Let's talk about Star Control 3.....

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

palmpet
Ilwrath torturer
Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.

Re: Let's talk about Star Control 3.....

Post by palmpet » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:25 pm

The thing is...I got star control 3 on GOG and it automatically starts dosbox and Puts in the command...so I don't really know how to use it. I know how to get into dobox but I don' know what to do from there.
"What's the point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:01 am

palmpet wrote:The thing is...I got star control 3 on GOG and it automatically starts dosbox and Puts in the command...so I don't really know how to use it. I know how to get into dobox but I don' know what to do from there.
Could you somehow find which config file it uses for dosbox? I don't have the GOG version and I can't really emulate your situation without buying SC3 from them ;).

Mormont
Hunam adventurer

Post by Mormont » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:17 pm

Storywise, I think SC3's Eternal Ones plotline and a lot of the new races were pretty good. Not as compelling as the Ur-quan, but it works well enough. The idea of the quadrant being run by a corrupt and incompetent semi-empire who are utterly unprepared for the real threat destabilizing the galaxy is pretty good, even though it could have been fleshed out more. I even think the Precursor cow idea is interesting in a goofy kind of way.

A lot of the SC2 races didn't really fit in though. Even with half the original cast cut out, they still struggled to find things for them to do - like do we really need to fix the Ultron again? I like the idea of splitting the Chmmr but it doesn't go anywhere. The Vux did get some of the funniest non-copied dialog though ("What do you know, NO RESOURCES!")

But really, you could take most or all of the SC2 races out altogether and it wouldn't change the main plot THAT much. They could have put the work into adding 6-10 races to develop the Kessari Quadrant more instead. Like the idea of "inter-dimensional fatigue" causing strange things to happen is good; they should have pushed it a lot farther than a few star systems collapsing. The "ancients" race is a pretty common sci-fi trope, so the Precursors could easily be replaced with something similar. Accolade wanted to slowly phase out all the SC1/2 stuff so they could eventually use the name "Star Control" without needing to credit or pay TFB for anything, and it shows.

Basically, SC3's plotline could have easily taken place in its own universe not named "Star Control" instead. With that and a couple more iterations on polishing the gameplay, I think it would be regarded as a good SC-inspired game. Even as it is, I still think it's a decent game on its own merits.

palmpet
Ilwrath torturer

Post by palmpet » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:33 pm

I recently remembered some gameplay bugs and oversights that irked me. Like how when you make a Doog colony if you speak to it the game thinks that coloy is owned by the Crux so you have to pay off their non-existant debt.

Another thing is how there is an Owa ship artifact despite never being obtainable in the story. Even worse is once you turn all the Mycon into "Green" Mycon their artifact doesn't even work for them.

And most annoying of all is that once you ally with the K'tang you cannot speak to any of their planets... there is no dialogue to be had with allied K'tang. You can't even make K'tang colonies despite being able to put K'tang in your colony ship. Similarly you can't make colonies for the Ploxis rebels but that's more excusable.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:02 pm

palmpet wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:33 pm
... there is an Owa ship artifact despite never being obtainable in the story....
I think you refer to antimatter collection vehicle. In five attempts of the playing through I only managed to obtain it twice. It's one of the event triggering bugs the game is rich with.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

palmpet
Ilwrath torturer

Post by palmpet » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:34 pm

Alvarin wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:02 pm
palmpet wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:33 pm
... there is an Owa ship artifact despite never being obtainable in the story....
I think you refer to antimatter collection vehicle. In five attempts of the playing through I only managed to obtain it twice. It's one of the event triggering bugs the game is rich with.
Actually no. I mean one of the optional ship upgrade attifacts.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:51 am

Oh, artifact for Owa ships, misinterpreted it...
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

palmpet
Ilwrath torturer

Post by palmpet » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:34 pm

Alvarin wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:51 am
Oh, artifact for Owa ships, misinterpreted it...
That's alright. Speaking of, I do like the artifact ship upgrade system. I like having a little more incentive to explore instead of just plot coupons. If I remember correctly, wasn't there something like them in the original Star Control?

krulle
Ilwrath torturer

Post by krulle » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:54 pm

Yes, SC1 had precursor ship upgrades which could be found, and improved the ship.

Origins has something similar, but happening only during battle, and for that battle only....

I don't remember them for SC3 though...

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:17 pm

They were certainly there. I can remember collecting piles of them, but never actually using them. I felt that they would break what was already a pretty shallow difficulty curve, not that combat was an especially prominent part of the story mode in SC3.