pkunk are on the verge of settling back into their nests back in Gamma Krueger.

In the meantime, we may as well head back to base and have them analyze the Aqua Helix, even though I’ve already read the report before. It pretty much goes like this: Unknown design. Unknown origin. Unknown function. We will set course for Starbase. Captain out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 118, 119, 120, 121, 122  Next