Sequels strife

Ahh, vague omens and mysterious portents. Tangled webs of fate intertwined with the branches of destiny, blown by the capricious winds of happenstance. News, news....uh, actually there is some news!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

PRH
ZEXy Beast

Re: Sequels strife

Post by PRH » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:47 pm

I've just seen the video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E95izB4i0G4). Lior Leser criticizes F&P for sending the DMCA notice against SCO, saying that they've had their way now, but that will only antagonize Stardock and their fans (which is already happening). Leser says that if and when F&P release GotP, Stardock is likely to retaliate by issuing a DMCA against it (and possibly starting a new lawsuit). He believes that the only way the fans of both games could win is if the case is settled. But that's only possible if both sides are acting in good faith... And at this point I can't be sure if either side is acting in good faith.

krulle
Ilwrath torturer

Post by krulle » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:04 pm

I saw Leser announcing his video on Brad's twitter feed, and it seemed like he pulled all the information he needed to form an opinion from Stardock's Q&A thread, and Mr. Wardell's twitter rants.
He also ver one-sided announced to give him the link todistribute it further, if he wants. He did not, afaik, offer the same to F&P.... [Edit]Sorry, mixed that up with some blogcasterIsaw here.[/edit]
From the get-go at that moment I decided to not watch it.

krulle
Ilwrath torturer

Post by krulle » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:15 pm

Gamedaily has an opinion about this too, but apparently they think GotP would be done under Activision's umbrella.
Anyway, their opinion abbreviates as "Too late for an effective DMCA, wrong timing for maximum damages/financial influence, and the DMCA also seems to be abusing the procedure of using the legal court system. And the fight seems to less one between corporations, than between (former) family members, who often seek maximum hurt instead of best solutions."...

Now and Forever
Hunam adventurer

Post by Now and Forever » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:44 pm

krulle wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:15 pm
Gamedaily has an opinion about this too, but apparently they think GotP would be done under Activision's umbrella.
Anyway, their opinion abbreviates as "Too late for an effective DMCA, wrong timing for maximum damages/financial influence, and the DMCA also seems to be abusing the procedure of using the legal court system. And the fight seems to less one between corporations, than between (former) family members, who often seek maximum hurt instead of best solutions."...
I dismiss that notion on he basis of one of the parties stating they were going to infringe via email before they launched their lawsuit.
Attention Interloper

krulle
Ilwrath torturer

Post by krulle » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:07 pm

That email will hurt Stardock even more.
Even if the court finds that SC:O is not infringing SC2 copyrights, the court might deny damages for the faulty DMCA, because the e-mail basically told FF and PR that Stardock will use all aliens and settings from SC2, and that therefore Origins is infringing, and therefore FFand PR had to contest SC:O distribution because they could reasonably expect infringing material inside the game.

Now and Forever
Hunam adventurer

Post by Now and Forever » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:55 pm

krulle wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:07 pm
That email will hurt Stardock even more.
Even if the court finds that SC:O is not infringing SC2 copyrights, the court might deny damages for the faulty DMCA, because the e-mail basically told FF and PR that Stardock will use all aliens and settings from SC2, and that therefore Origins is infringing, and therefore FFand PR had to contest SC:O distribution because they could reasonably expect infringing material inside the game.
Which would be a great outcome for Stardock considering their current predicament where they tried to trademark the copyrighted aliens they also created, then published, content for.
Attention Interloper

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:44 pm

By 'great' do you mean 'not great at all' or am I missing an implication?

krulle
Ilwrath torturer

Post by krulle » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:50 pm

Sarcasm is badly transferred via the electronic lines of the InterWebs.

Now and Forever
Hunam adventurer

Post by Now and Forever » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:43 pm

Death 999 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:44 pm
By 'great' do you mean 'not great at all' or am I missing an implication?
Yeah sorry that didn't read well. But indeed it would be a "great" outcome for them since they did actually steal their ideas and content for Origins. What I was implying was "they would be lucky to even get this...".
Attention Interloper

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:23 am

I just saw a tweet from Brad that SCO is back on Steam. Was there some update we didn’t hear about?